Gibson Brands Forums

Cry Me A River!!

Danker

I have to make a confession to all you DF (and Gibson) lovers and at the same time are begging for your advise.

To begin with I'm a guitar beginner, well I have played the piano for several years in my youth, but never lost the desire to play a guitar. But due to a very bussy life it never came to a start

Last X-mas I bought a acoustic guitar for my 9 year old son and a Beatifull Greg Bennett TR 1 with a H & K 15 w amp voor my 17 year old son to start playing as they wished Santa for it and they started with privat lessons.

The tones they produce in my house made my hart feel at least 30 years younger and the desire to play guitar myself grew each day.

And because Santa wasn't listening to my prayers I decide to fullfill my own wishes and started to check out the Gibson site for something special.

And guess what - my hart was TOUCHED by the DarkFire pages because of the looks, the high-end technical aspect, the Firewire connection to my other hobby - electronics and computers and the and auto tuning aspect.

I managed to reserve, and pay completely for a DarkFire at the most complete Gibson shop in the Netherlands (MAX Guitars in The Hague) wich is word wile visiting for you Gibson lovers all over the world whenever you are visiting The netherlands, it's more a Gibson museum and all the most beatifull Gibson's are on display.

Now that I'm checking for weeks and weeks your discussions and frustration about the DF I'm beginning to wonder if I should still wait for what might be a big dissapointment considering all your experiences with the DF.

My desire to play resulted in sleepless nights and, to make it even worse, today I spoke with a owner of another Gibson supplier in the Netherands were I ordered a original Gibson belt.

They told, in all honesty, me that when they last visited the NAMM and a senior sales rep from Gibson told them it will take another few MONTHS before the problems concerning the RIP shipments to Europe will be solved.

Well to end my story I"m starting to think to switch to another Gibson.

For I have allready bought a beatifull The Valve 5 watt class A tube amp with a Solid Cable I want to keep the standard high concerning my wish to play mostely Bluess, jazz and older type off music (think Beatles and stuff like that)

I really like the tones of a clean LP as displayed on the Custom site from Gibson.

There are at this moment 4 guitars wich caught my attention to choose from;

1. Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard, complete with COA, case goodies and Custom Shop Case.

2. Les Paul Custom Black Ebony, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard, complete with COA, case goodies and Custom Shop Case

3. Les Paul Classic Custom with P-90 pickups, ebony, single-bound body, gold hardware, and a '60s style slim taper neck.

4. Les Paul Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Burstbucker Pro pickups containing Alnico V magnets, Chrome Binding

All 4 mentioned guitars are more or less the the price of the DF but that's not my priority.

Pls advise what to do, wait for the DF wich could take anothe long time from now and wait for an infinte period or change to a guitar (for a beginner) and start playing next week?

I truly hope you guys still waitnig for your DF your waiting days will be short and hopefully you get the type off guitar, like Gibson is mentioning "will exeed your dreams"

I truly hope so!!

THANKS!!

My opinion (for what its worth!), is that the DF would be too much for a beginner - for the reason that you will spend a long time fiddling with all the tech, rather than just playing and learning. I've played for 25 years and only now have moved from the basic guitar copies to a "proper" guitar. I'm even still considering going for a good standard LP or PRS instead of the DF because I want to spend the time i get playing the guitar to actually playing/rehearsing/practicing !

However, given the effort you need to put it, I can understand wanting something to inspire you - and why not! I would still go for a good "standard" LP if I were you.

Hope that helps.

Interesting conundrum danker, wait for DF or start playing now....................my advice, do both!!! Like me, you will have payed a lot in euros for the DF, why not ask the shop if they will loan you a guitar until yours arrives? I'm sure they will be pretty amenable considering the price you payed and I have no doubt they will possess a healthy selection of second hand guitars sitting around, or something that snotty nosed teenagers pluck off the wall on a saturday morning, that they wouldn't mind you using for a few weeks? They might even give you a gauranteed buy-back price if you bought a new one?

There is a lot of experience and knowledgeable folk on this site and I am sure that, by the tone of your message, you will soon make 'friends' who will be more than willing to give you basic playing advice as well as an insight into all the DF trickery plus I think it will add to the healthy mix of experience levels utilising this new technology.

Bottom line, stay in our club!!!;)/

I...Well to end my story I"m starting to think to switch to another Gibson.

