Gibson Brands Forums

McDonalds Versus Handmade

AngryHatter

Which would you choose?

A Big Mac is the same no matter WHERE it is made.

Handmade means slight variance. Fluctuation in paint quality or simple things like number of wraps on a pickup.

My Fenders have always been plain Jane quality guitars.

My Gibsons have been handmade, imperfect things made by humans.

So my Fenders have been easier to work on - the screws always fit well, the holes drilled line up with the body.

My Gibsons - take the rear plate off and it never goes on the same way again.

Gibsons are frustrating but they make the sounds I can never get from a Fender no matter what I do.

Like my wife.

Which would you choose?

Handmade means slight variance. Fluctuation in paint quality or simple things like number of wraps on a pickup.

So my Fenders have been easier to work on - the screws always fit well, the holes drilled line up with the body.

Gibsons are frustrating but they make the sounds I can never get from a Fender no matter what I do.

Like my wife.

unless you are buying really old gibsons, you're still buying a machine made guitar. they are not hand made, very little of them is hand done. you're buying a big mack no matter what you buy, unless it's a luthier one-off piece.

What Fender line-up are we talking about?

I have a 1972 I bought for $272 and a 2012(?) MIM I bought for $400.

My point is Fenders come out like Quarter Pounders.

A Gibson being compared to an In-N-Out is probably apt. Handmade and much better tasting.

Every Gibson I have ever owned has had signs of being made by humans. I like that.

I have a 1972 I bought for $272 and a 2012(?) MIM I bought for $400.

My point is Fenders come out like Quarter Pounders.

A Gibson being compared to an In-N-Out is probably apt. Handmade and much better tasting.

Every Gibson I have ever owned has had signs of being made by humans. I like that.

That's just the QC ;)

Okay - Fender has better QA standards but I'd rather have a Gibson?

Me too.

But I actually do see what you're saying. I too find the Fenders I've played somehow ... I dunno, but AFAIC, they DO feel like they're somehow more "machine-made" than Gibsons, even if they're not.

i like strats, not really a tele guy. all the other shapes they make are...not for me. gibson, on the other hand has several shapes i like, in configurations i would choose. i suppose that makes me a gibson guy, generally.

as for the handmade thing, no matter who it is, i prefer the machine every single time. it's more accurate, and more wallet friendly. i have no romantic feelings what so ever for handmade electric guitars. there isn't anything I would do with one that would benefit from being hand made.

an acoustic on the other hand i can see the benefits one might get from a hand made instrument. if i had the need, and the wherewithal, i can see how (possibly) a handmade acoustic guitar might actually make sense.

Okay - Fender has better QA standards but I'd rather have a Gibson?

not really.. Go take a peek at the Fender forum and see what people are saying over there. They are not without their flaws.

A lot of the things that people complain about when they buy a new Gibson, I think are more or less still hand done,

The binding application seems to come up a lot as well as finish flaws. Bindings are still hand done, and Nitro is more labor intensive as a process than is poly, so there is something to the relationship for what a lot of people find fault with, to what is hand done. Some things are not related to a hands on issue, but it seems to me that many of the common ones are.

Then again, some people are just a bit more meticulous when they see the minor flaws, and the equate that to the amount of money they had to put down. I get that.

But with a lot of these kind of situations, may others wouldn't really care about what some do seem to be concerned with.

Some of these issues are real, some of them are just a more personal viewpoint.

Which would you choose?

Like my wife.

Your wife sounds like a Gibson?

My ex sounded more like a Hagstrom, but without any volume control.

Archived