Gibson Brands Forums

Hi Folks, I'm a newbie who's new to Nitro

Ian Hainsworth

Hi folks, I'm new to Gibson and new to the forum, but looking forward to tapping the wealth of knowledge here. I've been noodling around for about 40 years and have worked my way through Ekos, Yammies, Epiphones,and laminate Taylors. I've just recently got my first Gibson acoustic and it has a Nitro finish and I've never had one before. So apart from not spilling beer or coffee on it or spraying it with furniture polish can anyone give me a bit of advice on how to keep it looking as good as it does now. I welcome any hints or tips however obvious they may sound so please treat me like an idiot who knows nothing. Thanks in advance in anticipation of your help and advice.

( Not sure this is the right place to post this but if not apologies )

Welcome to the forum Ian. msp_thumbup.gif I don't believe there are dumb questions, specifically about guitars. First there are so many folks that abound on these forums and the products do vary. Many use different ones and they all work. When I bought my Gold Top Standard, I bought a kit with it. Its a Dunlop system 65 guitar tech kit. It came with a string cleaner, a body and neck polish. I spray a little on a small micro Earnie Ball towel and wipe it down, then polish it with a dry micro towel. You can just wipe the strings down with a rag with a few drops of water on it after you play every time. Its more important to make sure your hands are very clean before you play and any lotions, even soap can do more harm to them. Thats why most folks change strings periodically. Depending how often you play, some change strings twice a week, once a week, once a month or every 3 months. It depends on how much and how long you play When I first started playing, I played about 5 hours per day. I was changing them every week and could have more often then that. I could hear them go bad. A fresh set always sounded better, but the kit does come with a sting cleaner and conditioner. Just wipe it over top of the strings. Many here use different fret board cleaning methods. In the kit comes Dunlop 65 ultimate Lemon Oil which I used once in a while. Its your discretion how much you desire to use. Some here oil the fret board down every 6 months, some once a year and others, Never. There was a thread about it not long ago. Some remove the strings and use the damp rag on the fret board. I haven't used the Lemon oil for years now. Twice a year while I am changing strings, I use a pure Almond oil and put a little on a cloth and rub down the fretboard, then wipe it down with a dry cloth. Ive had my Gold Top for 5 years now. Its a 2007 model that sat around high up out of reach at the guitar store so its 11 years old now and in Mint condition like New. You couldn't tell its ever been played. If you love your guitars then take care of them like they were your kids and they will be fine. rolleyes.gif

Archived