Gibson Brands Forums

What amp do you use?/Amp Suggestions?

phil325

I was just wonderin what kind of amps you all use for gigging or even just home/bedroom practice?

I've been lookin around for a practical tube amp and so far i'm lookin at a fender champion 600 since i live in an apartment with roommates, neighbors, etc. if you've owned one or do own one let me know what you think about it :D

I used a Reverend Hellhound for a while, but I really couldn't get much for clean sounds out of it.

Now I have a Epiphone Valvle Jr v3 head and a vintage Marshall 4x10 that sounds pretty good.

I'm looking into a Emery Superbaby - hoping it will be the amp I have always been looking for. (sound clips certainly are)

Vox Cambridge 15 is a great "practice" amp. It has a Celestion speaker and a valve in it, with gain, treb, bass, trem depth, trem speed controls and a gainboost & midboost option.

For the real deal i use a Marshall 2555SL (Slash Signature / Jubilee remake) for a great organic tone.

No tube amp will be quiet enough for an apartment. I bought a 5 watter that I had to keep way down. I used a little toy Fender that did fine for me. Now that I have a house, I get to use my Fender Pro Jr. 15 watts, very nice. Bluesman Monster Mike Welch says they're the best amp under $500. Wilco's Nels Cline loves em for recording. Then I bought a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 60 watt 2-12s and I love it. Very loud. I've seen 1/4 watt tube amps on some websites but have never heard one. Here is me and my plastic battery operated fender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xD3_FVuZBU&feature=channel_page

I have a Fender Champion 600 in my apartment and no one EVER complained about it. And I'm talking about a champion with good tubes (the stock ones suck) a Gibson SG and a monster booster pedal. It's LOUD - even if we are talking about a 5w tube amp.

Guess I have great neighbours.

I have a 40w Fender Bassman Handwired copy but that's way too much for the neighbours to bear. So I play mostly with some kind of power attenuator.

I have a Fender Champion 600 in my apartment and no one EVER complained about it. And I'm talking about a champion with good tubes (the stock ones suck) a Gibson SG and a monster booster pedal. It's LOUD - even if we are talking about a 5w tube amp.

Guess I have great neighbours.

I have a 40w Fender Bassman Handwired copy but that's way too much for the neighbours to bear. So I play mostly with some kind of power attenuator.

What tubes did you replace it with if you don't mind me asking?

"... just home/bedroom practice?"

I was looking for a good practice/bedroom setup for a long time. I tried a Line6 Flextone, a VAmp2 (I still use this), a Marshall Lead 12 ministack and a valve jr. The valve Jr sounds very good when it was turned all the way up, which then was way too loud. I looked around and I narrow my options to Z Vex nanohead (http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html) and Rock Block (http://www.surprisesoundlab.com/index.html), both of which are less than 1 W. I bought a Rock Block amp and I have it hooked it up to the two 1x10" speaker cabs that originally came with my Lead 12. I am happy with the setup. I can turn all the way up without disturbing everybody else too much (it is pretty loud though...)

Sorry I'm late... got out of town for a little 4 day vacation and to celebrate my birthday (the 22nd)...

I use a VOX ac30 cc2x... great amp' date=' specially for clean tones... for OD I use pedals in front of it and it delivers, even with high gain pedals for metal.[/quote']

Happy birthday, dude!

If you want stadium sound at bedroom levels, get the Emery Sounds Microbaby. It has 1 watt and you can put a whole slew of different tubes in it for your sound. Handmade by order in USA by Curt Emery himself.

You can google microbaby youtube and hear one. On Emery's website, read the reviews, Steve Miller gives a rave one.

Don't order one right away, I don't want prices to go up before I get my Superbaby.

Another Epiphone Valve Junior Halfstack user here. Cheap enough for my budget, loud enough to practice with my brother (a LOUD drummer), sounds awesome and looks awesome. My first tube amp (and third amp after my first ever shitty Yamaha practice amp I ruined and a Line 6 modeling amp I still have)

I use my Marshall TSL 100 with VPR depressed (which is still loud) and I turn the volume to 1 or 2. I know that I'm not getting the breakup I would get from an attenuator. Those 4 speakers in my cab sound awesome even w/o the attenuator. Sometimes I crank the amp & turn down the volume on my LP.

My wife has been very cool about the amp and loves it's sound so much, she wants me to pick up a Marshall tube combo for Reese when we have the money.

I have a few amps for different things. I do love my Epiphone valve junior loads it had to be said. For crystal clear cleans and versatility the Peavey JSX head is just what the doctor ordered. The EQing can emulate just about any Guitarist's sound.

My favourite practice amp is the Laney VC-15. It is all valve (like the above) and can sound very sweet as can be and also damn right dirty!

Matt

135 watt Fender Twin for bigger places, and a Champion 600 for goofing around at home.

You can't really rely on one amp for all the sounds you will want. I have three, and actually would like to have about ten more.

Archived