For I have allready bought a beatifull The Valve 5 watt class A tube amp with a Solid Cable I want to keep the standard high concerning my wish to play mostely Bluess' date=' jazz and older type off music (think Beatles and stuff like that)

I really like the tones of a clean LP as displayed on the Custom site from Gibson.

There are at this moment 4 guitars wich caught my attention to choose from;

1. Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard, complete with COA, case goodies and Custom Shop Case.

2. Les Paul Custom Black Ebony, gold hardware, ebony fingerboard, complete with COA, case goodies and Custom Shop Case

3. Les Paul Classic Custom with P-90 pickups, ebony, single-bound body, gold hardware, and a '60s style slim taper neck.

4. Les Paul Heritage Cherry Sunburst, Burstbucker Pro pickups containing Alnico V magnets, Chrome Binding

All 4 mentioned guitars are more or less the the price of the DF but that's not my priority...

[/quote']

Have a look at this one, if you haven't decided yet... it is a standard model with some more tonal alternatives and about 1K less than DF:

Gibson LP PUSH-TONE:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/gotm/lespaulpush%2Dtone/

Welcome to the forum Danker. It's always hard to advise someone on a purchase of this nature. I would consider a couple of things tho:

1. Are you planning to only play at home.

2. Are you planning to eventually do some studio recordings (maybe a modest home studio).

3. Are you planning to go out and play at open mic's or a friends house.

4. Are you committed to the long hours and frustration that comes with learning a new instrument. I'm not suggesting you master the instrument, but fully learning the major chords and changing from one to another in the proper tempo to be able to play a song.

5. Are you wanting a very solid instrument and wanting to purchse a high-end instrument (it seems from your post, you are).

6. Consider the actual weight of a guitar. Will you stand and have the guitar on a strap or will you play it only resting on your knee.

The Dark Fire is capable of providing you anything a high-end instument is, plus it has the capability for you to use alternate tunings, helping guide you to intonate the guitar properly, has added value in that it provides different sounds for you to select, and just as important, it provides you the capability to connect up to a PC and work with adding various sounds to the sounds producded by the the guitar.

The questions I added above should help you to decide if you truly need a guitar that has alot of capability, other than simply playing it as a normal Les Paul guitar.

The DF is an answer to all of the questions above. But, do you need all of the capability it has to offer ? Keep in mind, you can still have all the DF capability and not want to go out and perform or work on music in a studio recording environment also.

Personally, I really love the DF and still have yet to explore it's full potential, but I can tell you so far, it's a wonderful piece of technical acheivement and the bottom line is it's a very high end Les Paul all to itself. It resonates beautifully and it's playability and is very good.

Only thing I dislike about the DF so far, is on tremolo.....but, hey there are options on that too.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best and have fun playing the guitar and share your music with friends. O:)

I like what Dexyboy wrote, as far as consider placing an order for the DF and getting an inexpensive guitar or a loaner now until your DF arrives.

Not to get off topic,

I keep playing my Dark Fire a lot - and I'm very inspired with its tone and sustain.

I think I'm going to install my Stetsbar tremolo on another guitar and get more data info on its performance before I make big modifications.

I do love the sustain and wide tone on the Dark Fire. The nice looking top is inspiring, and a large part of my initial attraction - but blindfolded, the Dark Fire just reacts with a dynamic range equal to the finest instruments - And I have been fortunate to be exposed to several fine examples of those.

Not to boast, but I have personally played the #1 axe for a who's who of top players when I was at Valley Arts Guitar in Studio City 1979-1986

Sonically, and playability - The Dark Fire is the equal of those axes.

But as I tell everyone

"Play the Guitar that inspires you to play beyond your abilities, and allows you to move to a higher level."

- but blindfolded' date=' the Dark Fire just reacts with a dynamic range equal to the finest instruments - And I have been fortunate to be exposed to several fine examples of those.[/b']

Not to boast, but I have personally played the #1 axe for a who's who of top players when I was at Valley Arts Guitar in Studio City 1979-1986

that is such a relief to hear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I mean it.

You really make a difference in my quest for my next love!

As I read through the lines you are saying "make a choice with your best common sense and wait a bit more"

But I am asking to DF owners or DF owners to be - so what's objective, I wonder

Well I am pracktising on my son's Gregg Bennett for the moment but I certainly will stand still with the advise of dirtypurple "a DF would be to much for a beginner" it makes me really consider, he might be true!!

