Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul PUP change

rjmarlowe

I have a 2007 Gibson Les Paul Classic '60 with the ceramic pups. I love the guitar but the pups are a little too hot for the style music I play. I find myself living on the neck pickup. I play in a Praise&Worship band. We play music from the likes of Lincoln Brewster, Hillsong, Kutless, Christ for the Nations, Switchfoot, etc... What pickups should I consider when I start my search? Thanks in advance for the help. God Bless.

I have an 07 Classic Antique, and it came with the 57 Classic in the neck and the 57 Classic + in the bridge. In my opinion, these are the nicest sounding humbucking pickups I have ever had, but I play mainly classic rock and some blues, and these pickups fit that style fine. This is the first guitar that I don't have the urge to change the pickups out.

Ray

I agree with Ray - the 57 Classic is designed for a warmer tone. The 57 Classic Plus has a higher output and might possibly be too hot for you. My cousin recently got a 61 SG reissue with a pair of 57 Classics and they sound great. At your local store/s, I recommend looking for Gibby's setup with one, the other or both types of the 57s and play them to see what you think.

You could get much closer to your taste if you're prepared to step outside the Gibson Box.

Check out Bare Knuckle Pickups, and from what appears to be your taste, their Stormy Mondays!

Remember you can also do a cap swap and pop in a 0.014 for the neck for a little more air.

They do have a website with stacks of soundbites and a forum, and you'd be surprised how many have their pickups in their Les Pauls. They are hand made the old way, as Gibson used to, and can make to suit.

Good Luck!

:D

Archived