Gibson Brands Forums

I got a real life question from my young son...

Homz

My 9yr. old asked me (about an hour ago) if I believe in god?

I changed the subject quickly and gave my self time to consider a proper response.

My response: I believe ones position on a god is something personal and should be based on logic and not emotion. Furthermore, I would never tell you to believe in or not believe in such personal things.

Son: So then why don't you let us go to church.

Me: As was the case with your older sister. When you get old enough to understand the concepts of what's being said then you may go to church with your cousins if you wish.

Son: But my sister doesn't go.

Me. That's because she has decided she didn't want to. Not because I stopped her. She was free to go from the time she was 12, and she was aware of that. (she's now 15)

Son: So do you believe in god.

Me: What do you think?

Son: I don't care.

Me: You are wise. Very wise.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wise of you to give yourself time to think. Here is some food for thought; Some churches have a children's program that allow them to learn on their level.

If there is a God, perhaps this is His way of working in your son's life? I have known children who can understand on a limited basis christianity at a young age.

But you're the dad and get to make the call on his going or not.

You just can't resist pokin' the bear can ya? This could be more explosive than the political discussions ...

Unless you're an athiest, either way you look at it (creation vs evolution) is a belief system. Can't really prove definitively the existence of either, but can have a very strong feeling one way or the other.

Me, I believe in a supreme being. I'm an avide follower of science, but I think those guys are guessing half the time and making stuff up the other half of the time. Evolutionaryily speaking that is.

Your kid can't make his mind up about what he's not exposed to, not in an intelligent way. Children that age are not mature enough or savvy to decide tottaly for themselves and need guidence (not pushing).

My opion only, your milage may very.

wise of you to give yourself time to think. Here is some food for thought; Some churches have a children's program that allow them to learn on their level.

If there is a God' date=' perhaps this is His way of working in your son's life? I have known children who can understand on a limited basis christianity at a young age.

But you're the dad and get to make the call on his going or not.[/quote']

Please don't take this as a slam on your beliefs, but my kids would probably be Buddhist if anything. They would have been so if they had been in their native country.

BTW the point is not weather a particular belief has a children's program. It goes to the heart of the point as to a basic belief in god. I am simply saying (for my family) a certain level of cognizance is necessary to understand fully something that will or could be a major part of their life for evermore.

This is not necessarily the right way or the wrong way it's simply 'The Way' in my family.

Homz, You can't prove or disprove the existance of God. God is not science...Faith is what believers have...Faith in a higher power than yourself...Faith isn't weakness, Faith in God doesn't mean a lack of education or knowledge or logic. Some of the most learned and knowledgable people that have ever lived had faith in God. Your a smart guy, you should take your kids to church sometime and just listen...you might not change your mind, but you might hear something that stirs your mind or soul.

You just can't resist pokin' the bear can ya? This could be more explosive than the political discussions ...

Unless you're an athiest' date=' either way you look at it (creation vs evolution) is a belief system. Can't really prove definitively the existence of either, but can have a very strong feeling one way or the other.

Me, I believe in a supreme being. I'm an avide follower of science, but I think those guys are guessing half the time and making stuff up the other half of the time. Evolutionaryily speaking that is.

Your kid can't make his mind up about what he's not exposed to, not in an intelligent way. Children that age are not mature enough or savvy to decide tottaly for themselves nad need guidence (not pushing).

My opion only, your milage may very.

[/quote']

My guidance, as it seems you missed, is that they should understand what they are being told. Read the post. I have never told my kids what to believe on such issues. Only that they can go to church when they are old enough to understand it.

I; honestly, don't care what they're final position on this matter is. I only hope they use they're heads and make a decision that works for them. As I have done.

BTW.. I am an apathetic/ Agnostic. I only tell people atheist when I want to get them spun up. In fact I feel atheist is an affirmation and thus, illogical.

Homz' date=' You can't prove or disprove the existance of God. God is not science...Faith is what believers have...Faith in a higher power than yourself...Faith isn't weakness, Faith in God doesn't mean a lack of education or knowledge or logic. Some of the most learned and knowledgable people that have ever lived had faith in God. Your a smart guy, you should take your kids to church sometime and just listen...you might not change your mind, but you might hear something that stirs your mind or soul.[/quote']

Damn, can someone please cut me some slack. I thought it was an interesting little point in my day. Did I say it's a weakness? Did I say you shouldn't believe how ever you wish? You who feel it necessary to defend something that wasn't being attacked should really read my posts.

You should encourage your son to develop a relationship with the God of the universe who loved you so much that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life. Your son's eternal salvation is at stake. You should encourage him to find out and let him go to church with others his own age.

I'm sorry but not making a decision is essentially making a decision against. Your either in the Kingdom or your not. I'll pray for you. But I'm sad. Your son is intelligent and is seeking God.

Snapshot2009-02-2316-51-54.jpg

Easy there big fella! I was just talkin to you...I don't feel a need to defend my beliefs or attack yours. We all have free will...we all get to believe whatever we want...as it should be. Right?

