Gibson Brands Forums

Cold weather shipping. What do I do?

Carbonite

Hey guys, just purchased a guitar online. Its my first and I will be taking lessons asap after its here.

I was just thinking about how cold it is outside and how that will affect the wood.

Is there anything special I should do when it gets here? Like does it need to be room temperature before I try tuning or playing it? Or anything else for that matter.

We are talking below freezing most of the time here.

I thought I heard someone say once that I shouldn't open the case, but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

A lot of overkill and scare tactics over nothing. The only real danger is whisking a cold guitar into a warm room. And with the modern nitro finishes containing plasticizers, even then, there's not much of a danger. Think about it, if it was problem, how would anyone ship guitars in the winter?

I'm from Michigan. So its not like its Antarctica or anything' date=' but it gets cold.

So other than letting it adjust to room temperature I am fine?

Man, it will suck to stare at a case for a few hours without being able to look inside. lol[/quote']

Cabronite, congratulations on the new guitar!

Don't worry too much. When the guitar arrives place it on the floor and leave it be for an hour or so (you really only need to do this for about 20 minutes, but I'm a little extra careful so I go an hour). After an hour, unlatch the top to the case and open it maybe an inch...leave it that way for another 20 minutes. By this point you will be ready to rock w/out any worry.

This issue is a big concern to some people. Its not a real big issue. Some of the guys here have tried sudden changes in temp in order to get there guitar finish to check and find it really hard. It does state on the outside of the Gibson box about big changes in temp but unless your going from the North Pole to the blazing desert then I wouldnt worry too much about it. An issue I have noticed from Cold to warm is the build up of condensation on the pickup covers and hardware which I suppose over time me create an issue!

Good luck

Flight959

when i got my Gibson acoustic the other day, I took it out of the box and let it sit in the case for around 4 hours, then I unlatched the case let it sit for a few min and opened it up. I came from Kansas and was shipped to VA no problems after doing that. Just let the guitar acclimate to your room before opening the case. Let us know how it went.

Archived