Gibson Brands Forums

I Just Noticed.....

Murph

I've been a member here for 10 years.

Actually, I was on the other, original one too with Karen (Gillian Girl), Steve (The Hall Groper), and the rest, some gone, some just not here.....

I was a player in the original Lounge back when it was the Wild, Wild West as well, having lots of fun drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and talking politics.

All clean and sober and acoustic now, paying taxes and staying out of jail.

With changes coming at the top of Gibson, this place will surely see some changes too in the near future. I hope this acoustic sub-forum doesn't change much, it's a great group here with a lot of respect for each other and needs very little policing I'm sure.

Carry on.

Yeah, I remember those earlier versions of the forum, even a small group that started another Gibby forum, but fortunately ended-up back home. I hope this forum stays pretty much the same. After all these years we’ve kind of grown on each other (here it comes—-“like a fungas”). This is kind of a layed-back and easy-going place and doesn’t have much of the stress and bull you find in most forums.

I've been here since...I don't know.... 2004? 2005? It was long before the 2007 Homecoming because that's when I met Guitarstrummer, Gilliangirl, Hogeye and many others that I already knew from the forum. I think the 'new' forum launched in late 2007 and it wasn't long after I joined that one that they asked me to be a moderator. My popularity has been declining steadily ever since lol...

... With changes coming at the top of Gibson, this place will surely see some changes too in the near future. I hope this acoustic sub-forum doesn't change much, it's a great group here with a lot of respect for each other and needs very little policing I'm sure. ...

Whoa . . . I see a lot of single digit join years on these posts. Nice to see a good number of long time members checking in on this thread. I lurked for a year or so until I officially joined on New Years 2009.

I agree with you Murph. I really enjoy the group and posts here on the acoustic sub-forum. I especially like the favors and nice things that happen between members (lately it was Buc's pup to Jinder).

Onward mates . . . . B)

here's my sad story

I belong to a few other forums currently and have been active in quite a few in the past.

The Gibson Forum in general, is for me, the best of the lot. Sure, people get the hair on their backs up now and then, but it does not happen often here, and most of the time, an amiable settlement is reached with the warring factions.. sometimes not, and we have lost some good contributors, but this kind of stuff happens.

Hopefully no one comes to the mind during a meeting of the "suits" @Corporate land that this whole thing needs to go.

..There 'd probably be an uprising..

I was at homecoming that year. Is that the year you won a guitar (I was so jealous!)?

I've been here since...I don't know.... 2004? 2005? It was long before the 2007 Homecoming because that's when I met Guitarstrummer, Gilliangirl, Hogeye and many others that I already knew from the forum. I think the 'new' forum launched in late 2007 and it wasn't long after I joined that one that they asked me to be a moderator. My popularity has been declining steadily ever since lol...

There also was a guy called "Murphy Slaw" who deserves honorable mention.

He kindly and patiently explained Ladder Bracing to this Newbie.

I was Murphy Slaw, I'm Murphy Slaw on many forums.

I wrote Murphy Slaw. I OWN Murphy Slaw. The copyright is 1998.

Congratulations Murph on 10!

You probably should get a free Gibson hat or something [mellow] ....if they still make them...

Speaking of which, can I ask a question about Gibson future without everyone going rabid, seeing as the posts above think you are so ...gulp..nice? On another forum, there was a thread about some of the Gibson shareholders wanting to sell. Which got me to thinking....here is the question....who in the US would have the money needed to buy Gibson lock stock and smoking barrel? I mean, you would have to be taking a large gamble at the moment the way things are, so I think any potential buyers would have to be so rich that a bit more on the guitar company wouldn't bother the bottom line too much for a while? Is Gibson allowed to be sold overseas?

BluesKing777.

Congratulations Murph on 10!

You probably should get a free Gibson hat or something [mellow] ....if they still make them...

Speaking of which, can I ask a question about Gibson future without everyone going rabid, seeing as the posts above think you are so ...gulp..nice? On another forum, there was a thread about some of the Gibson shareholders wanting to sell. Which got me to thinking....here is the question....who in the US would have the money needed to buy Gibson lock stock and smoking barrel? I mean, you would have to be taking a large gamble at the moment the way things are, so I think any potential buyers would have to be so rich that a bit more on the guitar company wouldn't bother the bottom line too much for a while? Is Gibson allowed to be sold overseas?

BluesKing777.

Might have been 'trash talk'. There are no 'shareholders'. Gibson is privately owned.

I think I started posting circa 2002 on the old forum, mostly at that time on the Epiphone Acoustic side. There was a poster from Japan named Tad on it who knew everything about every Japanese made Epiphone (as compared to now a days when the early import era of Epiphone is basically a mystery), which was quite fascinating at the time. There used to be tons of posting on the Epiphone forum back then and one of the coolest things was once there was a live chat session on the Epiphone side with Dave Berryman, Epiphone’s prez, where he listened and responded to everything everyone said as well as everyone’s suggestions to improve the Epi line. (I suggested at the time that he should tap into Epi’s historic NY Epi period of acoustic arch tops rather than just Gibson knockoffs, which at last occurred years later with their Olympic, Zenith, and Deluxe Masterbuilt line, although my suggestion at the time focused only on bringing back the 30s Zenith.) From there I gravitated to the Gibson forum. Somewhere along the way I lost my password to my internet moniker of Question Mark and had to restart it as QuestionMark with no space in between the names and I couldn’t retrieve it because there was no “forgot password” button or something. And then the forum got revamped (the Epiphone Acoustic forum never recovered its multiple regular posters) and I just kept the same moniker. Later, I wanted to jettison the QuestionMark name, but there were too many historical posts to it to start over, so I began signing each post as QM aka Jazzman Jeff.

I too remember Gillian Girl when she used to post!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I think Roger McNamee should buy Gibson. He is a hedge fund guy. He plays with his band MoonAlice all the time. San Fran area. Elevation Partners. U2's Bono is one of his partners.

He should buy Gibson. Great guy. Perfect guy. And I'll be CEO if he hires me.

EM you be creative director. Grunt... co head. Murph... you are head of security. Anyone comes at me, bounce their azz. red333 you are in Charge of the website and videos. Hog is in charge of models... to keep it traditional. Plus he has the merchandise. Keith Walker... you write a catchy Gibson Jingle and sing it.

Oh... and we need one guy... for whenever GuitarLight buys a Gibson... to make sure that there are a few extra glue drops on the bracing near the soundhole.

Wait... I don't know how to be a CEO.

Ok Fugg it.

Archived