Gibson Brands Forums

Its official.. Metallica dont care any more

Rabs

That's nothing.

Here's the ABBA "cover" in Stockholm:

It genuinely frightens me that they still sell out arenas. It speaks volumes for the concert-going public.

Is that the Greeny LP (actually not)... But either way HOW DARE HE... shameful... :)

Hard to imagine it's the same three guys who ended their Seattle gig in 1989 like this:

I still stand by my conviction that they were - easily - the best metal band in the world back then. That was a two-hour plus show, and I think maybe Bob Rock said it best when he produced the black album: he said he'd only ever recorded two drummers who MURDERED their kits, and they were Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich.

He also said Lars didn't so much keep time as play next TO the band (he mentioned Bonham), and I think he did it brilliantly back in the day.

Hot dog, how him and Kirk have fallen. I read a fairly recent interview where Hamett claims he's fallen back in love with the guitar as an instrument.

That's rich.

I mean, people buy ticket, so who am I to.. You know.

But the Metallica of today is nothing like the band back in the day. Mick Wall wrote a great book on them, pointing out how Lars had a master plan all along. Well, good for him. I could care less, if they still delivered the goods.

Hard to imagine it's the same three guys who ended their Seattle gig in 1989 like this:

I still stand by my conviction that they were - easily - the best metal band in the world back then. That was a two-hour plus show, and I think maybe Bob Rock said it best when he produced the black album: he said he'd only ever recorded two drummers who MURDERED their kits, and they were Tommy Lee and Lars Ulrich.

He also said Lars didn't so much keep time as play next TO the band (he mentioned Bonham), and I think he did it brilliantly back in the day.

Hot dog, how him and Kirk have fallen. I read a fairly recent interview where Hamett claims he's fallen back in love with the guitar as an instrument.

That's rich.

I mean, people buy ticket, so who am I to.. You know.

But the Metallica of today is nothing like the band back in the day. Mick Wall wrote a great book on them, pointing out how Lars had a master plan all along. Well, good for him. I could care less, if they still delivered the goods.

Yeah I agree.. I saw them like four times in the 90s during the Black album tour and always loved their shows.. As you say two hours plus and they gave it all they had... And after the Black album I totally lost interest.. Load was so so bad it put me off them for life (well album wise anyway, I still listen to the first four regularly).

I just thought if that was a tribute to Prince it was very very poor and not much of a tribute at all.. It sounded worse than my first college band, and that's saying something :) I know its meant to be a laugh section but it just sounds so awful and unprepared it seems a bit lazy to me..

Haha, yeah... "Load" was shocking at first. These days, I like "Hero of the day" and (shock, horror) "Mama said".

"No leaf clover" was excellent. Their last good song.

Yeah, I saw them on that tour too, and they were amazing. In my opinion, you haven't really lived if you didn't hear Hetfield playing rhythm guitar live on that tour (I was comfortably seated, unlike FZFan, so my ears didn't bleed).

I dug the symphony stuff. But after that... No.

No Leaf Clover:

Another thing I just do not fuggen get with Metallica is the Hammett ESP tone. He started playing them on "Justice", and is still playing them. And you can get yours for a mere 3-4k.

I don't get it. His Vs sounded great - much better than any- and everything he ever recorded with an ESP.

Nothing like a good Metallica bashing,

The apple of discord among metal fans.

I have seen them twice on this tour and have my ticket for the Nashville show. I grew up with them and the thrash era, before they took over the world.

No, they are not what they used to be, the enormous success of the (boring) black album just about killed them. I do however like Death Magnetic a lot and I wished they played more songs from that album live.

Those impromptu jams are nothing more than that, a small tribute, a small surprise, you either are OK with it or go grab a beer. I do not think they even play the full song.

I saw them in Atlanta last time and they killed it, they did put on a good show better than other aging bands of the same era.

Metallica sucks now. I really cannot stand to listen to anything they do or have done - and this includes everything all the way back to Kill 'em All. They are sellouts plain and simple. They are great to learn when starting to play guitar let's say, but after that, there exists way better metal music than these guys. I am not arguing about their undisputed commercial success and being the biggest metal band of their day, but now, they are just like WTF...

I don't care really. I liked Megadeth and Pantera way more then Metallica. I learned all their songs growing up learning to play guitar with my band mates from Kill 'em All to the Black album. And I dislike Bob Rock... That's when it really started to go wrong with me on this band. Saw the Year and a Half video when it came out and Bob seemed like a big fat ******. Again, commercial success doesn't equate to my appreciation. I received no part of the success. On the contrary, I contributed to it growing up. I was officially done after Load was released... Then Reload came out... I mean, there's "come" on the album cover. Yeah, that's real metal guys. Just a bunch of sellouts to me. I cringe every time I hear Lars's distinct sucking sounds on the drums. Sorry Metallica fans. My opinion may be scathing of them, but they let me (and my friends) down. Maybe James is still OK in my book, but Lars and Kirk can just leave the band.

