Gibson Brands Forums

Put D'Addario 80/20's on my Advanced Jumbo

sbpark

So far I'm really liking them. I've never "warmed up" to 80/20's on any of the other guitars I've tried them on (J45's, D-28, HD-28 and D-35), but they seem to work really well on the AJ. About a day after I put them on they calmed down and lost the zing. I've always thought 80/20's sounded "duller" than PB's, and maybe they do, but they just seem to work really well for the AJ. Don't get me wrong, PB's sound great on the AJ as well, but the 80/20's seem to mellow and even it out just enough without killing it's punch. It's a tad more reserved with the 80/20's, which in my opinion is a good thing, because strumming an AJ with PB's can be a bit much at times. Even flatpicking fiddle tunes the 80/20s sound great on the AJ, but with the flip side of also having a slightly warmer, smoother tone that works better when singing with the AJ (I've found PB's can just be a bit too forward and bright and overpowering when trying to sing with the AJ).

Obviously this is just all my opinion, but if you have an AJ and want to calm it down/tame it just that little bit, maybe try a set of 80/20s. I currently have D'Addario 13's on mine.

I will say this, and many already know this, but I'm sure many (myself included) don't adhere to it...when you try a new type of string, bet it a different alloy, gauge, manufacturer, etc., than you're normally used to GIVE TE NEW STRINGS TIME TO SETTLE! Also, give your ears a chance to acclimate and reset themselves so to speak. You're used to the way PB's sound, and yes, 80/20's are going to sound a lot different, but your brain is trained/used to that one sound and you're going to probably be resistant to change. My advice is string up the guitar, play it, and even if you don't like the strings sleep on it and revisit the guitar in the morning with fresh ears. You may be pleasantly surprised, and then give it a few more days. If you still cant stand them, then so be it. But that next morning, and over the next few days I picked up on things I wasn't hearing when I first put then on. I've been using D'Addario PB's for like 20 years family consistently, and when I've put 80/20

s on other guitars I just removed them as fast as I installed them. Give it some time!

I’ve found D’addario 80/20 EXP 13s work brilliantly on my AJ and J180, tremendous strings and road tough. I easily get four long, sweaty gigs out of a set easily, no breaks or tonal dropoff to speak of. I just change them when the G string starts to get dimpled from hitting the frets. Love ‘em!

Archived