Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-30 1939 bridge

Filbert

I picked up a 1939 L-30 recently from Reverb and it arrived today from Spain. The seller has included both the original bridge and a rosewood compensated bridge but neither are attached to the guitar and it was shipped with slackened strings etc. I know it might be a bit of a daft question but should the bridge be glued down to the top? Or is it one of those floating ones that is held in place by string tension only? If it does need to be glued, can it be done simply and easily at home and if so, what glue to use? Or does it need to go to a proper luthier for fettling?

Any advice appreciated!

Let her float. No glue but you'll need help with placement to get proper intonation up the fret board.

OK that's kind of what I figured but I was worried that knocking it accidentally or placing it in the wrong place would bugger up the intonation. There does seem to be an obvious place to put it though - the finish and fading of the varnish is obviously different where the bridge has sat. I must say, it does look like remnants of glue there though, hence the question.

Archived