Gibson Brands Forums

Radio Shack microphones?

RudyH

I know the Shure SM57 is the microphone of choice for recording guitar from an amp, but I really don't want to spend that much money. The Radio Shack microphones for around $40 are closer to what I'm willing to spend. Are they any good for recording guitar? Is any particular model preferable?

Thanks.

I agree with the advice, but ignored it and got one of the Radio Shack models. I tried it and it is suitable for what I do, which is just keeping an audio diary of my playing. I plug it into a Boss BR Micro. It's actually better than I thought it would be. The microphone comes with a 20 foot cable that ends in a 1/4" mono plug, and comes with a holder. I also got a desktop stand for it, which just happens to be the right height for putting in front of my amp speaker. It sounds better than I expected, and doesn't need batteries or have any kind of control except the on/off switch.

The Shure SM57 is not a good mic for recordinig it is a great mic for live use.

For recording I would recomend sennheiser (a little more expensive tho) positioned close to the speaker and a "normal" studio vocal mic (condenser) positioned at 2-3 meters.

I have recorded some giutars with some Wharfedale mics (dont kick me in the nuts) and they gave decent results... great results if you consider they were a $40 3-pack (less than $14 each, including case!)

Not sure what radio shack has in their shack these days,but when I was young and had little money I tried a couple of the radio shack mics and they were not very good.You'd probably be better off getting a lower priced mic from musicians friend.I was buying few things from Musicians friend couple months back and saw they had a special on a nady.it was like $19 or something.I added 2 to my cart to try them out since they came with cables too and I couldn't even get a cable for that price and needed one .When I got them,I was suprised that they are not bad at all really.There no boutique mic,but they are definately ok ,especially for the $

Archived