Gibson Brands Forums

CAR SHOWS

Californiaman

Went to a car show this morning with one of my boys.

There must have been 50 great cars at this show. Everything from Model As to 1970s muscle.

My kid loves the old sleds. With the one exception of an Austin Healey with a V-8 in it, his favorites were the Oldsmobiles, Buicks, and Chevys from the late 40s and 50s.

I was there for the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s.

Here's a couple photos of some of our favorite cars and trucks.

PjxjGxpl.jpg

MaUIjyQl.jpg

zt25MIzl.jpg

bhay1Mfl.jpg

dJEyrM4l.jpg

3Fq1ey2l.jpg

RXX01tIl.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that's a pretty good representation of the hot rods and sleds we saw today.

I kind of regret not taking more pictures. There was a baddasz Volkswagen bus there all decked out for picnicking and trips to the beach. Probably cost you 60-75K these days.

Of the two Oldsmobile 442s I saw, my son and I decided the blue convertible was by far the best. $39K was just too much for it though.

Hope you enjoyed the car show.

Thanks for posting the pix. Call it nostalgia, or whatever, but I really admire the guys who keep these old cars in pristine condition. PS - i was born in '46 so you'll get my perspective.

Yeah Dennis, the Milennials have no use for this stuff.

You have to be a Baby Boomer to appreciate the car culture we grew up with. I was born in '63.

I remember all the times Dad took us to OCIR for the races. Think we even went to Lyons and Pomona for some too.

Our local car club hosts this show every summer. I look forward to it.

very cool post! great pics, too. i went to the drags in cecil county recently, to watch the pro mods tear up the track. while there, i did see alot of cool stuff, but 2 stood out as most interesting to me. one was the 50's highboy below. it was scary fast, i think he was turnin low 9's iirc. the other was in the parking area. some guy took a honda shadow, and turned it into an alligator.

haYqvUR.jpg

fUqs4Uq.jpg

"Wives Don't Like Old Girlfriends. And Girlfriends don't like Old Wives"

The same could be said of cars.

These cars bring back memories of how we felt when life was simpler, friendlier: Happy Days meets Wonder Years meets Norman Rockwell.

I still miss my first car (a '59 Chrysler Imperial w/ 383 cu. in. Automatic Transmission selector buttons on the left side of the dash. )

Don't miss my first girlfriend though.

I guess I'm not 'IMMATURE' after all !!!

I was born in 84' but am as far from a typical millenial as you can get. Cars like this is what I wish were still offered by the big three. I'd trade most of my guitars for a late 60's camaro in that condition! Well... maybe not most of them but one or two! Haha.

One things for sure, they just don't make'em like that anymore. Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like y'all had a good time.

Great pictures! My son and I go to all the local car shows. When we lived in Chicago, we went to the Volo Car Museum about once a month. It's really quite a nice place and it looks like it has grown a lot since we were there. They have something for everyone. Here is their web site in case you want to take a look: https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/exhibits?filter=cars Thanks again for the pictures and I'm glad you and your son enjoyed the show.

Big thirsty Americana is quite rare on UK roads....although various auto shows have a loyal following

Cruisers, Harleys etc have a staunch fan club and frequent meets and ride-outs....

I have recently come to appreciate the longevity and practicality of the Ford 'F' trucks.....really enjoying the latest incarnation....[thumbup]

Our wonderful 'Wheeler Dealers' tv programme has gone stateside in the last year or so

It's a bloke thing

I read 'Hot Rod Magazine' as a child.....[thumbup]

Also read 'Mad Magazine'...…:blink:

V

:-({|=

Great pictures! My son and I go to all the local car shows. When we lived in Chicago, we went to the Volo Car Museum about once a month. It's really quite a nice place and it looks like it has grown a lot since we were there. They have something for everyone. Here is their web site in case you want to take a look: https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/exhibits?filter=cars Thanks again for the pictures and I'm glad you and your son enjoyed the show.

another great post! the deusenbergs and packards...OH-MY-GOD if ever there was a car of my lottery dreams....i would dress like the monopoly guy and drive everywhere!

have that site bookmarked, thank you!!!

another great post! the deusenbergs and packards...OH-MY-GOD if ever there was a car of my lottery dreams....i would dress like the monopoly guy and drive everywhere!

