Gibson Brands Forums

Hello from Wales

Corsair1

Hello,

My name is Chris and I'm from Wales, UK. I've been playing guitar (badly) for around 35 years and love guitars, amps and classic cars. I think it's fair to say that my enthusiasm for guitars far exceeds my ability to play [smile]

Over the decades I've owned dozens of guitars. My first Gibson was a '72 SG which I bought around 1986. It was the first guitar I owned that had a low action and slim neck. It played like a dream. It had been resprayed black and looked quite good except the Gibson inlay had become a bit smudged with the paint.

About 18 months later I part ex'd the SG for a '76 Explorer. I remember the first time I plugged it in at home after buying it. The tone was similar to the SG but it seemed to have more sustain. As the years went by, I began to realise that there weren't many Explorers around. Some time in the '90s, I think, Gibson launched the 76 reissue Explorer. Some time later, I realised that 1976 was the first year Gibson relaunched the Explorers. I read somewhere though that a few were made in the early '70s for promotional purposes.

Many years have passed and I still have the Explorer. My thoughts are now turning to getting an SG again. I've seen a couple of stunning looking Custom Shop '61 reissue Les Paul/SGs in white for sale on the web recently. They both seem to have serial numbers that don't match the year claimed in the ads though. I've posted some questions in the Instrument ID and information section but realised I should have introduced myself first here. I apologise for my faux pas and hope this makes amends.

There seems to be a lot of useful and interesting information available on this site. The tips on improving playing should be of use to me. I hope to be taking part in these forums more in the future.

All the very best,

Chris

Welcome aboard. msp_thumbup.gif You cant be that bad with all those years playing. Lots of practice over and over again is the key. I often ask my wife, Aren't you sick of me playing songs over and over again? I might go through 5 or 6 a night. Heavens No she tells me. msp_flapper.gif

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've just tried using the guitar dater project to check the serial numbers but neither were recognised. It doesn't seem to cover the Custom Shop guitars sadly.

I've had a reply to my post on the Instrument ID and information section though. This confirms that the serial numbers from both guitars don't match the year claimed in the ads.

Thanks again,

Chris

are you a plane enthusiast also ? asking because of Corsair .

The Corsair was a car my Dad owned when I was young, one which I was very fond of. Coincidentally, as part of the Wales Air Show a few weeks ago some vintage planes took to the sky. One of which, so I was told, was a Corsair. I do like old planes but don't know enough about them to call myself an enthusiast. I'd love to go for a flight in a Spitfire but think it might be on the ruinous side of expensive. I've driven a Triumph Spitfire and been a passenger in a Ford Corsair many times. I've yet to go for a blast in a Mustang. Must put that to rights at some point!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The Corsair was a car my Dad owned when I was young, one which I was very fond of. Coincidentally, as part of the Wales Air Show a few weeks ago some vintage planes took to the sky. One of which, so I was told, was a Corsair. I do like old planes but don't know enough about them to call myself an enthusiast. I'd love to go for a flight in a Spitfire but think it might be on the ruinous side of expensive. I've driven a Triumph Spitfire and been a passenger in a Ford Corsair many times. I've yet to go for a blast in a Mustang. Must put that to rights at some point!

Chris

My sister had a 66 fast back pony. She had problems with the engine dying every time she put it in gear. We were going somewhere so I jumped in the passenger seat when It dyed 3 times. 4th time she started it up and revved it so high, I thought she would blow the engine. It was an automatic on the floor, While the revs were so high she slammed it in gear. Problem was, Reverse was before Drive. msp_flapper.gif Yep! It stuck in reverse and the car raced backwards slamming into my 49 Dodge Coupe. Actually I bought the car for the 392 Hemi in it as I drag raced back then. Totaled out her Mustang while it resymbled an accordion.rolleyes.gif I got out to check the damage on my Coupe and all she did was polish the dirt off my front bumper. It looked better.msp_flapper.gifmsp_flapper.gif Ha ha.

Archived