Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a job

brad1

I could tell you a true story Brad, Some teachers do get all the luck! The guy I worked with at BN, had a daughter who was a school teacher and she hated it with passion. Much like your story, she was in the same boat. When she was very little, Steve would come home and teach her all about the Railroad. All the parts of the cars and trucks, measurements and such. He would take her to the open house days once a year. She learned all this stuff and loved trains. One day she was at the UP headquarters shopping as they had a gift shop in there. She got on the elevator to go up for something and the CEO of the UP also happened to get on that elevator with a bunch of guys for a meeting up stairs. He asked them on that elevator a question which none could answer. Jennifer happened to know the answer and just spouted it out. Surprised, a strange girl knew it, he asked her a couple more questions and she knew both answers. Well, He offered her a job at the headquarters so she quit teaching, a dream come true and has since then moved up the ladder many times. Her husband invented something for the train crews that they bought and both have jobs there. Both own expensive cars now and a very expensive house worth well over $500,000. Both doing great and very young so...You never know what lies ahead in your future. msp_thumbup.gif Good luck!

I don't pray as a rule but in your case I'll happily make an exception.

As others here have said many times already anyone who devotes their lives to the teaching of others is special and those who are also able to teach SEN children should be greatly cherished.

The very best of good fortune in the job-hunt. You WILL get something deserving of your talents.

Pip.

I could tell you a true story Brad, Some teachers do get all the luck! The guy I worked with at BN, had a daughter who was a school teacher and she hated it with passion. Much like your story, she was in the same boat. When she was very little, Steve would come home and teach her all about the Railroad. All the parts of the cars and trucks, measurements and such. He would take her to the open house days once a year. She learned all this stuff and loved trains. One day she was at the UP headquarters shopping as they had a gift shop in there. She got on the elevator to go up for something and the CEO of the UP also happened to get on that elevator with a bunch of guys for a meeting up stairs. He asked them on that elevator a question which none could answer. Jennifer happened to know the answer and just spouted it out. Surprised, a strange girl knew it, he asked her a couple more questions and she knew both answers. Well, He offered her a job at the headquarters so she quit teaching, a dream come true and has since then moved up the ladder many times. Her husband invented something for the train crews that they bought and both have jobs there. Both own expensive cars now and a very expensive house worth well over $500,000. Both doing great and very young so...You never know what lies ahead in your future. msp_thumbup.gif Good luck!

That is .... inspiring. The way we like to believe things should work. Thanks!

I do wish you the best of luck Brad, you'll be fine. Worse that could happen is you would have to sell a Gibby to make a car payment. msp_tongue.gif

For myself, I cannot wait to retire! Man I'm done "playing the game". As we are well aware, we have to keep that professional appearance as you sit and listen to your boss as he tries to convince you to go along with him some dumb *** idea he has to get a bull to produce milk for human consumption. You are forced to sit there and listen to him as your thinking "This guys is a complete moron, how in the hell did he become my boss?". Or the coworker that you have to rely on to do his part, just sits on his *** drinking coffee complaining about how others that do not contribute to the team as a whole. There are thousands of scenarios I can go through, however, to pay the mortgage, I "play the game".

The wife and I are well prepared to retire at 65, however, I'm going to wait until I'm 66 and leave the game behind me. I'm going to spend that last year telling my boss and coworkers what I really think. "Look Boss, I know that you have really put a lot of thought behind your plan for the bulls, but that has to be the DUMBEST idea I have ever heard." When my lazy coworker decide to get on their soapbox accusing of being lazing, I'm going to demand part of his paycheck for all the work I did in which he got paid!

tumblr_lfrfrraaTI1qbfbpko1_500.jpg

I see myself as semi retired B) ... Havent had a proper job for like 7/8 years now....

Even if I have to get a job at some point (if indeed I even can), it will only be a part time one...

I see myself as semi retired B) ... Havent had a proper job for like 7/8 years now....

Even if I have to get a job at some point (if indeed I even can), it will only be a part time one...