Which is where (and when) the term "It's a Doozy!" came from.

The local newscast last night indicated that the show had over 250 cars entered in the event.

For those of you over sees, car shows are a big thing in America. During the summer they really are popular.

For you guys in Great Britain, here's what Americans do with your sporty little cars.

5OdJNxg.png

I'm glad you like the site. Those cars are amazing and they are my favorites too. The gigantic, green, straight-eight in the Duesenbergs is something to see. They are just gorgeous cars and there is nothing else like them, IMO. I didn't know this but the first Duesenberg home office was in Des Moines, Iowa. I always thought the cars were made in Germany and imported. I remember a 1932 (I think) Cord convertible that I wanted to buy so badly but my wife wouldn't let me. It's good though because I'd probably still be paying for it.

When I was going there, the museum was way smaller and there was no admission fee. But, I suppose the fee helped pay for their huge expansion so it's ok with me! There's lots of classic cars for sale on the site so have fun!

Yeah Dennis, the Milennials have no use for this stuff.

You have to be a Baby Boomer to appreciate the car culture we grew up with. I was born in '63.

I remember all the times Dad took us to OCIR for the races. Think we even went to Lyons and Pomona for some too.

Our local car club hosts this show every summer. I look forward to it.

I was born in 53, Wish I could have gone to Lions Drag strip but at least got to go to Pomona. Lots of the pros were there and got to talk to a few. I was in my teens then. That inspired me to get into Drag racing in my 20's or the 70's. Last car I had was a 71 Dodge Colt, all chevy power and I ran it in Pro Gas. Those were the days. Those are some beautiful cars. I entered my Colt in 2 auto shows and won 1st place. Thanks for the photo's.

I'm right there with you, being born in '52. The only car I had that I went all out on was a '66 442. Here's what I did to it: swapped out the engine to a Olds 455 (torque monster!), changed pistons to raise compression, heads ported and polished with larger valves installed, racing cam, dual point/dual coil distributor, dual Quadrajets, long tube headers with cherry bomb mufflers, racing clutch, 4.11 rear end, ladder bars welded from the axle to the frame to stop wheel hop and probably things that I am forgetting. With all that work, the best run that I had at Oswego Drag Strip was 12.3/119 and that was with slicks. I think the car could have done a little better but it was hard to tune right. It's crazy to me when I think that you can buy cars today that would smoke my 442 right out of the showroom!

I'm right there with you, being born in '52. Oswego Drag Strip

Semi hijack. Years ago I was transferred to Oswego, NY during the WRONG six months (Oct to April). Never saw so much snow in my life and I grew up in Binghamton, NY.

Now back to our regular scheduled drooling over "old" cars...

Semi hijack. Years ago I was transferred to Oswego, NY during the WRONG six months (Oct to April). Never saw so much snow in my life and I grew up in Binghamton, NY.

Now back to our regular scheduled drooling over "old" cars...

No problem Dennis. The Oswego Drag Strip was located near Chicago though.

The local newscast last night indicated that the show had over 250 cars entered in the event.

For those of you over sees, car shows are a big thing in America. During the summer they really are popular.

For you guys in Great Britain, here's what Americans do with your sporty little cars.

5OdJNxg.png

LOL... so true!

That's a crazy XKE jdgm. Thanks for the picture. My best friend got a brand new XKE (yellow with black convertible) for his 16th birthday. Both of his parents were doctors so they could swing it. On his 17th birthday, he got a brand new corvette because his Jag didn't start well in the Chicago winters. Poor kid, huh? LOL

5OdJNxg.png

I believe that would be known as 'shoe-horning' and 'ratting'...…:blink:

The Morris Minor is a much loved classic from 1948 to 1972 designed under the watchful eye of Alec Issigonis….who went on to design the ground breaking Mini....

One of the popular restoration projects today is the 'woody' Morris Minor Traveller.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Archived