Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Store Heroes

NighthawkChris

I don't know what it is about places like GC or even larger local guitar stores that have inventory comparable to a GC store, you always run into that guy - the guitar store hero... rock on!

The latest one I saw you practically thought there was a tip jar somewhere around this guy. He was singing like no other and all that playing some expensive guitar. He was pretty good and all that - not knocking that - but he was obviously showboating and stuff like that and wanted the place's attention. I just find that majorly annoying for some reason. I mean, do you really have to sing in GC to find out if "that" guitar is good enough to buy? And the return policy is outstanding at GC - 45 days (not trying to be advocate for GC in any way with this statement). It is just annoying to be in the same space as that guy when I may be wanting to try out a guitar in the room where this A-wad has made a mini-studio out of... I mean, I get it that this is allowed and such, but come on - do you really want to be THAT guy and do this for like half-hour at least? He didn't even have the right idea to actually purchase the guitar too. Of course, he actually didn't buy a single thing that day - I watched him when he thankfully finished his forcefully imposed performance and have an autograph session afterwards. Whatever on this... Just wanted to point out guys that I think are DB's and should know they are. I don't expect anyone at the guitar store to intervene in any way, but it wold be cool if someone just busted out with a "You suck!" and get his arse out of my seat so I could take a few minutes in the "custom shop" room to evaluate something I had serious intentions of purchasing.

All I know is this guy was annoying to me... I have encountered "maestros" that are obviously very smug, but this guy takes the cake for me. I seriously thought this was a candid camera type thing going on here to see how people react - it was that noticeable in the place.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did four guitar shows last year.. Imagine a whole hall of people doing that all at once on guitars, basses, keyboards and all manner of instruments.. It redefines the word din...

At one of the shows they sensibly had what they called quite times.. So every few hours playing through any sort of amp or speaker was banned for 30 mins.. What a blessing that was...

But it was a guitar show so I cant exactly complain about it :)

I usually tell people they need to get out more often. You seem to need to stay home more, or maybe guitar playing isn't right for you. Not sure.

rct

I gave you a + for that one. [smile]

People playing amplified guitars in shops should be restricted to headphones.

I'm not going to spend north of a $1,000 on an amp and only test it out through headphones.

Get outta here.

i think there is such a thing as being reasonable. i also think the staff should step in on someone who is doing that. i get it, if you plan to buy someting expensive you want to test it out. but imo if you're a serious buyer, you don't need a half an hour at loud volumes to make that decision. a serious buyer has dome a fair amount of research before he even got to the store.

"Just take a read and not hard to figure out why this message is created."

Read it twice. Have no idea why you are acting this way.

Dude, you have to expect other members to have different opinions than yours.

And I saw nowhere that anyone was rude to you.

Did you think only those who agree with you would post?

Is this your first time posting on an internet forum?

Are you 17 years old? :-k[confused]

People playing amplified guitars in shops should be restricted to headphones.

I like how they do it at Chicago Music Exchange. There are isolated rooms where you can crank up and amp without disturbing others. I spent hours in there and loved it

@brad1

If you received comments like this, how would you feel each time you are "disagreed with"... This isn't the first time, and I just didn't want to take this guy's bait - but alas I failed this time... There 's disagreeing and there's being a jerk. Put yourself in my shoes... How would you take this comment if you received this for differing with your stance on whatever... And the regulars here I have always respected and each thread I set up, I feel like I get targeted and I don't appreciate it. I don't do this to anyone or come here to cause dissension. It's just a thing where I believe what's fair is fair, and this isn't fair to start bullying and make snidely, condescending remarks whenever you decide to contribute respectfully. Not picking a beef with you on this, but when I'm going to stand up for what I say and have no regrets what I post.

To add to what @Hall had to contribute to the conversation - hence the popularity contest like I'm being put in my place for expressing my opinion... I was expecting some shared experiences as I know we all have ran into "that" guy... Guess I get more than what I bargained for...

People who are 17 years old mentally have to propagate this "popularity contest" garbage - such as gang mentality stuff as Mr. @Hall had to contribute. Really positive stuff there huh? Just totally soured my thoughts of what transpires here when I am up against this type of crap. I am not the only disrespected member here - not saying that - but I know I haven't sown any disrespect towards any member period.

Hey nighthawkChris. - I apologize. Guess I wasn't thinking at all abut your feelings when I did that. No excuse for my being thoughtless and rude. I hope you will forgive me for that one. I messed up at your expense and I am sorry. - Steve (Hall)

@brad1

If you received comments like this, how would you feel each time you are "disagreed with"... This isn't the first time, and I just didn't want to take this guy's bait - but alas I failed this time... There 's disagreeing and there's being a jerk. Put yourself in my shoes... How would you take this comment if you received this for differing with your stance on whatever... And the regulars here I have always respected and each thread I set up, I feel like I get targeted and I don't appreciate it. I don't do this to anyone or come here to cause dissension. It's just a thing where I believe what's fair is fair, and this isn't fair to start bullying and make snidely, condescending remarks whenever you decide to contribute respectfully. Not picking a beef with you on this, but when I'm going to stand up for what I say and have no regrets what I post.

To add to what @Hall had to contribute to the conversation - hence the popularity contest like I'm being put in my place for expressing my opinion... I was expecting some shared experiences as I know we all have ran into "that" guy... Guess I get more than what I bargained for...

People who are 17 years old mentally have to propagate this "popularity contest" garbage - such as gang mentality stuff as Mr. @Hall had to contribute. Really positive stuff there huh? Just totally soured my thoughts of what transpires here when I am up against this type of crap. I am not the only disrespected member here - not saying that - but I know I haven't sown any disrespect towards any member period.

