Gibson Brands Forums

Grounding issue

The Mick

The bush really needs to be pulled. My 1980 LP doesn't have the ground wire fitted. Around this time, Gibson stopped using one, partly to reduce liabilty in the case of electric shock. A shielding can was fitted inside the control cavity, but most of these guitars have been retro-fitted with a ground wire. For recording, I used to run a wire from the 6th string (between the bridge and stop bar) down into the control cavity to keep it quieter. - Not ideal. By the mid '80s, Gibson went back to fitting the ground wire.

03LPCustomradiographground.jpg

Btw, I also have a JMP 50 MKII - classic crunch !

i dont want to hijack this thread,

but the other guitar player in my band has always had trouble with grounds in any room his stuff is in, one on a homemade guitar (sounds *****in) but he doesnt know where to ground his axe, and i dont know what to tell him, can someone explain how to ground so i can to him

the other is his epi 335 dot faded, it has a bad ground, dont know why it was like this when he bought it, could it be his amp hes got a crate with some special settings (this amp has a mind of its own, soetimes it changes settings on him!)???

i dont really think so

any help?

A strat type guitar can be fitted with a ground by soldering one end of a wire to the trem spring claw, and the other to a pot casing. A Les Paul / SG style guitar can be grounded by running a wire between the stop bar screw and the neck volume pot. You could remove the knob, take off the nut, then solder the wire to a thin washer. Fit the washer, and reassemble. Not exactly pretty, but if you don't want to pull the bush...Alternatively, go from the stop bar screw into the bridge pickup cavity, then solder to a pot casing in the control cavity.

Good idea to plug your amp into a circuit breaker. Use the test function to reveal house wiring faults. If you have doubts about equipment, have it checked out.

Archived