Gibson Brands Forums

2019 SG STANDARD 3 Pickup Sideways Tremolo:Keep it? SEND IT BACK?

Wild Bill 212

OK, Fellow Player's.....I had wanted the 2019 SG STANDARD '61, but realized it is $500 more than the 2017 'SG' STANDARD I already have, it is the same Guitar but with the '61 Re-Issue Pick-Up's instead of the '57 Classic's in my '17 'Black-Beauty' that I paid $1299 for in March 2017.Based on that fact alone, I just could NOT buy that Guitar. So, I when I saw two EXCLUSIVE/LIMITED Run 'SG' STANDARD's available at an On-Line retailer, I decided I'd pick one of the two they have. One is the 2019 'SG' Standard 3 Pick-Up Sideways Tremolo 'Black-Beauty' in the spirit of Billy F. Gibbon's signature 'SG' STANDARD from 2015 or the 2019 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO Vibrola in Aged Cherry. BOTH GUITARS DROP DEAD BEAUTY's.

I picked the 2019 'SG' STANDARD 3 Pick-Up w/Sideways Tremolo as its the closest I can get to having a Signature Model GIBSON..... I got it this afternoon.The Guitar is Drop-Dead Beautiful. Gold hardware 'Black-Beauty'. I checked all of the measurements on the Guitar out of the box (one measurement is OFF, the LOW 'E' String Action @ 1ST Fret is just over 1/64TH, it is definitely NOT 2/64TH's) and after I raised the strings to standard tuning the Guitar was Intonated, spot on, and the relief was set @ .012" @ 7TH Fret via Notched-Straightedge. I closed the relief to .005" @ 7TH Fret and set the String action @ 12TH Fret to 5/64TH's Low 'E' and 3.5/64TH's High 'E' and the Guitar was still Intonated.

There does seem to be some tuning issue's with this Guitar, could the NUT being under 2/64TH's throw the notes off above say the 8TH Fret and towards the body ?...and I'd like to get some opinion's from other GIBSON VIBROLA owner's about: IF they had to do it over again, would you keep it or send it back? I thought I would give this one a shot as I have seen the right Reverand Billy F. Gibbons play one on 'Live @ DARRYL's House', "Li'L RED" is the name of Billy G's AXE and ever since I saw it I wanted one....but Tuning Issue's can be overwhelmingly negative as far as keeping a Guitar goes.....and I am nowhere near as well heeled as Billy Gibbon's is either....and this Guitar is about as close as I get to having a CUSTOM SHOP or SIGNATURE Series GIBSON.

I'd appreciate hearing from other GIBSON Vibrola owner's, especially any tips for keeping the Guitar in tune.

(one measurement is OFF, the LOW 'E' String Action @ 1ST Fret is just over 1/64TH, it is definitely NOT 2/64TH's)

Wait 1/64 = .015 which is where every one of my Gibsons was set at from the factory. I actually re-cut the nut as soon as I get it to take the low E down to 0.012 at the first fret and never have any sort of tuning issues. 2/64 or 1/32 is .031 which seems extremely high for a first fret action.

Wait 1/64 = .015 which is where every one of my Gibsons was set at from the factory. I actually re-cut the nut as soon as I get it to take the low E down to 0.012 at the first fret and never have any sort of tuning issues. 2/64 or 1/32 is .031 which seems extremely high for a first fret action.

You are correct in your measurements, 1/64TH = .015"/.016". GIBSON's published spec's are 2/64TH's(.031"/.032") Bass Side Low 'E' and 'A' strings, 1.5/64TH's (.024"/.025") 'A' & 'D' Strings and 1/64TH (.015"/.016") HIGH 'E'. The only critical string action height being the 1/64TH @ 1ST Fret on HIGH 'E' because if it is say, half that, .5/64TH's or .008" and a Player tries to close the NECK RELIEF under .006" @ 7TH Fret, the HIGH 'E' String will hit the 1st Fret and the Guitar will be unplayable. and believe me, I KNOW THIS, as I just sent a Les Paul Standard back and had a new NUT put on as a Warranty repair. The NUT was cut to .007"/.5/64TH's String Action @ 1ST Fret on the HIGH 'E' and when I went to set the NECK RELIEF @ .005" the HIGH 'E' hit the 1ST Fret.

