Gibson Brands Forums

Rooster with M80

BluesKing777

Still experimenting with my Baggs M80 in various guitars....here I have put it in my 1993 Lowden LSE1 mahogany/sitka and open tuned to F and grabbed the Blue Diamond bottleneck for my solo version of Willie Dixon's "Red Rooster" direct to my A&H mixer. Vocal in my Neumann KM184....

BluesKing777.

Thanks BBG, George and Murph!

Apologies for the banging noises, bottleneck hitting the guitar by mistake - action of the Lowden is way too low for slide really.....and my hand stiffened a bit when I pressed Record.

But I like the sound - the condenser mic picked up the guitar as well and the Baggs pickup blended in very nicely. Unfortunately, this would probably cause feedback at a gig....but recording has the pickup giving it some bottom end to the guitar that just isn’t there if I just did the one mic. (and without the vocal mic, the pickup sounds....aha...magnetic. But I am enjoying playing a few of my guitars with previously no electrics......I suppose they were electronic virgins!)

BluesKing777.

Thanks Billroy!

BK style, eh?

I had a couple of versions - a very straight through version I have played since the year dot, a Howling wolf riff but maybe a bit of RJ crept in and led me astray after I did the ‘nice’ but probably boring version in a run through but when I hit record......mixed them all up and that is what came out! (“Johnny Lee change when Johhny Lee want to change” - J L Hooker.)

BluesKing777.

[thumbup]

Thanks Billroy!

Whole thing is one take, no overdubs, Billroy. While there are bangs and noises and mistakes and changes of direction to what I was originally doing before recording, but it gets a certain ‘feel’ with ‘one take this is what you get’ that you usually lose with multi-tracking. I mention because you were interested in multi takes and mixing it etc, which I am not against or anything....though I think it is easier to learn the song and do it like you would live....

BluesKing777.

Archived