Im not sure how you got all that from RCTs comment....

But I have to say... Imagine you were that guitar player you spoke of today and he happens to read the Gibson forum... How do you think he would feel? I don't think RCTs comment was any worse than your report on a stranger whos story you don't know just because it happen to annoy you.... That's not particularly nice is it? But not the worst thing I have heard, you are entitled to your opinion of things as we all are.

No one has said we don't want you around and indeed I value your input on here but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it. Especially when it comes to RCT.. He can be some what grumpy and blunt... The best thing to do when you get a comment like that if you don't like it is ignore it.

If what RCT said, hurt your feelings....you need to stay out of internet forums.

Not trying to hurt your feelings here, seriously, but if that kind of mild disagreement made you upset (and yes, I do think it was mild), then I think you're being a little over-sensitive in my opinion.

And I agreed with what your op stated, and stated so. But you have to be able to not let such things bother you. And you need time to get to know how some of the members are. If you have been around for a while, then you should know that RCT is a nice guy around here. I think most would agree with that statement. One of the reasons I happen to like him is because he states what he thinks. He doesn't beat around the bush or talk in PC code. I, for one, really like that. And I would not like to see him stop.

So, pull up those big boy pants and get over it.

Or not. Do what you will.

And RCT.....you do what you will as well. [thumbup]

Complainer guy writes complaining complaints about guitars players and bands in a guitar place and can't figure out why everyone isn't all over him like their best ex.

Complainer guy complains that cover bands suck and are not nearly as good as his high quality originals band, The Complainers, but the cover bands are working while complainer guy is clearly above being in a cover band. So I'm guessing complainer guy never stops and chats with any of the lousy cover bands he sees, offering "hey you guys are great what a great sound" on his way out the door, even if he hates them.

Complainer guy complains that guitar players don't know theory and while complainer guy is "classically trained" there are many guitar players out there that are nowhere near complainer guys lofty status. Complainer guy should try gabbing and chatting with those guitar players and then complainer guy would know that most guitar players know far more theory than they are aware they know, they just don't have the language for it so they didn't know they knew it.

Complainer guy complains about all those dbag guitar players in Guitar Center, playing guitars and stuff, much to the surprise of complainer guy because it is, after all, Guitar Center. But none of those guys are as good as complainer guy, clearly. The Complainers need to sell more records so complainer guy can rent the place out for himself once a month so he doesn't have to mingle with the theory-less cover band riff raff.

So now Nighthawk Chris, you been trolled. The single sentence I put up there was my observations about a particular type of guitar player, just like you have yours. If that offended you or hurt your feelings, I apologize. If I was complaining about these guitar player things in a place full of guitar players, 50% or more of whom are in cover bands, 50% or more of whom don't have formal theory training, and probably 95% of whom have gotten a little vigorous in Guitar Center at least once I'd fully expect one of these jokers to take me to task for it.

rct

NOTE: Not applied to everyone who commented here... Just take a read and not hard to figure out why this message is created.

I never disrespect anyone here no matter what crap people think they can keyboard text me back about my content.

Well Chris, in being completely transparent here, writing threads that cast a very negative view on things like Cover Bands, may very likely not be taken all the well by many of the guys here who play in, and have for years, been part of cover bands. There are ways to post an opinion about things, but often times, the words chosen maybe don't quite equate with the emotions behind them, or maybe they do..

very similar sort of fall out on your Theory post.

Some people, as Ron said, have way more knowledge than they can put in to "technical" terms. And just because one knows the lingo, doesn't make them a superior musician. THAT is the stuff you have to show people, not talk about it.

So you may not think you pissed on any ones shoes, but,, maybe that's not how it actually worked out, Maybe think about this for a bit.

Just some observations, I take all the stuff on these boards with less than a grain of salt.

The Complainer Guy post certainly approached mid 90's usenet hilarity, but it was over the top a tad.

I apologize Nighthawk Chris. I do get what you were saying, but it's tired brutha. It's just tired. Guitar players and people in bands in general need all the support they can get, whether they know theory or cover Bad Company or show off in the GC or not, everyone needs it.

I hope your band finds some regular gigs with an appreciative audience that makes you guys feel good. I hope you write something well that sticks with you, and you arrange it to a T, and you guys pull it off every weekend and make people smile or dance or whatever it is you want them to do. I did all that, long time ago, I know where you are and possibly where you are going. Have at it and have fun with it.

I hope you get a quiet afternoon at the GC to buy something, I know I've spent my share in there this last couple months and it can get pretty scritchy pretty fast, especially those rainy days.

I also hope that if you know a guitar player or three and they aren't formally trained as you and I are, you take three minutes to move past I IV V and mention a IImin or something, and maybe point out relative minors so they can understand why this solo sounds good and so does this one in this key, and for that matter, what the hellz a key is.

If it is any help to you, we are out Friday and Saturday this weekend. It's a blast, just the two of us and a drum machine, we have relied on each other for a long time and now it is both sad and great that that is all we have to rely on anymore. We are looking forward to it, and I hope you guys get out this weekend too.

Don't go away mad, just come on here and frig me off like anyone else I ever ticked off and we'll be just fine. We have far more in common than you would think at first glance, all of us, I just think you are the one who doesn't know that. Yet.

rct

I thought RCT's original comment was aimed at the narcissist at GC. Boy, this took a bad turn.

I never known RCT to draw first blood, however his counter attacks are nasty.

This is a misunderstanding and lets move on as friends.

I thought RCT's original comment was aimed at the narcissist at GC. Boy, this took a bad turn.

I never known RCT to draw first blood, however his counter attacks are nasty.

This is a misunderstanding and lets move on as friends.

Rct is truly a formidable foe.

Archived