Gibson Brands Forums

Indiana - Guitar Things?

uncle fester

Hi all, my 10 yr old kid's baseball team made it to the national championships. That's pretty cool, but results in an impromptu 12 day vacation on the SW corner of Indiana... about 1-1/2 hours from Indianapolis - doable drive, about 4 1/2 hours from Chicago - too far.

Is anybody aware of any cool guitar things / shops / museums in the SW Indiana, or Indianapolis areas (12 days is a long time to fill...:)

Rgds - billroy

The Children's Museum is actually really well done. I worked on a project with them many years ago and was impressed as all get out. The whole center of the city centering around the old train station though is pretty cool. One of those places that has tons of shops and sculptures of passengers and rail workers scattered around the old platforms.

You’re probably closer to Louisville. Some nice mom and pop stores there and their downtown district usually has something going on. Plus you have the home of the Louisville Slugger and The Kentucky Derby Churchill Downs.

wait a sec.. I thought you lived in Mass-a-chew-zetts.. .

Sure, am. Born and bred, loud and proud and got my roots solidly in mid western MA. The kid's team is best in state, best in New England, now going to see how they fair against the 11 other best teams in the nation.

...awesome stuff, but really want to figure how to get them interested in guitar. Truthfully, their music does not have it and they don't really appreciate it as an instrument (it's baffling). I'm still working the osmosis / complete immersion approach.

The Children's Museum is actually really well done. I worked on a project with them many years ago and was impressed as all get out. The whole center of the city centering around the old train station though is pretty cool. One of those places that has tons of shops and sculptures of passengers and rail workers scattered around the old platforms.

Children's Museum Nice, we love that stuff, it's on the list!

Indianapolis is a nice city. Lots of things to do there. Many parks and sports arenas (you could catch a minor league game for cheap). There's also a very cool children's museum just outside the city.

minor league games... oooof more baseball [scared]

You’re probably closer to Louisville. Some nice mom and pop stores there and their downtown district usually has something going on. Plus you have the home of the Louisville Slugger and The Kentucky Derby Churchill Downs.

Had not even thought that way, never been to Kentucky - would love to check out the downtown district.

Thanks all!

My brother lives just outside of Boston. Too many rules in that state for an unrepetent hippie like me.

My favorite exhibit at the Children's Museum was this old settler's cabin they had moved in. As you stood in the doorway a light would come on and shine on a piece of furniture and you would hear a recording of somebody reading from a letter or an diary about what you were looking at. When I did the stint with the Museum they put me up in a hotel in the old station. You would walk out of your room right onto the train platform. I am a big train buff so found that outrageously cool.

I did hear some music when I was there which was in walking distance of the hotel but it was a long time ago and I do not recall where the places were.

Also, if your driving I know Sweetwater is in Fort Wayne. While I have not dealt with the big box stores we are only a couple of hours away so figure we will schlep over there one day down the road.

Sure, am. Born and bred, loud and proud and got my roots solidly in mid western MA. The kid's team is best in state, best in New England, now going to see how they fair against the 11 other best teams in the nation.

...awesome stuff, but really want to figure how to get them interested in guitar. Truthfully, their music does not have it and they don't really appreciate it as an instrument (it's baffling). I'm still working the osmosis / complete immersion approach.

you gotta a long ride ahead of you bro!! but sounds like it'll be a fun time.

I'm guessing at your location in Indiana, but it looks like you may be about a 2 hour drive from Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. They've got one of the best airplane museums in the world attached to that base.

It also looks like you are probably pretty close to Cincinnati. I've been there. Go visit Louisville :)

You can google things to do in Cincinnati - the zoo looks pretty good.

Southern Indiana’s gem is Brown County which has a great state park and its own town of Nashville. Lots to do and see there including some good down home music. Nashville is very busy during the summer, as is the state park. Beautiful area of my home state.

Enjoy the scenery and hospitality.

Rb

I live in southern Indiana, don't know how far south and west you are talking, but Bloomington has a couple of nice guitar shops.

Its a collage town.

Sounds like you won't be too far from Evansville? I have not been to Moore's Music in a lot of years, but they use to be a great place:

https://www.mooreguitars.com/

I would agree with going to Louisville, science museum, zoo, Louisville Mega Cavern.

https://louisvillemegacavern.com/

Do a search for guitar shops in Louisville.

Most of the good mom and pop shops are closed on the Indiana side of the river.

I live in southern Indiana, don't know how far south and west you are talking, but Bloomington has a couple of nice guitar shops.

Its a collage town.

Sounds like you won't be too far from Evansville? I have not been to Moore's Music in a lot of years, but they use to be a great place:

https://www.mooreguitars.com/

I would agree with going to Louisville, science museum, zoo, Louisville Mega Cavern.

https://louisvillemegacavern.com/

Do a search for guitar shops in Louisville.

Most of the good mom and pop shops are closed on the Indiana side of the river.

We're spending aday and a night in Bloomington with some old friends, that's very encouraging (and appreciate the lead!). We'll be in Vincenne's Indiana - so Louisville is a little far (2.5 hrs or so)

Southern Indiana’s gem is Brown County which has a great state park and its own town of Nashville. Lots to do and see there including some good down home music. Nashville is very busy during the summer, as is the state park. Beautiful area of my home state.

Enjoy the scenery and hospitality.

Rb

This is a little far from where we'll be (Vincennes) - but does sound nice. Bloomington is one getaway we'll get, if I can negotiate another couple free days, I would definitely want to try and hit Nashville, and Louisville (per other's recommendations)

Thank you all - really appreciate the input!

Archived