Gibson Brands Forums

Why not allow customization?

randzman

If you're hurting for bucks why not simply allow for customization?

For $250 more let me choose from a dozen colors.

For $500 let me choose any color and pickups that fit.

AND FOR -$750 let me buy a Gibson LP without electronics!

(And obviously the guarantee would reflect that.)

Do it like Warmoth ... why not ... adapt or die.

If you're hurting for bucks why not simply allow for customization?

For $250 more let me choose from a dozen colors.

For $500 let me choose any color and pickups that fit.

AND FOR -$750 let me buy a Gibson LP without electronics!

(And obviously the guarantee would reflect that.)

Do it like Warmoth ... why not ... adapt or die.

$750 allowance for electronics is mighty generous on their part. i doubt you'd see half that. after that, the following is just my opinion, worth what i charge for it:

i don't think it's a bad idea per say - BUT... the reason they'll never do it is because it's 180° to their current branding. doing so would be a major u-turn for their marketing strategies, and would essentially mean re-imagining their image, and what they represent. it would probably also have big repercussions on the collector market, and used market as well. it would be a paradigm shift for the guitar world. the way their branding currently works, such a guitar would be ridiculously expensive, even for them. that way the only reason not to go to a private luthier and have your guitar made, is because you'd rather hire gibson to do it. for the same reason one might buy a harley or wear louis vitton. i don't say that as a knock, although it's not very rock and roll. they are entitled to carry out their vision as they see fit. it's up to the individual to decide if the product checks the appropriate boxes in their heart.

that said, if it were not such a cost issue for me, i would find the idea very attractive. to get a les paul or a 335 spec'd out to my liking would be totally boss.

how about if i wanted a black cherry fade modern weight relieved les paul, with a highly figured AAAA top, white binding on the body and headstock, modern 60's neck w/ hp neck heel, black ebony board with block inlays, stainless frets, all gold hardware, 57 classics, no push pull anything, locking tuners, graphite nut, no pickguard, black speed knobs. i could never afford what they would charge but it's fun to dream

Gibson's Made 2 Measure program is actually pretty reasonably priced, and they'll do almost anything in terms of customization whether you go modern, vintage, or like to mix it up.

This is correct. Plus, the guitar would be made in the Custom Shop. But actually, I think it would be a good idea for Gibson USA to offer this as well, why not?

Archived