Gibson Brands Forums

NGD....going to become a project.

NHTom

Picked up this one today...

2010 Gibson LP Standard

IkJ3t7c.jpg

Going to do the full "retro" treatment to it....Will have Creamtone/MGL Tru Vintage parts and hardware added and currently looking like I am going to go with a set of Wagner pickups for it.

5kYiXzp.jpg

I'll get some better pics asap.

NHTom

Picked up this one today...

2010 Gibson LP Standard

IkJ3t7c.jpg

Going to do the full "retro" treatment to it....Will have Creamtone/MGL Tru Vintage parts and hardware added and currently looking like I am going to go with a set of Wagner pickups for it.

5kYiXzp.jpg

I'll get some better pics asap.

NHTom

Hell Yeah. Nice. Never heard of those pups before. Gonna go look at their site right now. What pups you putting in?

Hell Yeah. Nice. Never heard of those pups before. Gonna go look at their site right now. What pups you putting in?

leaning towards the Godwood or perhaps the American Steele set.....

NHTom

• 3 weeks later...

The transition has begun.....lol.

By "project", I'm kind of going to do some mods/upgrades and turn this into the "poor man's version" of my R8.

No illusions of greatness, just love the "vibe" of my R8 but wanted something that would have the same feel, but not the price tag.

Step One...tuners...

I prefer the look of the vintage style, and thought about going with re-issue klusons, but the locking grovers that are on it work really well. Found a place that sells the vintage tulip style single ring buttons that fit on modern grovers.

BEFORE:

Cb1H4Qh.jpg

AFTER:

rgkGdkj.jpg

NHTom

The transition has begun.....lol.

By "project", I'm kind of going to do some mods/upgrades and turn this into the "poor man's version" of my R8.

No illusions of greatness, just love the "vibe" of my R8 but wanted something that would have the same feel, but not the price tag.

Step One...tuners...

I prefer the look of the vintage style, and thought about going with re-issue klusons, but the locking grovers that are on it work really well. Found a place that sells the vintage tulip style single ring buttons that fit on modern grovers.

NHTom

I have been looking for these, Can you share a link?

This is where I got mine...…..

http://www.sporthitech.com/genuine-hipshot-button-set-of-6-a04-single-ring-keystone-also-fits-most-grover/

came with the six buttons and slightly longer screws than stock. Took all of a couple minutes to make the switch.

NOT going to pass for re-issue vintage at all, but gives the "look" on a set of modern tuners for short money.

NHTom

This is where I got mine...…..

http://www.sporthite...ts-most-grover/

came with the six buttons and slightly longer screws than stock. Took all of a couple minutes to make the switch.

NOT going to pass for re-issue vintage at all, but gives the "look" on a set of modern tuners for short money.

NHTom

I love the Grover locking tuners but love the Kluson vibe too. Thanks for the link.

Problem is the Grovers have one screw hole, better to avoid adding another screw hole just for the vibe.

Yeah, my thought too. The gotoh ones would be a great upgrade to add locking to an guitar that all ready had the kluson style, but I wanted the look without holes/bushings/mods, etc.

NHTom

Yeah, my thought too. The gotoh ones would be a great upgrade to add locking to an guitar that all ready had the kluson style, but I wanted the look without holes/bushings/mods, etc.

NHTom

Totally agree. I bought my Standard new and want to keep it original. However, because of the quick disconnects on the pups, I put in 57 Classics. Now, I can put on the Kluston style knobs while keeping the awesome attributes of the Grover locking tuners is a bonus. These mods can be swapped back in minutes.

Thanks,

It's By Longhorn Leathers LLC. Guy by the name of Duncan Clark does my straps. He's an amazing artist.

NHTom

I bookmarked their site and Duncan Clark's name so, when the time comes for me to buy an expensive custom strap, I'll be ready. Thanks NHTom.

Thanks for pointing me to the tuners. Might work with my ES-339.

I have the 6 in line version on a Strat and I think they’re cool. The installation instructions are badly translated from Japanese, other than that the quality is nice. The normal precautions apply, make sure the bushing fits your guitar and lubricate the screws with wax or soap before installation to avoid breaking off the screw heads

Archived