Gibson Brands Forums

fix yer nuts!! (baking soad & super glue content)

kidblast

my D string is now pretty much LAYING on the first fret in my trusty ol #1 (95 LP Standard..)

Oh the humanity! what to do????

I picked up a fresh bottle of liquid super glue, partially filled the D slot with some baking soda, and put two drops of glue in the slot.

within 10 minutes that mixture dried and is hard as glass. I'm gonna let it sit over night, then take a nut file and re-cut the slot..

Episode 2 of this adventure to be disclosed sometime tomorrow. what's the worse that can happen? I buy a new nut???

yep exactly it's not a permanent fix, it only took 23 years for the nut to wear down on it' own, so I guess I've a few monhts, that stuff cures quite hard, but I'm sure it will need to be addressed eventually. We have a very good luthier in town here, and that's the next stop. She's (yes a she, and she's very good as well as an excellent guitarist) been on vacation for a few weeks, and she'll be no doubt backed up upon returning. I've known her for decades, she usually jumps me to the front of the queue. I'll be checking in with her soon..

my G strings are usually harder on my nuts ...

knowing you as I do, I'm on the fence with this one Doug... are you smuggling grapes these days orrrrr..?

Don't worry about the super glue wearing out because it'll last just fine. I did that on my 335 a number of years ago and it's not wearing down or anything. [thumbup]

yea, I guess so BBP, seemed to be rock hard in like 10 minutes.

I'm way too lazy for that. I would have just bought a new nut.

ha! That seemed like MORE work to me!! LOL!

I hope you didn't do like me and get a blob of glue on the neck and watch it eat thru the nitro in like 5 seconds. [crying]

ouch!!! No sir, I did not. I dbl taped off every place I did not want glue. Fretboard, and head-stock. and it only really takes 2 drops of the glue. There was a wee little tab of the baking soda/glue that sat off the edge of the nut over the fret board, I used an exacto knife to trim it, but none of it touched the fret board.

Stuff really does cure rock hard. I can't imagine this will have to be addressed again. but we'll see..

Oh I'm going to fix it, with an aged tusq XL nut.

I really think my Trad deserves it.

Since the first set up it was crystal clear that the Plek thing didn't do it's job on this guitar. The low E sits completely inside te slot, to say the truth all wound strings buzz like hell when I hit them hard.

Funny thing is the nut on my low end Gibby is perfect, go figure....

Can't wait to get rid of the buzzing and I'm really curious if it will improve my guitars performace like many say.

Glad the baking soda worked to fix your slot!

I had considered replacing the nut. The fact that I don't have a proper set of nut files steered me away this time.

I'd long ago heard about the super glue, backing soda fix (also super glue and dust from a blank nut works too)

You just want to make sure the viscosity of the glue is light, look for the liquid mixtures verses the gel.

It was pretty easy to do, and did not take long.

Super glue is pretty handy. You can even use it to do some small finish repairs (if it's NOT nitro)

Hi Chris

My SG Classic was doing the same thing soon after I got it. (bought it new too) The luthier I used did shim the nut. And then regulated the nut for the new setting, That for sure solved the problem, it's never resurfaced, and it plays well.

There are some (inexpensive) tools you can get to use as nut files. They work in a pinch, but not great for the smaller slots (like the B and E strings)

Cheap Nut Files Here

I did use that tool to cut the D slot, there was one that was a perfect git. I also used these to get my mandolin tweaked right too so they DO work.

This fix was very easy to do. I just took my time and made sure I had masked off any place where I did not want the glue to touch. The longest part was making sure it cured over night. I read that an hour or two is plenty of time, but one of my buds that does a lot of his own work suggested to just let it sit over night. The most tedious part was checking/rechecking the slot once I was setting about to re-cut it.

I should eventually break down and buy a set files. I've probably got enough guitars to justify it. would like to be able to do this myself as well. The amount of cash to set just one nut, would almost buys a half way decent set of files. They're around 80 bucks.

anyways,, sometimes a cheap fix does the trick and so far, this one did just that.

Hmmm...those cheap nut files might come handy in a future, thanks for sharing.

I would have bought a set of good ones a while ago but I really wouldn't use them that much.

Luckily Graphtech makes them pre-slottet, now I only have to be patient until it arives.

I ordered this:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq-xl/product-detail-tusq-xl/pql-6010-ag-tusq-xl-aged-gibson-(electric)-style-slotted-nut?id=8911d1e7-b6e2-40e5-8eae-952a783bb8af

Should also look better than the stock nut.

I will definitely post once it's installed or my guitar is KIA.

To be honest I didn't do it earlier because just the idea of messing with that part of my guitar made me a bit nervous. But it shouldn't be that hard if I'm careful and take my time.

In theory you just have to sand the bottom of the nut and maybe front side to make it fit, no need to mess with the slots.

Wish me luck!

I will definitely post once it's installed or my guitar is KIA.

To be honest I didn't do it earlier because just the idea of messing with that part of my guitar made me a bit nervous. But it shouldn't be that hard if I'm careful and take my time.

In theory you just have to sand the bottom of the nut and maybe front side to make it fit, no need to mess with the slots.

Wish me luck!

Be careful, sanding the front will also lower the height. Better to sand the back

• 3 weeks later...

I've done it a few times myself, no real problems other than getting a little glue where it shouldn't be. I also fixed some action on my acoustic bridge in the same manner. I used to read about it, but figured it wouldn't work....then finally I tried it and have used it since. [thumbup]

I've done it a few times myself, no real problems other than getting a little glue where it shouldn't be. I also fixed some action on my acoustic bridge in the same manner. I used to read about it, but figured it wouldn't work....then finally I tried it and have used it since. [thumbup]

Masking tape!!

I watched a video by “the Guitologist” where he was doing nut work and watching him aimlessly fumble with the masking tape and then get glue all over a nice guitar pretty much made me stop watching his videos. Dude is a hack

Archived