Gibson Brands Forums

Sunday Song: Maneater

Buc McMaster

There are three things that guide my search for new tunes these days: I like the song, it has a challenging melody and it's unexpected. The commercial release of this one was quite involved......long instrumental measures, a sultry saxophone, horn-stab-style guitar chords........obviously this is not what can be accomplished with a single guitar and voice. So the arrangement is shortened and simplified in an attempt to make it a song that will work well enough for a short open mic set. And I don't think it's the kind of song one would expect to hear at such a function........audience surprise is a good thing. Just started learning this one yesterday and it's got a ways to go yet but it might make this evenings' open mic set list.

Without further ado, Hall & Oates Maneater, which won a Grammy for Best Performance by a Duo in 1982.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmN7__7kug

J-35; DR Sunbeam 12s half step down; Kat Eyz capo at 6; Blue Chip TPR50; recorded on iPad with Zoom IQ7 mic; no audio processing added. Oh, and a tip that works very well for me when singing: chew bubble gum!

Bold choice.

Indeed. A good melody is hard to find........ha!

The J-35 sounds pretty good here, choked up to the 6th fret even.......clear and strong. Disappointed to learn that the open mic was cancelled today. Reckon that will give me more time to get this one really nailed down solid for next Sunday. Meanwhile, the J-35 is taking a break and doing a little sunbathing this afternoon...... Already starting to get a bit of a tan.

48cKhaI.jpg

Never underestimate the element of surprise. For example, the ability of the humble uke to de-escalate a big bad rock song likely has a good bit to do with it's recent resurgence. If you've ever heard the original of Kids by MGMT, this cover by the Ooks of Hazzard would be a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgpsXURZFo4.

It's fun listening to a cover of a song approached from a different direction. Hearing the Hall & Oates cover on an acoustic really makes it's minor mode stand out.

Buc... two surprises I have heard acoustically that have blow me away... thunder road on a uke, and Stevie wonder’s highest ground.

Surprise is good! Of course, you never let down with your skill... but Maneater not my bag. Request? Hall and Oates l’m Sorry.... great tune

J-35; DR Sunbeam 12s half step down; Kat Eyz capo at 6; Blue Chip TPR50; recorded on iPad with Zoom IQ7 mic; no audio processing added. Oh, and a tip that works very well for me when singing: chew bubble gum!

Buc (good job... of course!), but are you serious about chewing bubble gum? rgds - billroy

.....are you serious about chewing bubble gum?

Yes sir. While it might not be for everyone, I find that gum keeps my mouth and throat moist and keeps my jaw relaxed........it really makes a difference for me. Try it. Might not be for you but it might surprise you.

Thanks to all for listening!

Yes sir. While it might not be for everyone, I find that gum keeps my mouth and throat moist and keeps my jaw relaxed........it really makes a difference for me. Try it. Might not be for you but it might surprise you.

Thanks to all for listening!

I never gig without my little box of vocalzone tablets

Gum would be a second choice if I couldn’t get my hands on the sweets

But I keep a little stock of them

Ever since then heard that Tom Jones wouldn’t be able to go onstage without the same sweets I tried them and they’re a godsend

Sweating , nerves and singing will dry your mouth and throat out

I find them a necessity

Archived