Gibson Brands Forums

Sg special questions

SGus

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum,and although i share my first name with a famous SG axeman,i'm no great expert on the guitar!.

I recently bought an SG Special off ebay which i believe is a 2005 model.When i went to play it tonight i noticed the top E string was buzzing i think off the 1st fret.Sorry for my ignorance,(cos i don't know the proper name!)but could the white bridge like piece just at the head be worn so as to drop the string onto the fret?.Is it easily replaced?.

Also,the neck at the join seems to be a darker cherry colour than the guitar body,is this normal?!.......i'm beginning to think i have a lemon in my midst?!!

Cheers.Gus.

A picture's worth a thousand words. Can you post one? Slight color variation isn't uncommon. The bit at the end is called the nut and that could be the cause of the problem but there are other considerations as well. Have you had it professionally setup? That's like a tuneup for a car. If you bought it used it may just need a few adjustments.

I'll try and get a picture sorted.The guitar has never been properly set up since i've had it.I restrung it from left to right handed,and up to tonight it has sounded ok( For a rank amatuer!).

As i say it was only tonight i noticed the buzz,and saw the "nut" was more worn on the top E than the others.I have tried screwing up the bridge to lift the string,butits still not right.

Is it possible while it was strung left handed,the low E string has damaged the nut,sitting in the wrong groove?!.

Cheers.Gus

The darker color at the neck joint is normal, my Special is like that too. The nut could be the result of the previous owner trying to widen and deepen up the slots to stop the strings from binding in the nut. By binding, I'm talking about the common problem on Gibsons where certain strings (usually the B and G, but it can be any of them) get stuck in the nut slot due to it being too narrow. If that's that problem, you can get a new nut made and the tech will cut the slots to the right size for you.

Dont need to cut a new nut. Simply mix up a batch of clear Epoxy,work some into the nut slot with a toothpick,wipe away the excess, and let dry overnight. Works perfectly,in fact, had to do it recently on the D string on my '61 re-issue,my '72 Strat, and a number of other guitars I've owned.

Archived