Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Cases

bshoe54

I was at a local shop looking at a Hummningbird Modern Classic today and the dealer had it in a Gibson case that was not as nice as the cases that I have gotten with all of my Gibsons. My Dove, J-150, and J-45 all came with an archtop case with blue lining, double neck supports at the accesory box, four latches, and Gibson logo silk screened in white on the case top.

The case this dealer was including with the Hummingbird had a flat top with no white logo, dark grey-black lining, three latches, and only a single neck support at the accessory box. It did have a plated Gibson nameplate on the side at the neck end, similar to the cases that come with some Martins, so I know it was a Gibson case. It just was obviously not as high quality as the cases I have received with my other guitars.

Does anyone know if Gibson has started shipping a different case recently with teh Hummingbirds? The guitar had a 2008 serial number so it was fairly recent vintage. I was thinking about maybe buying the guitar but I want to call the dealer out on the cheap case if he is doing some kind of funny business by substituting a cheaper Gibson case for the OEM case fo some unkown reason.

Hey bshoe54,

Not sure how much help I'm gonna be here, but my J-45MC is a 2008'er, and she came with the archtop/blue lining... definitely sounds like it's worth investigating - maybe you could visit another local retailer and see what they're offering just in case (gettit -in case?! I'll get my coat)....

Thanks for the advice. I e-mailed Gibson and they confirmed that the case I described was a promotional case and is not the correct case that should have been shipped with a Hummingbird.

I liked the guitar and it had good tone but I am going to hold out for another one down the road because I don't want to patronize with the unscroupulous dealer.

Archived