Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo

Jim Wilson

So, help me out here. How exactly does a Southern Jumbo differ from a J45?

Split parelellagram inlays and more bindings. Originally the J-55. Remarketed as 'Southern Jumbo' to appeal more to the Southern States. Structurally almost identical to the J-45.

The original name was the Southerner Jumbo -- when everyone started to call it the Southern Jumbo, Gibson gave up and did too.

When it was introduced c. 1942 at the same time as the J-45, it had RW B&Ss instead mahogany and more bling. Soon thereafter, the RW was replaced by mahogany, and it became basically a J-45 with bling.

Here are some early versions of each, c. 1942/3 -J-45, SJ, and SJ RW

They are all heavenly guitars some say.uMKrqnu.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

As others said, it’s a dressed up J-45.

Bargains are out there on used models. I picked this one up recently.

https://reverb.com/item/12242570-gibson-southern-jumbo-acoustic-vintage-reissue-1500-obo

Had no pickguard, but I had an extra firestripe batwing the folks at Bozeman gave me a few years back.

If anyone has one from the same run, pleas let me know. I’m curious what pickguard was originally used.

If you look at the bridge, the pins are located closer to the bridge causing a different angle with the strings. Some folks "say" that makes a sonic difference. I have an Southern Jumbo, and I do not really hear a difference. I do however think it looks better with the parallelograms and the binding on the neck.

They make some nice signature SJ models.

The Dwight Yoakam has RW b&s and 19 frets. Too bad they didn't use the rectangular bridge but I think these are supposed to be styled like the 50's models.

http://www.gibson.co...e/Features.aspx

The Kristofferson model is supposed to be modeled after his personal guitar.

http://www.gibson.co...fferson-SJ.aspx

The Aaron Lewis model looks pretty nice too.

31309B03-011E-4E14-B769-25BF8D8724AA_zpssqjf3rga.jpg

If you look at the bridge, the pins are located closer to the bridge causing a different angle with the strings. Some folks "say" that makes a sonic difference. I have an Southern Jumbo, and I do not really hear a difference. I do however think it looks better with the parallelograms and the binding on the neck.

Yes, it does seem to be a feature on contemporary Southern Jumbos:

1O2tfjw.png?2

ZykRD1G.png?2

I have a 2016 J45 and a 2018 Southern Jumbo.

Differences:

- The Southern Jumbo costs 700 € more than the J45 when I bought it (Southern Jumbo = 2.600€ at the moment)

- As already described the bindings and "ornamentation"

- J45 has a Graph-tec nut, Southern Jumbo a tusq nut

- The Sitka top of my Southern Jumbo has a little wider grain

- Thinner lacquer on the top on the Southern Jumbo

- A much higher action on the Southern Jumbo, had to grind the Bridge a little - again, this seems to be the disersion of Gibson production

- My Southern Jumbo is lighter than the J45 (maybe due to statistical variance)

- The bass - especially the low E string - is more present on the Southern Jumbo

- A "Custom Shop" logo at the end of the neck, but no "Limited Edition" sticker inside

Both guitars have a VTC pickup System, both guitars look good, they sound different with the same Basis direction.

Archived