LOL, You called me big fella. Being 6'5" if I had a dime......

You should encourage your son to develop a relationship with the God of the universe who loved you so much that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life. Your son's eternal salvation is at stake. You should encourage him to find out and let him go to church with others his own age.

I'm sorry but not making a decision is essentially making a decision against. Your either in the Kingdom or your not. I'll pray for you. But I'm sad. Your son is intelligent and is seeking God.

=D>

Anyone got an Ice pick? I'm going to self lobotomize.

Your son is adopted, right?

How fitting. Like your son, those of us who profess to be Christians, are likewise adopted into the family of God through that belief in Jesus Christ. The Bible is filled with examples of this concept. You should look into it Homez.

It's a beautiful concept, being, through faith in Jesus Christ, adopted into the kingdom of God.

You're a bright and articulate man, Homez. Would you like some verses to have you son look at? You should build on that idea of God's love for us that he adopted us as sons and thus, are now heirs.

Your son is adopted' date=' right?

How fitting. Like your son, those of us who profess to be Christians, are likewise adopted into the family of God through that belief in Jesus Christ. The Bible is filled with examples of this concept. You should look into it Homez.

It's a beautiful concept, being, through faith in Jesus Christ, adopted into the kingdom of God.

You're a bright and articulate man, Homez. Would you like some verses to have you son look at? You should build on that idea of God's love for us that he adopted us as sons and thus, are now heirs.[/quote']

Will someone please explain to Califonyman how insulting he is being at this moment?

Interesting to me is how when I am really insulted, I am quite amiable.

Wow.

You did good.......

Murph.

Son: So then why don't you let us go to church.

What are you trying to protect him from?

I find it ironic that you've ambitiously protested the slight censorship you've experienced on this forum, yet you forbid your son from going to church.

Just s little snap shot of my life. I found it interesting. I didn't ask for advice, but had I done so I would have hoped for something like this.

Homz allowing your kids to make an informed decision is a wise thing to do. Religion, like all things of consequence is not something to take lightly. I hope your choices and those of your kids will lead to a better life for them and for the community at large.

What are you trying to protect him from?

I find it ironic that you've ambitiously protested the slight censorship you've experienced on this forum' date=' yet you forbid your son from going to church.[/quote']

Censorship is for parents and fascist. I had it in my signature line for a while.

Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.

All religions have been made by men.

A man cannot become an atheist merely by wishing it.

You're confusing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ with man-made doctrines and man-centered traditions.

Either you believe Jesus Christ is the son of God or you don't.

Just s little snap shot of my life. I found it interesting. I didn't ask for advice' date=' but had I done so I would have hoped for something like this.

Homz allowing your kids to make an informed decision is a wise thing to do. Religion, like all things of consequence is not something to take lightly. I hope your choices and those of your kids will lead to a better life for them and for the community at large.

[/quote']

In that case, thank you for your attempt of entertainment.

You're confusing a personal relationship with Jesus Christ with man-made doctrines and man-centered traditions.

Either you believe Jesus Christ is the son of God or you don't.

At the very least you can acknowledge the fact that he was a philosophical mastermind. His understanding of humanity was in all probability greater than anyone today, so if you're looking to completely exclude emotion from your life and the decisions you make, you might as well trust in the decisions he's made.

It’s human nature to jump to conclusions and base things off what we see and hear. We can be easily influenced by things and I think you and your son have made the wise decision to not be easily influenced and use the right of freewill. Although I don’t have any kid of my own, if I were in your position I would allow him (your son) to go to church and see if he understands and takes a liking to what is being taught and if he believes in it. If he does, great, or if he says it’s not for him, that’s fine also. Personally I think religion teaches values and if you ignore the credibility of some of the story and see the values in them they could have an impact on your son, for better or for worse. Going to a Christian school I am spoon fed Christian beliefs. I believe almost none of the stories and my morals values and beliefs practically uninfluenced by religion. If anything the Christian school has pushed me farther away from religion and am in no way here to preach about Christianity

What I am trying to say is, take it for what its worth. Whether you or your son choose to believe or not to believe is a totally personal decision that you should make by your self, uninfluenced, based on your person feelings and understanding.

Why conform to one religion? If that is what you want to do that is fine but I think as long as you take want from each religion, it’s values, morals, beliefs, and end up with something you believe in or something (a set of values ect.) you want to live by you are golden. That is the ultimate purpose.

sory if i seem to give advice. i have no right to and you didn't ask for it.

Homz...

There is nothing wrong here, buddy.

The boy is gonna make up his mind when he is able to. And is not like one day he will wake up and choose X or Y, but it's throughout the course of his life that his experiences and exchanges should lead him to one way or another. You'll be just one person who is gonna influence the boy - though a important person without a doubt.

I don't know if I'm making myself clear and definitely there is no right answer when it comes to raising children (no, there isn't) but it might prove better to be straight to the boy accordingly to the situation - kinda like how you did in this case.

I don;t need to tell you this, but just do what you think you have to do in order to raise a good, honest and decend man. Regardless of god or religion.

Archived