Gibson Brands Forums

my acoustic roadmap

uncle fester

I have a Kalamazoo KG 3/4 Sport, and it is incredibly cool. I use it when writing songs, traveling, or to record as a second guitar using Nashville tuned strings. It is such a tiny little thing (about the size of a contemporary Little Martin), but fully workable guitar. Tom, I remember hearing yours in a video you posted a few years ago, at the time I bought mine. Seller claimed mine was a 1938, but I have no idea how to verify that. Headstock says only Kalamazoo, no Sport logo, and I find no other markings on it.

Lars

I think 1938 would be a good guess. From Joe Spann's book, it looks like it was introduced in 1938, but at least three batches were made that year -- a lot for a small run model like Sport. Also the early ones did not have SPORT on the headstock.

IMO you are right -- they are little jewels.

Best,

-Tom

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is. Since there are 12 guitars, there are basically two in the center. The left one is a 1935 L-00 3/4. This guitar is x-braced and is quite rare. The form factor appeared three times more -- early 40s Kalamazoo Sports Model (a 42 is also in the picture), a late 50s LG-3/4 and the Arlo Guthrie model. Those were all ladder braced.

The next guitar over is a KT-14 (Kalamazoo tenor) -- basically the tenor version of the KG-14.

They are in order -- starting from the 1926 L-1 on the left to the 1946 LG-2 on the far right.

Life is indeed grand.

Best,-Tom

It would be the '35 L-00 3/4. The size is what was throwing me. I never knew the mini-version existed. Thanks.

Along with all those flea market Kays & Harmonys, occasionally something special would come along, such as a Gibson-made Wards solid-carved & X-braced archtop from the '30s, an archtop L-48 from '48 that had a flattop body with full back-bracing, and also a sweet little '50s LG-3/4.

Can't remember what I paid for the LG-3/4, but I don't recall ever paying more than $40 for any instrument at a flea market, so it was somewhere under that threshold.

What a fun little guitar it was to play, but it fell victim to my '70s trade-up philosophy. It's one I'd love to have back, but not at today's prices!

That is right!. Here is an example -- not a guitar, but basically a prewar Mastertone banjo. It was basically a Granada -- top of the line -- but not gold plated and skinned in mahogany instead of maple. This is from the summer MW catalog in 1930.

WG0Ng6B.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived