Gibson Brands Forums

Monetary Gain

harmonicchaos

Hey guys, I'm 15 now so I was thinking about getting job somewhere. (There's a very nice 1970's Ampeg V4 in a local used guitar store that is calling me...)

Just wondering what some of you all did for first jobs and maybe hear some stories. I'm thinking about applying for a job at Subway or something. Btw I looked into it and you have to be 18 to apply for a job at Guitar Center supposedly (I could've sworn that some of the kids there are under 18). That kinda shocked me so I thought I'd share. It was there website though so it could vary by store.

Let the nostalgia begin...

I detassled corn for 2 years.

I then washed dishes for a year.

In the summer before my first year of college I worked construction in San Antonio, TX and worked my uncles restaurant.

College/work/college/work/college/work/college/work 4 time college drop out. IU, Purdue, Univ. Central Florida, IU kokomo. Ivy Tech. bla, bla, bla.

Now. Journeyman United Auto Worker

I went from mowing lawns to delivering newspapers (that job paid for my first guitar an old melody maker) then to working in a grocery store, I started in the grocery store, seperating bottles (they used to be made of glass and had a refund value), I move up to grocery bagger, then stocker, then union butcher, then store manager. The grocery store paid for my first Les Paul and my first 3 years of College.

I had a paper route in the 5th-8th grade. In high school I irrigated orchards, bagged groceries and worked retail in a variety store. By the time I was 14 I was earning an occasional buck or two playing out with various garage bands at local dances, clubs and parties.

I worked on farms from about 12 to 16 years old. Then I started working at a grocery store. I still worked on farms in my spare time.

Lots of slinging heavy hay bales around, cutting tobacco, milking cows, rubber banding sheep and bulls. That's a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Okay, maybe I'd like to see some Democrats doing that to animals instead of American citizens. ](*,)

I worked on farms from about 12 to 16 years old. Then I started working at a grocery store. I still worked on farms in my spare time.

Lots of slinging heavy hay bales around' date=' cutting tobacco, milking cows, rubber banding sheep and bulls. That's a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Okay, maybe I'd like to see some Democrats doing that to animals instead of American citizens. default_eusa_wall.gif

LOL James, give it up man. You can't be mean even when you try. I give you 9.5 for effort and 3.3 on execution.

Who here thinks James really wants to see Democrats doing animals? A show of hands.

I hate to see young men jump into food service.

I did construction work most of my life, usually sub-contracting labor. It's a skill that will stay with you, is good for you physically, respectable, pays decent to very well depending on YOU, and is ALWAYS needed. Storms, (ice storms, hurricanes, tornados, normal storms) new projects, repairs, ect.

If you can learn to be a handy man, you can make a helluva lot more money running a phone line for an old lady, fixing a porch, ect., than any sandwich artist. Try to find a dependable, honest handyman..... You can work it into being a Construction Giant.

My 2 cents.

Murph.

i am 16 currently and work with my dad when he's is close enough. we set tile and do construction type stuff. during the summer i work at a camp washing dishes, being a lifegaurd and hopefully playing music this year.

it's hard to get a job when your young these day, especially with the bad economy. i think this summer i am going to start saving for a car that way i will easily be able to get a job during the school year too. and after next year i will be out of school! yes x]

might head down to tennese and try working for gibson. that would be awesome to get paid to build the guitars i love.

I'm 16 and NO ONE is hiring around here, especially not kids my age because everyone's too worried about keeping their own jobs. I work part time for my dad, he owns a recording studio and does corporate video work as well as filming dance recitals, plays, first Communions, etc but I work at least once or twice a month so I can't call it a steady income. I might have a chance though, my dad dropped one of his guitars off at the local shop and mentioned to one of the owners that I would love to work there. He said "Well I don't really have any openings for someone to sweep the floor, but have him build me a guitar and I'll hire him". Not sure if he was joking, but I'd love to humor him and see if I actually get hired :-({|=

Your best bet is to find a cash paying gig. Mowing, raking leaves, gutter cleaning, window washing. That sort of thing.

The window gig is pretty lucrative. People pay good money, and there is very little overhead. A couple of buckets, some detergent, a washer mop, a squeegee, and a few rags.

I did it for about six months in SoCal, and averaged about $200 a day. It's not a job for someone who's lazy though. You have to know how to get the job done and get on to the next one quickly. If you can work quickly, and have a good way with people, you're set.

My first job was hamburger cook at an amusement park. Got me a Peave studio pro 40 I think it was

than Arby's - than building decks -

Stage hand / Roadie - fraight hot shot driver - these were good for me cuz I was touring allot with my band and a 9-5 wouldn't work well.

Warehouse laborer to manufacturing to manager to Disabled.

My first job was a gig but I can't remember anything about it. Later on I got a job as a cook for extra money on top of gigging (I can still crack open an egg with one hand). I guess we were lucky in the sense that we always had steady gigs which helped pay for our equipment. But I didn't get my first real Les Paul until many years later...

Hot dogs, ice cream festivals, dish washing and construction.

But it was all volunteer stuff, never made me money out of it. But it was a hell lot of fun. A hell lot of work.

And it always make me think that I could have "simple" job and live in a more simple way. Stop caring about money, money and more money.

Archived