NOW, it is true, 2/64TH's/.032" is a bit high for a LOW 'E' String to be set at,IDK about 'EXTREME' but OK sure, but it is also the published GIBSON spec.. NOW, 'OUT-OF-THE-FACTORY' you will not find many set-up like this. Although my new 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' is set exactly @ 2/64TH's Low 'E' and 1/64TH's HIGH 'E' and I am keeping it like that. I will be a long time before the Guitar needs to have the TEKTOID NUT changed.

AGAIN, the only crucial String Action Minimum Height on any Gibson Electric Guitar is the Treble Side/HIGH 'E', and that is for NECK RELIEF purpose's as well as how long the Guitar will be played for before it needs a new NUT, all other String Actiion Heights are personal preferences.

The GIBSON USA Models I have purchase since 2016, 6 of them, 2 had what I would call properly cut NUTs. 5 had what I would call 'Acceptable'y cut NUT's. 1 went back as UNACCEPTABLE as described above. My 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' and a 2017 'SG'STANDARD, were both cut to the GIBSON published specs of 2/64TH's LOW 'E' and 1/64TH HIGH 'E' EXACTLY. Three of the other 4, had NUTs cut to 1/64TH HIGH 'E' side and somewhere between 1/64TH & 2/64TH's on the LOW 'E', which are acceptable enough settings and I had no complaints. HOWEVER, the 2017 Les Paul STANDARD NUT had String action measurements @ 1ST Fret of .5/64TH HIGH 'E' and 1.4/64TH's LOW 'E' (which is OK) and I sent it back to SWEEWATER who replaced it with a properly cut BONE NUT.

by the time you get down to the 8th fret which is pretty close to half way on the neck.. the nut will have little effect on tuning between the 8th and bridge saddle.

if anything ..

you're pushing too hard on the string and pulling the vibrato unit out of tune.

I appreciate that, so its not the NUT, which I figured as a long shot as far as a root cause. As far as pressing down to firmly, IDK, I have Bigsby's and Les Trem Guitars that stay in tune just fine with the way I play.

IDK, but from what I hear the Vibrola is just a bad design and doesn't stay in tune no matter what a player doees: Self-Locking Strings technique, Locking Nuts, String Butler's ect etc... BUT THANKFULLY, I have met a guy that has a FIX for it that LOCKS' the Tremolo arm and gets the Vibrola to act as a STOP-Tail while also improving the Break Angle beteen Bridge and Tremolo, its reversible too. He is working on bringing it to market and I am actually sending him pics of mine as I type this.

I have purchased this Guitar for its looks, not necessarily the Vibrola, it has a limited function anyway, no DIVEBOMBING and good for Chord Shimmering only. So locking it will not be a big deal. BUT, it has simply got to be able to stay in tune OR I have no choice but to send it back.

2019 ???

Post a picture, there is a mistake, may be 2013 or 2014.

NO mistake, but if you want to see it, go to American Music Supply (ams.com) and put 2019 GIBSON SG STANDARD in the search bar, the 2019 'SG' Standard w/Sideways Vibrola will apeear in the search results, selling for $1,999 w/Free 2-Day Shipping, click on it and you will see the specs of this Exclusive Run for AMS ONLY Guitar. According to AMS phone reps GIBSON USA has made only 75 of these and 75 of the MAESTRO Vibrola's and that is exactly why I bought it. 'Sg' Standards are a dime a dozen(or should I say COMMON and $1500 a piece?), but 'SG' Standards like this one are few and far between, kind of a rarity .....

