Gibson Brands Forums

An interim SG substitute - any suggestions?

Shaker

I am a hobbyist and play guitar for fun (actually for a lot of frustrations, too). I am scheduled to spend a couple of months in a small town/city in Europe later this year. My main guitars are an SG and a Firebird. In an ideal world, I would be able to buy an airplane ticket for each of my guitars and take them with me. But, in reality, that would not be possible. I would like to know what people out there could suggest for my 1 to 2 month stay away from my regular guitars. Some of the things I have thought of are

* Buy an inexpensive guitar once I get there

* Buy a travel guitar and bring it over

I could always bring something like a pocket POD

Thanks in advance

Buy an Epi G400 over there or, alternatively, try to get a good deal on a used SG. A used one should sell back again when you have finished with it for very little loss due to depreciation (you might even make a profit if you are a good bargain hunter at the time you buy.

Why don't you just buy a soft bag and take one of your guitars with you on the plane? Or get on the plane with your case and ask the staff to put it in one of the cabinets usually used for 1st class passengers tuxedos and things like that? No need to buy a ticket for that.

Well, I understood your problem would be the plane travel, right? Or are you afraid of getting the guitar stolen or lost?

Have you considered a ukulele? They're small enough to fit in your carry-on luggage and they sound sweeeet! Especially if you're into Don Ho's greatest hits or Hawaiian music in general. But seriously, I suggest the Epiphone SG-Special. At a mere $179.00, you really can't find a cheaper SG. For that price, it's practically disposable.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SGSpecial-Electric-Guitar?sku=517239

273807.jpg

Why don't you just buy a soft bag and take one of your guitars with you on the plane? Or get on the plane with your case and ask the staff to put it in one of the cabinets usually used for 1st class passengers tuxedos and things like that? No need to buy a ticket for that.

Well' date=' I understood your problem would be the plane travel, right? Or are you afraid of getting the guitar stolen or lost?[/quote']

I am more concerned with the plane / train travel, dealing with the airline people, having to haul things around, etc. I do not have any experience with traveling with a guitar...

I agee with the Epiphone suggestion. But you'll still have the problem taking the guitar to Europe. What's the use of getting a disposable guitar if it gets disposed before you arrive there? Make sure you follow some safety instructions and you're all set.

Gibson Suggestions - There are many others on the web.

I have never had problems taking my guitar case with me on the plane travelling Continental Airlines. Check their website

Other companies might have a similar policy, you have to check.

I am more concerned with the plane / train travel' date=' dealing with the airline people, having to haul things around, etc. I do not have any experience with traveling with a guitar...[/quote']

Have you considered a ukulele? They're small enough to fit in your carry-on luggage and they sound sweeeet! Especially if you're into Don Ho's greatest hits or Hawaiian music in general. But seriously' date=' I suggest the Epiphone SG-Special. At a mere $179.00, you really can't find a cheaper SG. For that price, it's practically disposable.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SGSpecial-Electric-Guitar?sku=517239

[img']http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp53/neogeoriffic/273807.jpg[/img]

good choice... then when you're done with it you can smash it Kurt Cobain style! it's just an Epi afterall, and that would be a 179 well spent for some smashing good fun ;)

Archived