Gibson Brands Forums

nuts

crust

Sometimes, yes, occasionally, I really do a "job" on my Bigsby equip,guitars, just slamming and banging the whammy bar thing. I guess I do that, because it is"there" and that is what they are on there for, to variate the pitch. I also do believe I may not be the only 1 that does that, occasionally. Guess what happens, after doing that. Hmm, You all know what happens.. the thing no longer will be in tune, after a somewhat aggressive work out, using that thing on there. I have put a "roller" bridge thing on a couple things, which has somewhat reduced the severity of the "detuning" that does occur, when doing that. But, that occurrence and condition is not totally eliminated.with just and only a roller type bridge. Now, I an considering changing the nut, or maybe also using graphite type saddle things, instead of the roller bridge.. I do kind of hope you, or someone, might have done some things to their guitar:(s) with similar stock components, that you may have modified or changed out the items I just mentioned, to reduce that condition a little. Bone, tusq,,brass, aluminum, Teflon, graphite, or something else maybe ? or even a "roller nut" thing, maybe.I haven't done very many modifications to what is here, except to install a "drop in" roller bridge thing. But, I wouldn't mind doing a few more things that might improve the tuning stability, even if it only a very tiny amount. I'm just a bit curious a little, as to how to make this kind of common condition, a bit less of that type of thing that does happen by giving the wang bar thing a good work out. So, what advice about that might you have, or suggest,, other than don;t slam on it as much, about that ? thanksmsp_thumbup.gif

peacesmile.gif

I just moved this tremolo from another guitar on to this one yesterday and slammed it really hard at an improv session today.. really solid working device.. one thing you need to make sure of is that strings don't stick on the nut..... a little dry graphite works wonders.............

cTYjlbP.jpg

I just moved this tremolo from another guitar on to this yesterday and slammed it really hard at an improve session today.. really solid working device.. one thing you need to make sure of is that strings don't stick on the nut.....

cTYjlbP.jpg

That thing, there, looks good to me.smile.gif.but what material might be the very most "frictionless", and durable as well ? tusq maybe ? of these and this matter, I am presently kind of, well, of these things, as such, I need a bit more, "exposure", yes, about, "nut material", I am kind of dum about that, and stuff , presently.I kind of believe a tusq nut thing may be less apt to "stick", or, some type of graphite thing, maybe. Are saddles and nuts made from Teflon stuff ? or, is that too soft, maybe. These things I do not know, presently, but, I am trying, a little eusa_think.gif. And thank you for the reply, nice guitar you got there too. msp_thumbup.gif

That thing, there, looks good to me.smile.gif.but what material might be the very most "frictionless", and durable as well ? tusq maybe ? of these and this matter, I am presently kind of, well, of these things, as such, I need a bit more, "exposure", yes, about, "nut material", I am kind of dum about that, and stuff , presently.I kind of believe a tusq nut thing may be less apt to "stick", or, some type of graphite thing, maybe. Are saddles and nuts made from Teflon stuff ? or, is that too soft, maybe. These things I do not know, presently, but, I am trying, a little eusa_think.gif. And thank you for the reply, nice guitar you got there too. msp_thumbup.gif

usually most stock nuts are plastic. you can get teflon or graphite but I have found that dry graphite dry lock lubricant really helps. this RH explorer below is using a LH tremolo with a roller bridge and using the stop bar for better angle on the strings going over the bridge. works quite well.

WIA0zQr.jpg

usually most stock nuts are plastic. you can get teflon or graphite but I have found that dry graphite dry lock lubricant really helps. this RH explorer below is using a LH tremolo with a roller bridge and using the stop bar for better angle on the strings going over the bridge. works quite well.

WIA0zQr.jpg

that thing there, well, it is a bit different, in a very good way,That is my opinion of that. I may just get some powdered molybdenum lubricant and try that in the string slots Thank you for your suggestions, Now I want your Explorer...lol, really msp_biggrin.gif that thing looks like it's ready to...make some noise mellow.gifsmile.gif

get yerself a tube of Big Bends Nut Sauce, Lube the nut, the saddle, and the roller bar, (any place where the string makes contact with the hardware.)

there's utube vids on just how to apply. costs about 20 bucks and will last a longtime.

that thing there, well, it is a bit different, in a very good way,That is my opinion of that. I may just get some powdered molybdenum lubricant and try that in the string slots Thank you for your suggestions, Now I want your Explorer...lol, really msp_biggrin.gif that thing looks like it's ready to...make some noise mellow.gifsmile.gif

The Explorer I built from a kit, because I couldn't find one set up the way I wanted..

my DIY Explorer Link.. hmm... I see you have been there in the past..

FYI.. a "Roller Nut" can be kind of weird to install because the top dead center of the roller has to be in the same position as the leading edge of a normal nut or the intonation will be off..

Archived