Posting pics here is an ART I have yet to master OR is it more like a PAIN IN THE *** that I am incapable of or really do not care enough to waste my time figuring out? IDK, but It should be Highlight, Click, Copy, Point, Paste, click, done. BUT NO, that would make to much sense.

2019 ???

Post a picture, there is a mistake, may be 2013 or 2014.

Bro, Here is a link, that is as good as I can do, posting pics on this web-site is the likes of which I have never seen. It is nothing short of Assinine really.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42327422@N07/?

YES, it works too, if you like.......copy and paste that link into your search bar, click on it, and you will see my 2019 'SG' STANDARD W/Sideways Vibrola, 1994 NIGHTHAWK STANDARD ST-3 as well as my 2018 EXPLORER 'ELITE' and 2017 'SG' STANDARD.....all of which are BAD-A$$, and only one of which doesn't stay in tune.

On the Gibson web site the most recent listing for an SGS3 is a 2015,but that doesn't mean they don't have a 2019...

SGS315EBGT1-Hero.jpg

YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR. I wish I could get you a Cigar !! I saw that advertisement and that is why when I saw the same Guitar @ American Musical Supply dot com for $600 less, I GRABBED IT !!!

U know, I changed the strings and stretched the $#!T out of them, and chords are ALMOST staying in tune, but leads, not so much...I am really hoping the Guy that has made the STOP-LOCK for the early 60's Sideways Tremolo's comes through for this one, He seems optimistic when we spoke today. I'd really like to keep this Guitar.

BTW, Billy Gibbon's also has a Sideway's Tremolo Signature model too...it might be the 2019 model year, IDK as I have only seen it once.It has a TEXAS Shaped Control Cavity Cover,'SG' body and a FLYING 'V' HEAD-STOCK and a Weird looking Cap that is cut-out near the controls.....and there is also 'Lil Red'....

The Tremolo Arm in mine is just about touching the Top Tone Knob and actually does if I do not move it away, there is not much I can do about it as there is a Center-Block underneath the mechanism that pretty much determines where it is going to stay on the Guitar.

On the Gibson web site the most recent listing for an SGS3 is a 2015,but that doesn't mean they don't have a 2019...

SGS315EBGT1-Hero.jpg

The serial number would reflect the date of manufacture..

Hello MihcMac, I have sent the Guitar back to the On-Line retailer I got it from. The Guitars Fret-board has/had 'DRY ROT' or some sort of dryness in the fretboard which caused a couple of really thin triangular 'FLAKES' to come off of the Fret-Board at the 1st & 2nd Fret, ICFBI !!! BUT I took the Guitar to an Authorized GIBSON SVC CENTER and The Luthier there pointed out that the Fret-Board was way to dried out and discoloured but could be oiled back to health, BUT the 'FLAKES' that had already come off of the Guitar made the Guitar unacceptable,

This was right after he said he thought the Center-Block height/placement and everything else concerning the condition of the Guitar was EXCELLENT, its too bad as I had taken the time to set the Guitar up the way I wanted it to play and I had seen the 'FLAKES' and thought they were no big deal, BUT this Man said the Guitar had to go back......

.....SO BACK IT WENT and I await its "replacement" ! It should arrive early next week. These Guitars are BAD-A$$ looking and sounding and are EXACTLY what I was waiting for GIBSON USA to issue as I can not afford CUSTOM SHOP GIBSON's or Signature Series GIBSON's, u kno? GIBSON STANDARD's is as good as it gets for a Guy like me...and GIBSON USA has not offered this Guitar ('SGS3' w/Sideways Tremolo) since 2015 when it was $2599 and I am getting mine for $1999, so I am pretty Jazzed about getting the replacement .It has been suggested that I should use Heavier Gauge Strings .52-.11's to help the Guitar stay in tune until I can get a locking mechanism ala Billy Gibbons 'Li'l Red'. I cant wait !!!

Archived