Gibson Brands Forums

2019 Range

SteveFord

It looks like the Richlite trees caught fire and melted as it's now pretty much gone from the line which is good to see.

Neither ebony nor VariTone on a 355 which is not so good to see.

The Explorer and Flying V look tempting, the red Firebird V could use a Lyre Tailpiece to tempt someone like me into foolishly buying another guitar...

This appears to be the year of consolidation into what works which is long overdue.

Either that or they're still banned from importing ebony.

The details on that will probably come out when I'm too old to know what they're talking about!

I haven't had a Flying V or Explorer in years and really like both models.

They went back to rosewood which is a big plus for a Luddite like myself. I'm sure the Grenadillo was fine but not quite what I wanted.

We'll see, have a few things to finish up first (motorcycle, stereo, three surgeries on my stupid body which is happily betraying me).

While there may be some old stocks of Ebony about.. Theres only one place you can get it from source now which is through this man... Anyone who hasn't yet seen it and cares at all as to whats happening should watch it (and its several years old now but still relevant).

This is a few years old and the fellow from Martin doesn't pinpoint their ebony vendor.

http://blog.martinguitar.com/blog/ask-michael-wood-purchasing

Ebony is still in use by quite a few guitar companies, could they all be sourcing it from Taylor?

Shame they didn't put the strings through the body on the Flying V like it originally had.

That was such a distinctive feature for that model, you'd think they would have kept it.

Well yeah.. I can still get Ebony in small amounts off ebay but for a big company like Gibson id imagine theres only one place that has that much and Bob owns the rights to cut it down and is now the only place in the world where harvesting of Ebony is still legal.

The thing is that one of the reasons that people like Ebony is the look.. The pure black Ebony is pretty much gone so if you want that look you either have to dye the streaky Ebony black or use and alternative which if you want pure black is richlite. So id say expect more guitars with streaky Ebony or varying alternative woods.

Archived