Well you can honestly state you're not "playing the game", but instead, "playing the guitar". msp_w00t.gif

Well you can honestly state you're not "playing the game", but instead, "playing the guitar". msp_w00t.gif

Ha yeah... I am truly lucky... I did that rat race thing for like 18 years and I love the fact I don't have to do that commute in to central London and deal with all the things that come with that. Let alone no longer having to take orders from idiots... YAY :)

Sadly though I probably build more than I play at the moment and for the last few months have not done much of either.. Just a lot of crap going on in my life right now to deal with.

I hope to retire at about 55 and then do volunteer work as and when I wish. Thing is, the risk of long life means that probably will require $2.5 to $3 mill not including the home for a comfortable, financial stress free (but not talking yachts and flashy cars) retirement...and you still need the markets to behave 'normally'. That's the 'beauty' of employment I guess - cashflow guaranteed. Just hit 10 years in my current job and hopefully another 6 or so to go if the powers that be can keep the sh!tshow afloat that long.

I expect the kids of today will work well into their 70s, but probably live to 100....of course when the pension age of 65 was enacted into law here the average life expectancy was something like 58, so it was never extended to be for decades of retirement - somethings gotta give - start saving kids! (Oh that's right, you gotta keep buying cr@p to keep up with what social media 'celebrities' tell ya to do)

I hope to retire at about 55 and then do volunteer work as and when I wish. Thing is, the risk of long life means that probably will require $2.5 to $3 mill not including the home for a comfortable, financial stress free (but not talking yachts and flashy cars) retirement...and you still need the markets to behave 'normally'. That's the 'beauty' of employment I guess - cashflow guaranteed. Just hit 10 years in my current job and hopefully another 6 or so to go if the powers that be can keep the sh!tshow afloat that long.

I expect the kids of today will work well into their 70s, but probably live to 100....of course when the pension age of 65 was enacted into law here the average life expectancy was something like 58, so it was never extended to be for decades of retirement - somethings gotta give - start saving kids! (Oh that's right, you gotta keep buying cr@p to keep up with what social media 'celebrities' tell ya to do)

I believe they bumped the age to 67. Social security, full payout is 70. Thank god for pensions.(non-union)

yeah, same here in Oz Bill (though in reality unemployed people just go on the dole before that and then move to pension at 67...and we have free healthcare for life so that's no issue) - thing is that the age pension for a couple living in their own home is probably about $32k (indexed) so if they are on it from 65 to 85 that's like $700k in todays money out of the tax take per couple...and we have an aging population to be covered by less taxpayers. So it doesn't add up, and retirement will only be an option for a certain percentage of the population in future and will need to be largely self funded (though by law employers need to put c10% into everyone's retirement fund each pay and you cant get at it til you are 60, so that helps). My teenage kids already seem to be aware that working life will be quite different for them.

For myself, I cannot wait to retire. The wife and I are well prepared to retire at 65, however, I'm going to wait until I'm 66 and leave the game behind me. I'm going to spend that last year telling my boss and coworkers what I really think.

tumblr_lfrfrraaTI1qbfbpko1_500.jpg

Too funny. My last year at the Railroad, Different Managers asked me questions about my comparison of the Union Pacific Railroad and the Burlington Northern. I thought a moment and wondered if they really wanted to know my answer? So, I told them there is a big difference. The Union Pacific upgraded experienced Carmen with over 20 years service or more who wanted to be foreman or General foreman. They went through it all and knew what they were doing and knew how to run a program. The Burlington however, hired their foreman right out of the military with no experience at all in the Railroad business and most of them couldn't tell you the A end from the B end of a car. Their all idiots. Funny thing too. That manager never asked me another question. msp_flapper.gif The shop assistant supervisor asked me the same thing about 3 months after I hired on. I told him that Havelock shops was so much larger then the Omaha shops ever was. That Havelock has the capability of producing 10 times more cars out the door then the Omaha shops could ever get out. However, Then I said Havelock doesn't have any foreman smart enough to ever get that job done. Never asked me another question and I wasn't really being a smart a$$ either. I was being totally honest.

Archived