Gibson Brands Forums

Talk some sense into me, boys...

Tim Plains

Having bad thoughts again...

Thinking about selling my Silverburst to start a fund a historic Custom.

Keeping it is a possibility but chances are I wouldn't play it.

The Silverburst is what started the addiction for me and it's also the guitar I used to propose marriage...even still, the evil thoughts are there.

So, talk me out of it. Not looking for people telling me to do it.

Having bad thoughts again...

Thinking about selling my Silverburst to start a fund a historic Custom.

Keeping it is a possibility but chances are I wouldn't play it.

The Silverburst is what started the addiction for me and it's also the guitar I used to propose marriage...even still' date=' the evil thoughts are there.

So, talk me out of it. Not looking for people telling me to do it.[/quote']

Have you a pic of this Silver burst. Perhaps we could look at a trade for a 1st Run LE Robot.

The old Framus acoustic I courted Gramma with back in the day is a total tone dog but there's nothing in this world that would make me part with it. Certainly, compared to your 'burst, it's of no real monetary value anyway, but that's not the point. The point is it was and is an integral part of that memory, of when we met and got to know each other. Of the time I almost burned my house down getting that first kiss from her after serenading her all night. No sir, you shouldn't get rid of something like that. Why, it's almost like...like baby shoes! Mama'd likely never forgive you.

+1 for axe' date=' silverburst is the ugliest color they make, on the other hand it has sentimental value so the choice is yours dude[/quote']

Only 6 posts and I already agree with you.

Really I just wanted to get a shot in because Tim said bad things about my Robot.

Tim, if I were in your shoes, I would keep the Silverburst Custom. Down the road, you may really regret selling it for a variety of reasons. Yes, I know guitars are just "tools," but that Silverburst has some cool memories tied up in it. FOR ME, that is reason enough to keep it.

I want so bad to tell you to just sell it - Don't like the silver. However, I have a partial solution to your problem.

Since this is the guitar you used to propose to your spouse, I think you should remind her about that and then give it to her as an anniversary present - too bad it's not 25th anniversary (the silver year gift - perhaps Homz could give us an etiquite lesson on anniversary year gifts/colors etc...).

In a sense you get to keep the guitar by giving it to her and then you can start your savings and even encourage her to give $$ as her anniversary present to you.

Tim, you could just buy some beano, as it relieves gas. Keep what you have and save for another historic later on down the road. Who knows, in 2-3 months, the gas might pass, or the economy might tank some more and the prices may come down. Or the economy might tank some more and you'll be looking more for a way to buy food and electricity to power your amp and PC.

My .02

NEVER sell a Gibson!!!!

I quite agree. But seriously, IMHO I would keep the silverburst and save and wait a little longer for the Historic Custom. I don't know if you play professionally or not, Are Nine, and if you did then the guitar can be viewed more as a working tool and I can understand wanting to upgrade. As a hobbyist, amatuer, or whatever term you like, I see my guitars as something different. I see them as something to play, something to enrich my leisure time, and even as something which I can appreciate almost as a work of art, in the case of a Gibson anyway. You do get attached to them, hence my agreement with flight959's post.

In your case there is also the sentimantality of its attachment to your proposal to your fiance, a tangible connection to such a momentous event in your life, which, if it was me, I couldn't part with it. But in the end it's your choice to make, and all the best with the decision you make. We are just fellow forum members whose opinions you may or may not take into consideration, either way is cool. Just appreciate the offer to discuss.

By the way, which Historic Custom do you have your eye on?

Anyway Tim,

You stopped me from making a big mistake when I almost gave up the Slash! =P~

Sell your a** on the street corner if you have too! (Its big enough) =P~ =P~

I think you should listen to the members, and keep the Silverburst!! O:)

Flight959

Archived