Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson QC

olie

Long and McQuade carries seconds and should be clearly marked on the price tag as a second.

At least the stores in Calgary do. So maybe this guitar was a second and not mark correctly

on the price tag.

That being said I've looked over some of the Gibson marked down as a second and couldn't find

anything wrong with them.

I don't know about the L&Q policy of selling seconds but I do know this. Gibson Montana has never shipped a SECOND to any dealer anywhere on the planet. It's always been Montana's policy that if something is not up to standard it is brought up to standard or taken apart for parts. It costs more for Gibson to make a bad guitar than a good one.

Now as to Five Star Dealers. Gibson does not cull the inventory for good guitars to send to Five Star Dealers. They never have. All guitars are inspected as they come thru production. When they pass inspection they go into their respective cases and then their serial numbers are entered into inventory. Then the computer randomly matches up an order with a serial number and the guitar is shipped. This procedure is the same for every guitar and every dealer. International guitar orders are treated the same as all other orders. No one gets preferential treatment. NO ONE...

I have been on this forum for a few years now and from time to time see this very same post come up. I don't know why it involves Gibson or J-45's or L&Q.

It seems that Canadian shoppers find the discrepancy in the price of their guitars to be intolerable. Even though we are next-door neighbors we are different countries and rules of Governments do apply. Gibson must respect all international borders and they do. This can lead to some unfair looking practices. Calgary although it's closer to Bozeman than it is to Toronto is still in a different country and all the laws must be applied so.... Gibson ships from Montana to Yorkville's headquarters and then the guitar is shipped to Calgary. It sounds goofy and it is but the law is the law. Even the warranty is different. Most don't understand this but it is what the Canadian government and the U.S. government have decided.

So.. No Seconds to anyone for any reason. Ever.

No preferential treatment for 5-Star dealers. Ever

If a dealer inspects a Gibson Montana Guitar and doesn't like it he can call Customer Service get a Return Authorization Number(RA#) and send the guitar back for immediate replacement. It's just that simple. Gibson pays the shipping both ways. If a guitar doesn't meet the standard of the customer it has passed the Gibson inspector the store inspection and it should be brought to the attention of the store. The store will be obliged to reinspect the guitar and the problems should be addressed. The guitar should be sent back immediately and a new one shipped to replace it. This is standard procedure. There is no benefit for a store to have a sub-standard guitar when they can have a great quality guitar to sell.

maybe the way the guitars are shipped and re shipped and then cased (made in canada) and then hung on big walls with rh swinging away has played into the action and sound issues Ive seen...

Thanks for the background info, Hogeye.This started out innocently enough(for my part) asking whether anyone out there in the ether had run into bad QC, as I had in the instance mentioned.I take it on good faith that Gibson pays attention to what leaves it's shops and,since there has been so much made (on other forums,primarily)about shoddy finishes to Gibsons, I was seeking other opinions and experiences.Since initiating this thread I have seen a lot of positive feedback, even on AGF, stating that the anti-Gibson misconceptions were related to the questionable decisions made during the Norlin era.My wish is that the new regime at Gibson does all it can to keep the name in a positive public perception the way Bozeman seems to have done especially from the time Ren took over.

It seems that the vast majority of people on this site are united in wishing the new management good luck and good decision making in this challenging time.

Long&McQuade was only one of the stores in the Vancouver area I was looking at Gibson's. For a Christmas present my wife said go get the Gibson you keep going on about. I always wanted a J45 but could not find one that to me was built any better than my Masterbilt. For the money they want for them and the QC I saw I thought it was kind of sad. I will say though I did look at couple Humming Birds that were very nice but it was not just a L&M thing Mik B)

Archived