Gibson Brands Forums

2019 LP Standard

Black Dog

What! No auto-tuners!? No holograms! What am I paying $3300 for?

Ha yeah.. They have screwed that relationship up somewhat with Tronical....

More surprisingly (I think) is that Jim DeCola is still there.. Wasn't he the brainchild behind the total failure of the 2015 models?

The only thing that interested me was the dip switch explanation.. Id kind of like to try it out but am not that bothered.

More surprisingly (I think) is that Jim DeCola is still there.. Wasn't he the brainchild behind the total failure of the 2015 models?

...and vaguely eerie how his surname evokes parallels to the New Coke debacle (...or was it marketing genius?) of 30 years prior. :-k

Guitars like this aren't for me. I'm definitely a Luddite when it comes to guitars.

But, I thought it was a nicely done video and I'm sure that in spite of all the electronics it's a great sounding guitar.

I would have at least added a cherry sunburst finish though. Just green and blue doesn't seem right for a LP Standard. Although, some dealers like WW have cherry bursts, maybe just as special runs?

I think it's fair to say that Gibson USA is pretty much not going to change until they gut the management. They're too stubborn for people as old as they are. They thought they knew better than the customers, cause they're greedy and foolish.

Jim DeCola and Henry should have to run laps around the factory until they admit they're obstinate and are destroying the company. "Hi, my name's Jim and I destroyed the Les Paul guitar."

And where's Henry's partner in all of this? He owns 39% too. He's the guy who holds the key to turning Gibson around. As long as he sits on the sidelines and lets Henry and Jimbo do what they want they'll be making LP's in sea snot green with no pickguard and stupid electronics designs until some foreign company not run by MBA's takes them over.

I kind of like the pickup options and being able to change what the push/pull pots do. That's cool. I wonder if you can buy the 2019 PCB and replace the 2017 PCB and get the same features? I'm going to guess you could, if they sell it. The color options aren't awesome if those are the only colors.

I haven't seen any of the 2019's that I have to have so far.

Looks like Zzsounds has a 2019 cherry sunburst Standard: https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPS19?siid=245438

They're making the electronics to complicated.

Agreed, but some people like all the options.

If I had one of these I would try everything out until I found the sweetest sound and just leave it there forever. I know that's not what Gibson are going for. They want to appeal to players that like tweaking.

Even two pickups and four knobs are too complicated for me.

Agreed, but some people like all the options.

If I had one of these I would try everything out until I found the sweetest sound and just leave it there forever. I know that's not what Gibson are going for. They want to appeal to players that like tweaking.

Even two pickups and four knobs are too complicated for me.

Yeah I don't see this as an issue... Its just a way of re-wiring your guitar with the flick of a switch. Find the settings you like and leave them there, that's what I would do to. But then when the day comes and you want to hear something different this makes a nice easy mod to do.

Like I said, I don't want or need those features, but it doesn't mean I think it's a bad move by Gibson and that nobody else will want them. I'm generally not a fan of PCBs but it is pretty impressive that (when combined with the push/pulls) they allow for that many different circuits. I don't remember if they mentioned how many different options are available but it's probably as many or more than even Jimmy Page's number. 2. I bet it'll be popular, unlike the auto tuners.

you would love then the S1 switching that Fender is using. you'd need a flash light and roadmap to sort that out.

I think the tech is cool. IMHO a Standard should a bit more basic, I liked it better when they had these options exclusive to the HPs. I have a 2013 Standard and like the push pull knobs, but that is far as I will go when it comes to a Lester. If I was to buy another brand new LP, I would have to look at the Trads or the Classics. Yet Gibby limits the finishes on these models.

...I don't remember if they mentioned how many different options are available but it's probably as many or more than even Jimmy Page's number. 2...

From the clip;

"...With all the different possible combinations it's over 500 different possible selections..."

Pip.

I for one would never have an issue with my electric guitar circuits to be all PCBs. If the board is designed right, it will be simple to replicate the same circuit millions of times with smaller connection lengths as opposed to wires. As well, the "complexity" of the connections they are implementing in these new models would be a hand-wired mess. A lot easier to have some DIP switches select which connections are made and broken. Do I think that the PCB should warrant hundreds more for a guitar, no, not at all. They save the company money - probably a lot more as they do not have to pay for a worker to hand-wire and solder the connections. As well, the circuits are probably going to fail less when they are coming off the line as hand-wire mistakes may decrease. The only issues one may have is cold solder joints to the PCB. It will make it harder for the average player to troubleshoot especially if they have no electronics knowledge and/or the ability to solder.

Overall, I like the PCB idea, but do not think it warrants extra cost as this move was probably intended to save labor costs. I pretty much believe this because what do we buy today that is hand-wires for the most part? Practically ALL of our electronics are PCB driven, and this includes those cheap-O electronic things we use everyday aside from guitars. It's simple for PCBs... Simply print of millions of these 100% pre-determined connections, simply place the components in the vias, then flow some solder on them and watch it fuse to the exposed traces where connections are intended. And again, all these extra connections are simply more traces which doesn't take an electrical engineer to figure out what is being connected here and there...

That's all fair enough, but I don't know that the PCB is the reason for the higher cost.

I think the tech is cool. IMHO a Standard should a bit more basic, I liked it better when they had these options exclusive to the HPs. I have a 2013 Standard and like the push pull knobs, but that is far as I will go when it comes to a Lester. If I was to buy another brand new LP, I would have to look at the Trads or the Classics. Yet Gibby limits the finishes on these models.

I think I'm with ya there, the traditional models are more in line with what I'm accustomed to. Maybe dinosaurs like myself would find it a little easier to swallow if they left the standards as is, and came up with a new qualifier for the new whiz-bang electronic options, Asym neck profiles, and compound radius and all that stuff that just paints little question mark emojis on my forehead. [blink]

having said all this, I still would like to try one not only for the pickup options but the newer neck style. The only place I Can do that is a Guitar Center.. (Ugh..) I can't say I'd pony up $3.5k to own one, when the two standards I do have are both excellent and they have been for a long time now, paid for.

Surely it's better to have lots of tonal options if you play many different styles? You can still get a traditional type tone from these guitars too, so it's a win win in my opinion. I'm normally quite a traditional sort of player, but I have guitars with standard electronics and ones with various tonal options and I like both. I think if you are playing a varied gig and only have the option to take 1 guitar then guitars with multiple tones are ideal.

As far as the electronics go I don't see what is not to like. You get all the features of the HP model from years past but without the chrome knobs. But you are paying the HP price for a Standard. It's pretty cool that you get 50s wiring or a host of other tonal features if you want them.

I got a 2017 Standard and after some "getting used to" time have come to love the compound radius fingerboard, and the push pulls that it has I use occasionally (although they are a little different than this model). So electronically and tonally I don't see anything wrong with all the options this new Standard gives you.

But only two colors??? What is that all about, I can't understand that at all. And then there is the MSRP which is almost $800 more than I paid for a new 2017, so a 32% price increase for the dip switches and only two colors. [scared]

But only two colors??? What is that all about, I can't understand that at all. And then there is the MSRP which is almost $800 more than I paid for a new 2017, so a 32% price increase for the dip switches and only two colors. [scared]

There are more colours.. Check here

https://www.andertons.co.uk/gibson-2019

I don't know why Gibson are so deficient when it comes to their own web site.. In the last how ever many years its taken them months to update the site to the new model.. This time they did it the same time as everyone else but haven't yet put all the colour options up?? Weird if you ask me.. What I think they should do is purposely release it on the main Gibson site first and then let the retailers have at it a day or two later... That they would drive many more people to the site to get the latest info and might sell more?

Archived