Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Amps in Hot Cars

darling67

Ok, so I’ve got a question about tube amps.

Is it ok to leave them in a “warm” car for several hours, or does the same that applies to guitars apply to tube amps: “Don’t do it!!!”?

I’m asking because my band rehearses (and plays gigs) after work hours, obviously… and I really have no desire to lug my amp from the parking lot and up to the 4th floor of my office—along with my guitar and pedalboard (and my daily backpack!).

I don’t like the idea of leaving an amp in a warm car… ok, “HOT” car… for more than 10-15 minutes. But if there’s no risk of harm in subjecting it to such abuse, then I’ll feel better about it.

Thanks.

It won’t really damage any of the electronic components but It could affect something like the adhesive that sticks the tolex to the cab

My amps have all experienced uncomfortably high temperatures without any issues so it shouldn’t be a big deal. I’m more worried about the vibration and jolts from the road and thieves

Well. Last week (I guess it was really week before last), I had a gig on Thursday and Friday nights. Both were outdoor gigs with temps in the 90s and high humidity. I really didn't want to heave my 85 lb Carvin Legacy more than I had to, so I left it in the car.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or a result of me leaving it in the hot car, but Friday night I definitely had issues with the amp. The foot pedal wouldn't switch channels and the volume kept drifting up and down. I left it in the car again until Saturday morning, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it since I brought it inside.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I hate leaving anything in my car when it's hot out.... except my kids (oh, they've managed just fine!). [scared] Kidding! [laugh] I don't have kids. But if I did.......

Alright well.... I'll think about what you've all said, and use my better judgement. At least it's not like 119° out here like it was a week ago!

If it's a Marshall, it could explode into a heap of parts at any moment, hot or cold, so....

In fact, if it's a Marshall, the best thing to do is put it on your hood, drive up to the edge of a cliff and stop short. [biggrin]

Just kidding, sort of... [crying]

If it's a Marshall, it could explode into a heap of parts at any moment, hot or cold, so....

In fact, if it's a Marshall, the best thing to do is put it on your hood, drive up to the edge of a cliff and stop short. [biggrin]

Just kidding, sort of... [crying]

LOL! It's a Fender... so, my car's hatch back is safe. [biggrin]

Much ado about nothing, IMO. I leave my gear in the car all the time. I've left guitars and amps in the car for a week between gigs, and I live in Florida! The Telecasters were still in a week later of course. [biggrin]

Besides, you think your amps and guitars shipped in air conditioned trucks. :rolleyes:

JC !

good to see you.

yep. my amps have sat in hot cars. and 10 years back the band was playing every Fri & Sat. all the gear stayed in the band trailer year long. this went on for 6 or 7 years. 0 degree winters, 100 degrees summers.

My only expertise is my experience, so I'm glad I waited for others. JC works on this stuff himself, so I'd take his view as factual.

For me, I don't care how long any of this stuff sits anywhere. The two nights I spent in jail my guitars and amps didn't care that they sat in my 68 Falcon during the horrendous winter of 1978, and they performed for almost a decade after that just fine. These things are made to be used, taken out of the house and exposed to the rigors of life. They are just fine.

Lived one hundred yards from the ocean in Bermuda for three years and all of my guitars and amps, acoustic and electric, did just fine. Lived 3 blocks from the ocean in Ocean City NJ for 6 years and all of my guitars and amps, acoustic and electric, did just fine.

Your guitars and amps don't much care about the temperature and humidity, and within reason your expensive acoustics(mine at least), don't care either. Luther would lecture me long time on anything like that, and he hasn't and doesn't. He's left his in my car too!

rct

Your guitars and amps don't much care about the temperature and humidity, and within reason your expensive acoustics(mine at least), don't care either.

Two related tales:

#1 A friend left an acoustic guitar in his hot car without a case.... sun coming right in the hatchback on the body. The bridge came unglued... boing!

#2 I had a real bad auto accident recently. Car totaled. Les Paul totally unplayable until I raised the action. Telecaster... Still in tune! [biggrin]

Two related tales:

#1 A friend left an acoustic guitar in his hot car without a case.... sun coming right in the hatchback on the body. The bridge came unglued... boing!

#2 I had a real bad auto accident recently. Car totaled. Les Paul totally unplayable until I raised the action. Telecaster... Still in tune! [biggrin]

[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

I have heard the tales of bridges coming up after sitting in a hot car, I can see that happening. I also hear way more tales of bridges coming up that have never sat in a hot car.

rct

Two related tales:

Sorry to hear that! My car just got totaled two weeks ago too

Mine too. Lucky to walk away. Glad you are okay too (or I certainly hope you are)

No injuries here. Just inconvinient because I’m moving next week and now I have to buy a new car too.

My car is actually still drivable, but it really sucks because the driver door barely opens and the mirror broke off so I’m like crawling in and out of this pile of junk in the meantime

Doesn't anyone worry about theft leaving them in the car? Id be more worried about that. msp_flapper.gifIt being a temptation for some thief.

My amp, if and when it's in the back of my hatchback, is in a fairly safe spot (the parking lot at work)—not to mention, only someone with x-ray vision would be able to see it back there.

So, temps are really my only concern.

Lived one hundred yards from the ocean in Bermuda for three years and all of my guitars and amps, acoustic and electric, did just fine.

rct

I was in Bermuda last year for the first time. I loved it, and will go back first chance I get.

Archived