Gibson Brands Forums

Korean Sheraton II BY GIBSON

Padraig G

Hi. I have a Tobacco sunburst (880503635) made in Korea with "BY GIBSON" on the headstock. Am I right in my understanding that it was built in 1988 from the "88" at the start of the serial number? Any info on the guitar would be greatly appreciated.

post-71178-007623200 1535365852_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Itoo have a Korean Sheraton Natural finish, sadly not as old as yours. Try searching The Guitar Dater Project on line.

I think that yours was made in May 1988 and was production no. 03635.

Enjoy your beautiful guitar

• 3 weeks later...

I notice that this forum hasn't been too active in recent months/years so I thought I would add something to it.

I own a gorgeous 1988 Sheraton by Gibson in natural finish with upgraded pickups and controls. I wouldn't trade it for any of the recent ES-335 builds coming out of Gibson USA. The Korean build quality and finish detail is amazing. The tone is incredble after the upgrades although it sounded good before I did the work. The headstock is a bit on the heavy/large side but the unique logo signifies a period when some imported instruments matched or exceeded the the instruments coming out from the domestic builders of semi-hollowbodies. I am quite curious to know how many "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons were produced during the few years of their manufacture. Anybody have a clue?

Archived