Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Cougar

Finally got a Gibson - a 2015 Custom Shop J-45 Flamed Maple. It's got some nice abalone-type inlays on the dot fret markers and the Gibson logo on the headstock. The red stain could have been a little more translucent but I'm not complaining.

When it came in, the action was rather high, and the neck was bowed a bit. After a setup, OK! Nice thumpy bass, good balance across all strings, which ring out quite well. And the rosewood fretboard was not real light like pictured in the ad - It's got a very nce rosewood hue. Pleased with my first Gibson!.

jff334.jpg

jff339.jpg

jff340.jpg

jff342.jpg

jff343.jpg

jff346.jpg

jff347.jpg

People, do you remember your first Gibson? It's gotta be a happy NGGD/Weekend for Mr Cougar. . . and judging by your presence here on the 'board, a long time comin'.

It was only last night that I was just looking (yeah, "just looking"- we know how that usually ends) at the maple J-45's on Wildwood's site- they have 4 new, and one used. A Maple would normally be a tough way to enter J-45land, but considering Cougar's Epiphone Experience, I'm sure the transition will be all good.

Yes, congrats indeed. Now we dare you to share a clip (preferably something lighter than Greg (Wildwood) Koch's bill of fare) !

It looks great, and the (Wine Red?) finish must surely come alive at night. Enjoy.

That will get some attention.

The only maple J-45 I've ever played was a 1944 Banner. It was dry and punchy, with a quick decay, very different from its mahogany cousins, but in a good way.

Enjoy!

I’m a huge fan of Maple slopes. I played a Maple J45 many years ago and fell in love with it, and have been chasing a Maple slope ever since, eventually ending up with a Maple CS AJ as you know. I love the way that the roundness and warmth of a slope dread compliments the Maple tone and really brings out a three dimensional projection.

I hope you enjoy this one for many years to come-she looks like a beauty!

Beautiful guitar!

I’ve never had my hands on a J45 maple.

When JT made his CD using the Banners, he had us pick our favorite guitar sounding number without knowing which guitar was used. I chose the maple.

Since then I’ve noticed that just sitting alone and playing I prefer the sound of RW but when recording the maple wins hands down.

I have maple in other models and really like them.

Enjoy it!

. . .

When JT made his CD using the Banners, he had us pick our favorite guitar sounding number without knowing which guitar was used. I chose the maple.

Since then I’ve noticed that just sitting alone and playing I prefer the sound of RW but when recording the maple wins hands down.

It does seem that you are not alone in the observation that maple records well- the same preference turned up for the maple J-45 when I did a little demo of some 1940's slopes (J-45 mahogany top, J-45 maple, and SJ), all strung with strings of the same type and age.

They did have a little problem with finish delamination back then. . . this was one person's fix for that:

YOWSN7R.png

Archived