Gibson Brands Forums

The LG-3 -

E-minor7

Not much of a small-body type, but here is latest from N.R.Guitars. A Flat-Top-Friday test of the LG-3.

The film is a good little lecture in the differences between the 4 and offers the over-vue some people out there may need to get down - me including me.

1958 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i15ohEKfmLs

Guess X is preferred over ladder. I would take #2, but will stay by the 45.

'Nough said - all for now.

Enjoy your weekends

Re the Epi models he mentions, there was no third style I'm aware of. Just the FT-45/FT-45n Cortez, and FT-30 Caballero.

On the Gibson side, there also was the B-15 (with a Melody Maker style headstock), from the late '60s.

Related honorable mentions in this size & shape: Gibson CF-100/CF-100E; Kalamazoo KG-10 (late '60s LG-0 clone); Gibson & Epi Folksinger-style & 12-string models.

Not much of a small-body type, but here is latest from N.R.Guitars. A Flat-Top-Friday test of the LG-3.

The film is a good little lecture in the differences between the 4 and offers the over-vue some people out there may need to get down - me including me.

1958 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i15ohEKfmLs

Guess X is preferred over ladder. I would take #2, but will stay by the 45.

'Nough said - all for now.

Enjoy your weekends

A 1960 or 61 LG-3 with an ADJ bridge was my favorite guitar as a teen. It was my brother’s and I had a Kay flattop and he had no idea how much I played it un-beknownst to him back then. When he moved out of my parents house, I acquired a 1965 Epi FT30 Caballero (Epi’s version of the LG-O) and then later I started acquiring a whole lot more guitars (one being a 1965 LG-1 that took about 20 years to open up, but finally did and is now a great guitar having aged and it’s top loosening up.). I still have both.

Having bought a number of more guitars, I also acquired my 2006 CS J-45 Reissue with an ADJ bridge that really reminds me of and plays like that LG-3 ADJ, except it’s louder and bigger...satisfying my missing that original LG-3 that I liked so much as a youngun. Great to see the LG-3 in the video.

Plus, I gotta say my imported Epi EL-00 (X braced, solid Sitka too w/ mahogany sides/back, though lam mahog, with its short scale small Gibson 60s sized little guitar neck) fingerpicks and strums and sounds a whole lot like that old LG-3, except for it missing the Gibson heritage and vibe). One of the short comings of all small guitars being they have a smaller sound spectrum than J’s or dreads. My only other comment being I kinda wish the video would have compared am LG-3 of yesteryear to a modern era AE LG-2.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Looks just like my 59!

If they had made it with a 1 3/4” nut for fingerpicking, it could easily be my only guitar. As it is, the fat 50s C neck is superb and makes fingerpicking quite possible but tight.

Someone put a hole in the lower bout for a pickup, so I had a Martin Thinline undersaddle put in. At the time, my luthier said: “This is your best Gibson acoustic”. Instead of standing there with my mouth open, I should have asked him exactly what he meant! Look, built, playability, what?

BluesKing777.

Archived