Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation Les Paul Classic

mingsteen

The D string on my LP Classic does not have a proper intonation. Problem is that the saddle can't be moved more in the proper direction as it is already against the edge of the bridge. Also, the flat side of the saddle is already to the edge, so flipping the saddle won't help. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Cheers Mingsteen

Thanks for the replies. Changing brand and gauge of strings to me seem like the opposite way to tackle the problem. I play regular .009 Ernie Balls, not any exotic gauge (on the same amp as you use btw:) My other LP Standard DC doesn't have this problem with the same gauge and brand of strings used. Maybe theres a "wider" bridge i could order to fix the problem?

Raise or lower the bridge a touch' date=' depending on which way it's out. 'course you'll have to re-do the other strings.

[/quote']

+1 you can dial it in with no need of a new bridge but as stated, you will then need to reintonate all. also flipping the saddle usually works. I recommend a pro but if you are comfortable with it go for it

If flipping the saddle isn't the case>which it isn't always, it sounds like you need to check a range of things meaning that you may need to have a tech/ luthier check it to solve the problem to save you the trouble/ set it up correctly...of course at the expense of your pocket

cause a problem like that works in a web of things proportional to each other> from setting up the neck right, to adjusting action/ (saddle and stop bar) height to each other, all the way down to how you wind the strings on the tuning pegs (or even in you tuned it right by tuning tightening up or left the machine head gears loose by tuning going from sharp to flat) >cause all it takes is a feathers touch to throw a string out... or it very well may be a dead string as mentioned

But from what you say, it sounds like you just need to reset your bridge saddles and restring...a rule of thumb for your saddle when you reset is to hover near the middle in two sets of steps from low E to d, then g to high e shown in the link below....never fully pressed against the bridge cause it will slightly kill the string (its going from working on just the saddle/screw to the for mentioned plus the bridge body=not good).

http://www2.gibson.com/files/USA/LesPauls/Studio/LPSTFIGH_Les_Paul_Studio_HPbridge.jpg

After it is set up, don't use the 5th fret rule to tune it...use a tuner to fine tune the string open, then 12th fret and so on...if your sharp> the saddle needs to be moved back (away from the neck)....and if flat it needs to be moved towards the neck...and when open and 12th match up perfectly> the step and middle rule should come into play nicely...hope my bs ranting helps some> but if not, good luck bud!!!*b...

The D string on my LP Classic does not have a proper intonation. Problem is that the saddle can't be moved more in the proper direction as it is already against the edge of the bridge. Also' date=' the flat side of the saddle is already to the edge, so flipping the saddle won't help. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Cheers Mingsteen[/quote']

If it´s a new guitar, return it to where you bought it from. It has to be fixed by Gibson. If proper intonation is impossible, it´s faulty workmanship and covered by Gibsons warranty. If you don´t want to swap the guitar or if it´s an old one try different gauge strings. Most Gibsons are set up for .10 gauge. And maybe they´ll be okay for you as well.

If it´s equipped with an ABR 1 bridge it may also help to swap it for a Nashville T-O-M bridge. The Nashville would give you a little extra room for adjustment since it´s wider.

Greetings

Kurt

Thanks again for all the answers. I do play E flat, but imo that shouldn't be a problem, as it isn't a problem on all my other guitars. I check intonation only with fresh strings. As i had some fretbuzz i had to slightly heighten the bridge which did make the problem worse. Using a hybrid set (.009 - .046) so the lower strings are from a .010 set did not help either. Ill take a look at the Nashville T-O-M bridge; seems like the best option.

Cheers

Archived