Gibson Brands Forums

Dating A Custom Shop Reissue

Just picked up a '57 Les Paul Junior VOS Reissue and trying to determine what year it was made.

I have the COA but that is not dated. SN is 7 7596.

2007? 2017?

Not sure how to tell.

Any help would be appreciated.post-824-042768100 1532653690_thumb.jpg

From Gibson.com

Gibson Custom

1952-1960 Les Paul, Explorer, Flying V, and Futura reissues (since late 1992):

M YRRR or MYRRRR

M is the model year being reissued<

Y is the production year

RRR indicates the guitar's place production for that year.

NOTE: This number includes all models for a particular reissue year - so, for example, a 1958 Reissue serial number may include '58 Reissue LP Standard and '58 Explorer production.

Example: 7 5123 is the 123rd 1957 reissue model produced in 2005.

Your SN 7 7596 should be 1957 reissue model produced in 2007

Edited by Dave F

...SN is 7 7596. 2007? 2017? Not sure how to tell.

As you probably know by now Gibson Les Paul reissue serial numbers repeat every ten years.

The easiest way to check (assuming all is original) would be to use the code(s) stamped on the volume and tone potentiometers. All USA-made pots are coded with the manufacturer, the year made and the week in which the pot was made. Let's take an example. A pot with code 1370733 would break down as follows;

137 is the code for CTS (Chicago Telephone Supply); 07 denotes 2007; 33 is the week of the year when the pot was made.

Here's where to input the data;

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/potcodereader.aspx

Failing this the only way to find out would be to check any possible constructional differences between 2007 and 2017.

Pip.

• 3 years later...

I  have a wonderful Gibson Custom Shop 60' Les Paul. It definitely had the factory "aged" treatment,  VOS finish, and may be "Historic" but the  The COA does not say so. The bound booklet COA reads:

LP GC 60

GO 70034

Can anyone advise me what the GO means and if the production year is probably 2017? 

John

• 2 months later...

Could the GC stand for Guitar Center? I know that Gibson do special runs for stores like Guitar Center. 

On 12/8/2021 at 6:12 PM, John Guide said:

I  have a wonderful Gibson Custom Shop 60' Les Paul. It definitely had the factory "aged" treatment,  VOS finish, and may be "Historic" but the  The COA does not say so. The bound booklet COA reads:

LP GC 60

GO 70034

Can anyone advise me what the GO means and if the production year is probably 2017? 

John

• 4 months later...