Gibson Brands Forums

What vocal mics are the singers out there using live?

Jinder

I use the SM58 also. For around $90 or so, it's a good deal. I'm not The Stones or Dylan and the Shure works well for me. Music gear, just like the actual instrument, is a very personal thing. You use what you are comfortable with. At wineries and coffeehouses, I don't think the listeners would notice the different nuances between the Shure and a mic that is more expensive. There are definitely top notch professional mics out there if one is willing to spend the bucks. You have to decide if the differences between good, better, and best are worth the price. Unless you've got a really cheapy mic, most audiences won't discern or care about the differences.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Senheiser 835 with the TC Helicon Play Acoustic. It does wonders for the the J 45 and on the voice side I use a couple of the Harmonies for Chorus's. I agree with you too that TC has some of the best reverbs out there.

I also use Onsong with my IPAD and I can add patches or pads for each song by key.

My Sennheiser 865 is an exceptional mic for relatively little money, but I’ve also used 58s (standard and Beta) and an AKG D7 to great effect over the years.

The SM58 and Beta 58 are very different mics. I’ve never got along with the Beta 58 as the capsule seems to have a mild compression aspect which doesn’t suit my voice, but I know singers who swear by them. I worked as TM for Billy Bragg for several years and he won’t use anything except his own Beta 58. The standard 58 was my go-to live mic for 17yrs though, and I still put one on my tech spec for gigs I have to fly to. They always sound great and have a predictable, comfortable dynamic envelope which pleases me immensely as a vocalist.

I chuckled about your comment about my money, Murph...at present my bank balance is 17p!

I’m lucky to have a collection of lovely instruments, but I have no money to speak of beyond brass tacks to pay bills and child maintenance. Once I sorted out the trail of debt that came with the end of my marriage 2 1/2yrs ago, I decided to treat my guitar collection as my savings account. Whenever I’ve had any unexpected income from work, an inheritance, airplay royalties or my songs being recorded by other artists, I’ve invested it in an instrument or piece of gear. Working assets that are beautiful to own, earn their keep and won’t depreciate too much.

The only other passion that swallows my earnings is the nearly-30yrs old Volvo 740 saloon that I’ve been restoring for the last year...cheap to buy, but has been ruinously expensive to bring back to her former glory, especially as I tend to be irritatingly perfectionistic about things!

Youve hit the nail on the head Jinder with a realistic and transparent description of the 'professional' musician. Its a very similar story here in Prague, which has a lively music scene, and beyond the Czechs there are quite a few UK and US musicians who make their money entirely from music. Almost all of them are in a similar situaiton, hitchec up with a Czech girl, now paying for child maninanance and trying to keep their head above water. Its really tough for them, but luckily they still all love what they do.

But the smart ones also diversified into production, jingle writing and mixing sound for touring bands.

I have full respect for these guys, its real commitment to their craft, personally I could never make the leap to full time work as a musician (even if i had the talent) and Im happy to slowly develop as an amateur, its a life long journey.

All the best with it mate !

Archived