Gibson Brands Forums

Worst Gig, Part 2

QuestionMark

I would have confronted him and made him quit. Period.

Redneck.

25 years ago I sold a 3 piece rock band to a strip club. Yep.

We played Classic/Southern Rock (and originals) while the show went on. It went off very well, the crowd dug it and we had plans to do it again but the drummers wife thought it was a really bad idea. I mean, for some reason she was relentless in her opposition. To the point that he folded.

ha! Gee I can't imagine why Murph!!

We played at a club south of Worcester Mass that ran rock bands every Friday and Saturday nights. However, on Wednesday and Thursday's it was in fact a strip club.

Even tho no strippers worked the nights the bands played, not one of our wives were too keen on the idea of their boys being let loose in a strip club, strippers not being there dind't seem to make a bit of difference to any of them. Sheesh! So we took it off the list...

Oddly enough, about 2 months after our first gig there, the club folded. Turns out the club owners were in deep with the IRS, and it finally caught up with them.

Post mortem...

So I am hired to go back to that same farmers market/street fair tomorrow . One of the conditions I gave was that if the juggler is there again (invited or not) to make sure he is NOT next to me. No jellybean requests or only red M&M conditions made by me. Only that no juggler be next to me. I took the high road and skipped the circus explanation, hey this is my art, and stuck only to stress and say I simply can not have flying balls hitting my instruments when I perform distracting me and potentially damaging my instruments. Potential money liability talks, ya know. I was promised my condition would be met, tomorrow.

I am glad I stood up for this in advance and that the markiet’s hiring manager saw my perspective. No probs (or juggler next to me) are anticipated.

QM aka JazzmM Jeff

Never had a juggler, but....

Once at a songwriters-in-the-round show, the woman seated next to me finished her song and I began introducing my next song. The woman who had just finished (kind of a well-known flake locally in the Twin Cities) announced that she would accompany my song with an "interpretive dance." And she did. To a quiet fingerstyle song about a down-on-his-luck guy who cooks meth in rural East Central Illinois. (The dance sucked and got some laughs for an unfunny song, but she accomplished her task, which was to keep all eyes on HER....)

I don't think I've ever been so pissed at a gig.

At one show, I was actually heckled by a drunk sitting in the front row. Fortunately, I had polished my guitar before the gig (which I rarely do) and discovered that if I held the guitar a certain way, it reflected one of the bright stage lights right into the guy's eyes. So I did. He soon left.

Fortunately, I had polished my guitar before the gig (which I rarely do) and discovered that if I held the guitar a certain way, it reflected one of the bright stage lights right into the guy's eyes. So I did. He soon left.

Yes! That was an awesome slice of justice!

Archived