Gibson Brands Forums

ES-275 Semi

gnappi

Finally Gibson has another semi hollow in production, and I HOPE the bean counters give it some time to gain traction and mature in the product line.

I remember the (first) Midtowns and they were out of production even before most players ever heard of them. Then in a knee jerk move they reintroduced them but not the same as the originals, and they too were discontinued.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/Memphis/ES-275-Thinline-2019.aspx

Finally Gibson has another semi hollow in production............

Not sure what you mean by "finally". I don't know where this is supposed to fit in. Sure they "say" it is a jazz box, but that is just marketing hype. I know their goal is sell guitars, but when the ground is already covered, what need is there from the consumer's part? What does this do that another model can't?

All my opinion, of course, but I still think of the ES-LP that way too. I think that is a model that will fade out too, from lack of real purpose.

Right now, I think one of main thing supporting some models (ES-LP, ES-339, etc.) is the clamoring "smaller/lighter" models from aging player that are having physical difficulties and younger players who quite frankly are physically lacking. That support is not based on tone, performance or any other merits of the guitar itself.

When a new model comes out, I would expect it to me something other models aren't. Just a logical approach, but not one necessarily favored by marketing. Not the first time and won't be the last that marketing attempts to create a market. Been pretty successful with consumer electronics.

Not sure what you mean by "finally". I don't know where this is supposed to fit in. Sure they "say" it is a jazz box, but that is just marketing hype. I know their goal is sell guitars, but when the ground is already covered, what need is there from the consumer's part? What does this do that another model can't?

I prefer the single cut to a DC in fully and semi hollow models, they look correct to me. So... they FINALLY have one I like.

• 1 year later...

Shouldn't be. 

I wouldn't go any heavier though.

You could sight down the neck by standing the guitar on the floor and looking from the treble side - compare the straightness of your high E string to the straightness of the neck and if it curves away then yes, the string gauge is making a difference but this can be cancelled out by carefully tightening the truss rod (if you know what you are doing). 

I haven't tried  D'Addario flats;  I am in UK and have Thomastik-Infeld 11-50 (might be 11-48) - expensive but very long-lasting and well worth it.