Nevertheless can you place the question "will a Gibson like the Custom Ebony (My #1 choice so far) be also over the top for a beginner or does it depend on the learning capabilities of a starting player?

I like the looks of a DF but also off the Black Ebony.

A few answers on MLB's post

1. Yes

2. Intent to make a small studio with my boys and do some mixing and recording (therfore the DF is TOP)

3. Can't sing, so NO!

4. Long hours and nights to - you bet!

5. Yes

6. Both

But the last line in his post touched again my hart - it's from Elantric who finished with;

"Play the Guitar that inspires you to play beyond your abilities, and allows you to move to a higher level."

So I will think to wait some time more.

Whe my DF arives in the Netherlands I will take A VERY GOOD inspection on the DF and can always make a switch to a alternative guitar on the spot.

My dealer is a wise and verty respected Gibson Goeroe in my country so he might understand my feelings about a change-on the-spot.

It will most certainly be the choice for the beatifull Custom Ebony with 2 golden pick up's or the Les Paul Standard 2008 Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

I hope I can learn to play my favourite choice off music on both - it must be, THEY ARE GIBSONS!!

Thanks again guy's, but correct me if I'm wrong thinking, your advise is truly apreciated - I mean it

hey, i dont want to put you off completely...ive not been lucky enough to actually try one given i live in a third world continent!!

I just think that you would be better off spending a decent amount of money on a really good Gibson..say around the $1500 mark. Then wait 12 months, and the DF version 2 will be out. I'm sure you will not need all the tech that the Df has to offer in that time.

The only reason i havent cancelled my order is that (and no pressure here!) elantric has said a few things about sustain and playability that make me think this will be a good guitar in the long run. The auto tuning is a big plus for me, as i often find when rehearsing or playing live that my guitar will go out of tune. also, the ability to have a lot of flexibility with pickups is a major plus. But then you can also have too many things to think about...so many pickup variations, volume settings on the guitar...tone settings...then the amp settings...pedals... all of that can get in the way of actually practicing technique. I think thats my point here...if you are starting from scratch then i would be wary of buying a guitar that takes you away from the essance of playing. forget about all the marketing...buy a good guitar that will inspire you, but wont detract from your playing.

for what its worth i play an epiphone live and nobody has said it doesnt sound good! unless you play with an amazing band, in a room full of music heads, most people wont even notice the difference between an epi and a gibson - they are often too drunk!

Hi Danker,

You've received a great deal of excellent advice from the members of this forum; they are very wise and experienced! I can't resist adding a little of my insight to your decision-making process. 1) You've already ordered and paid for the Dark Fire; excellent choice in the long run! 2) You state you're an experienced pianist, a beginning guitarist. If you wait until your DF arrives, you'll still be a beginning guitarist, just older. If you buy an alternate guitar that appeals to you now, and start practicing now, and start (or at least consider) taking lessons now, whenever your DF arrives, you'll be that much further ahead and be able to get that much more out of your DF. You'll also be better able to play/evaluate it (and your musical direction as well). 3) You state money is not a consideration, so why not move forward immediately and then see what develops? 4) Dexyboy had an excellent suggestion (several, actually); ask your dealer to work with you. Anyone with your desire and proven musical ability is a dealer's dream! If he/she treats you right, you, and your children, will be customers for a long time to come; use your leverage. Just my 2 cents worth.

I don't really understand all the anti-Dark Fire stuff in these forums. I'm in love with mine. I do not have one of the relished "zebra stripe" editions either -- mine has natural wood grains on it and I think it is drop-dead gorgeous. The red and black finish with the ebony fretboard and natural wood appearance is just perfect for me. The auto-tuning is amazing. The ability to drive Roland synth gear without the ugly GK2A grafted onto my guitar is great. The ability to dynamically rewire the pickups is a nice added plus. The piezo blend is even a nice benefit although I never planned on using that when I first got it.

My only annoyance with the Dark Fire is the lack of a gloss finish on the back and sides. But I can always have that fixed myself if it ever really becomes an issue.

Whenever I go to Guitar center and I see a Les Paul Supreme which I used to lust after so furiously, I am so very grateful that I have a Dark Fire instead.