Lars and Bob were on the same page back then. I used to work with an ADD guy who drank twenty cups of coffee a day, and Lars did a LOT of coke back then.

If anything, he was way more centered back then.

Then he stopped because Noel Gallagher stopped, and... Well, check out "The Making of Death Magnetic" on Youtube. I used to resent him for all the royalties he collection (he's never written a riff in his life), but he's a producer.

I mean, I would have strangled him before they even called Rick Rubin, but...

As far as Metallica goes, get a copy of Mick Wall's book. I remember him well from Kerrang!, and half of it I read back in the day.

It's a good read. There are a million Metallica bios, but from someone who was there back in the day... This is the only good one.

"We will never...ever...make...a video." - Lars Ulrich, about 1983 or so, 85 maybe.

rct

Every single day until the "One" video.

I'm pretty darn sure Lars had that video planned back in '81. As annoying as a lot of people find him, he's a very smart guy. Mick Wall said something to the effect of, he'd like you to think that he's this drunk punk rocker, but he knows exactly what he'll be doing in twenty years.

I liked Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets. Those were the albums that drove a lot of us to really work on our guitar skills. Lots of speed riffs and lots of fast chunking and down picking.

The Garage Days album was kind of fun. After that, they were kind of hit or miss with me. I may like a song or two from other albums. And Justice wasn't a bad album as far as the songs go but the sound of it kind of turned me off.

I saw them a few times in the early to mid 80's and a couple of times in the 90's. They were always good live and pretty tight when I saw them. Like them or not, they're good at what they do.

I liked Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets. Those were the albums that drove a lot of us to really work on our guitar skills. Lots of speed riffs and lots of fast chunking and down picking.

The Garage Days album was kind of fun. After that, they were kind of hit or miss with me. I may like a song or two from other albums. And Justice wasn't a bad album as far as the songs go but the sound of it kind of turned me off.

I saw them a few times in the early to mid 80's and a couple of times in the 90's. They were always good live and pretty tight when I saw them. Like them or not, they're good at what they do.

Kill 'Em All

THAT's their best album. [thumbup]

Kill 'em All - YEAH!!!

Ride the Lightning - YEAH!!!

Master of Puppets - F YEAH!!!!

Very unfortunate passing of Cliff (RIP)

Justice - YEAH!

Black Album - Yeah

4 years later...

Load - waaaht...

Reload - OK, I'm done...

Only took them how many more years later to SORT OF be like the metal madmen of the past with Death Magnetic. I don't even know that album that well really because I have been turned off for so many years it just didn't matter anymore.

To comment on Justice, I don't think there was a bass guitar recorder in that album. I think the bass of the distorted guitars was cranked up or something - that's according to what one of my friends claims I haven't confirmed - because when you crank this album, there are some parts where you hear the WUB in the speakers like the WUB that comes out of my guitar amp. And maybe I'm deaf, but I cannot hear one distinguishable bass guitar part in this album... Just to comment on MichaelT's input about the sound of this album. Regardless, there were some good tunes on this album. I just hate what happened to this band afterwards... But honestly, I cannot listen to this band anymore with the same inspiration I once had. I learned practically every song from the first major 5 albums and solos note for note. I used to always play along with these guys shouting out my CD player radio. Not just me, my friends that played guitars and drums and crap. It was like a standard to us. Once the release (haha) of Load came (Hahaha) out, and we had G1zz staring us in the face right out front on that awful album cover, after waiting 4 years from the black album, I was confused. The pain was beginning to set in...

There was bass recorded. Flemming Rasmussen said it was a stellar performance.

Then, according to Flemming, Lars told him to turn it down to "barely audible" and then "another 5 dB".

This is not verbatim, but Flemming, when Metallica got the Polar Prize, said Lars quipped "hey, what happened to the bass on 'Justice'?", and said "I almost clocked him, right there and then."

The performance is really bad, but then they are only messing around. The only Metallica album I didn't like was St. Anger. I don't think they have or need to care about anyone's opinions since they became millionaires years ago. One thing I find interesting is that a lot of guitarists I have known say how bad Kirk Hammett is, but then you say to them 'can you play me something like the solo for ...and Justice for All?' and they can't.

Yeah I do have mixed feelings when it comes to the aging rockers...

In one way they have all more than paid their dues and really should be able to do what they want now.. BUT what I saw in that video while I know was meant to be a laugh was just painful to the ears in every way.. I think they are both better than that and it wouldn't have taken much to make it from a seemingly spur of the moment jam in to something that's actually worth listening too or just isn't as crap.. let alone Kirks signature lack of any tone, it just all sounds terrible... And not really much of a tribute to Prince.

I kind of feel that way with Angus and AC/DC.. It seems obvious they are done without Malcolm.. YET if Angus wants to play more and feels he has more to give, who are we to say he cant..

I donno...

Archived