Great to hear of your positive experience. Hopefully many people here will be singing praises like yours once they get their Dark Fire guitars in due course. The main issue now seems to be that most folks out there can't get their hands onto one soon enough although they bought or placed deposit more than 2 months ago.

PS. Would you like to join the registry? I think your DF is not on it. Welcome on board!!!

I'm with you,

I use all the technology in the Dark Fire, and enjoy playing it.

Some instruments are almost "too pretty" for my taste. My guitars are for sonic exploration, not a glass showcase. Although my Gretsch would look good in one.

It was pointed out that "only people with problems hang out on Forums" - and there is some truth in that statement.

We have our regulars here, but bulk of Dark Fire owners are off enjoying their guitar and cant be bothered to log in. debate their joy with strangers on a Forum. Its human nature 101

It was pointed out that "only people with problems hang out on Forums" - and there is some truth in that statement.

We have our regulars here, but bulk of Dark Fire owners are off enjoying their guitar and cant be bothered to log in. debate their joy with strangers on a Forum. Its human nature 101

I am a newbie to the guitar scene also. I had been 20 years since I picked one up. I purchased a Dark Fire for xmas just to start playing again. I have been enjoying everything that this guitar offers in the comfort of my basement. I am not very good but I am trying to learn reading music and picking up some songs here and there. There is a wealth of information on utube, etc. that there wasn't 20 years ago. I have no plans to join a band, just enjoy entertaining myself with all of the wonderful sounds this guitar has to offer. Money was not an issue for me at the time. IMO it could be a great start with some much to offer.

In fact I was at my local guitar center yesterday in Chicago and they still had that Dark Fire for sale there in their premium room, ( I thought of everyone who is still waiting for theirs to come, too bad you did not live closer) I treated myself to the SG robot Limited edition yesterday. I gave it to my wife to keep until my birthday in March!!

Best wishes

Mark T

Chicago

I am a newbie to the guitar scene also. I had been 20 years since I picked one up. I purchased a Dark Fire for xmas just to start playing again. I have been enjoying everything that this guitar offers in the comfort of my basement. I am not very good but I am trying to learn reading music and picking up some songs here and there. There is a wealth of information on utube' date=' etc. that there wasn't 20 years ago. I have no plans to join a band, just enjoy entertaining myself with all of the wonderful sounds this guitar has to offer. Money was not an issue for me at the time. IMO it could be a great start with some much to offer.

In fact I was at my local guitar center yesterday in Chicago and they still had that Dark Fire for sale there in their premium room, ( I thought of everyone who is still waiting for theirs to come, too bad you did not live closer) I treated myself to the SG robot Limited edition yesterday. I gave it to my wife to keep until my birthday in March!!

Best wishes

Mark T

Chicago[/quote']

Exact same profile here. Still amazed how much things changed in the last 20 years. Lots of fun!

Not to get off topic' date='

I keep playing my Dark Fire a lot - and I'm very inspired with its tone and sustain.

I do love the sustain and wide tone on the Dark Fire. The nice looking top is inspiring, and a large part of my initial attraction - but blindfolded, the Dark Fire just reacts with a dynamic range equal to the finest instruments - And I have been fortunate to be exposed to several fine examples of those.

[/quote']

How does the DF tone/sustain compare with that of a Gary Moore BFG?

If comparable, maybe I should just get a GM BFG and install a GraphTech Ghost system (of course, I'd have to tune it myself:-)

Charlie

Hi, for all those who gave me wise advice the last days.

I spoke on the phone today with my dealer and explained my concern about my ordered DF.

Next wednesday I will take a day off and visit his store and will discuss the cancel off my order for the DF and probably drive home with a (reserved) Custom LP Ebony Gold with gold hardware instead.

He told me after all the DF may arrive a lot sooner than some rumours about July for the UK and Europe.

So UK residents keep postive!!

Still stand open for reasonable arguments but will surely consider to start with the Black Beatty.

Start playing with it - save some money the coming 3 or 4 years and then eventually buy the next generation robot - with hopefully all the problems fixed and completed with all the RIP and maybe even more by that time.

I don't think Gibson will make the same mistake with the next launch and deliveries with this type of guitar.

I will keep you posted - at least there will be 1 more DF available in the Netherlands.

Byby all - and stop crying a river for me - I have seen the light - and it's ebony black

Regards.

Archived