Gibson Brands Forums

What amp do you use?/Amp Suggestions?

phil325

Fender Blues Jr. NOS...ton of clean headroom. i just stick a Fulltone OCD in front of it to get that great crunch. At least once a week--when the wife and kids are out of the house--I push her to that natural tube crunch. I have to say, though, the OCD does a pretty good job of replicating that sound. The natural crunch is just a tad warmer.

Orange TinyTerror... not exactly apartment friendly but I run it through a hotplate :-$

I dig the Tiny Terror as well...nice sounding amp. Funny thing though, I was on youtube recently looking at the Orange Amplification section and was checking out the various clips they have. On the one for the Tiny Terror they mentioned two things that I found both funny as somewhat embarrassing (for them and the presenters):

1) Apparently the amp is "lighter than many handbags"

2) Apparently the amp "comes with it's own purse for carrying"

I can't say either highlight would sway me into a purchase...yikes.

Still, pretty sweet sounding amp!

For the house I have a solid state Marshall 50 W 12. I cant recall the model #, it was made in the late 80s-early 90s. Some nice features, but the reverb sounds like crap.

Main amp is a Fender DeVille 212 60 W all tube. Its pretty stripped with a simple clean and gain channel, but you can get alot of great sounds by just messing with the settings. The reverb sounds great. It has an overdrive channel that I dont really mess with, but very nice tubey cleans. The down side is that I would blow the doors off the house if I ever turned it up past 3 (goes to 12).

Hey SilverLesterStd,

Is your axe the GC/MF 2007 limited edition silver burst? I was inches from buying one, and decided on the blone beauty. They both rocked, but the blonde was several hundred $$ cheaper. Thats a great friggin' guitar, man.

I dig the Tiny Terror as well...nice sounding amp. Funny thing though' date=' I was on youtube recently looking at the Orange Amplification section and was checking out the various clips they have. On the one for the Tiny Terror they mentioned two things that I found both funny as somewhat embarrassing (for them and the presenters):

1) Apparently the amp is "lighter than many handbags"

2) Apparently the amp "comes with it's own purse for carrying"

I can't say either highlight would sway me into a purchase...yikes.

Still, pretty sweet sounding amp! [/quote']

OWN CARRYING PURSE??? HOT DAMN I'M SOLD! haha yea i've heard tiny terrors on youtube and they sound great. i'd want one but i would want to try it out first in person. and since there are not that many orange amp dealers around here then what can i do but wait for the random opportunity to come about

Fender Blues Junior Limited Edition relic'd tweed with Jensen Speaker, and Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

Both these amps produce sweet sounding overdrive at moderate volumes, great clean tones with my LPS and SG.

The HRD was bought new, so needed to be broken in for a while before it started to sounding real good. Both amps sound different - the BJ uses EL84 power tubes and HRD uses 6L6's.

I split my signal into a Soldano HR50+ and a customized Epiphone Valve Junior "Custom 7". these two are connected to my mesa recto 4x12 (Vintage 30s) - one to the right and one to the left (it is a stereo cab). BTW I also run a Maxon OD820 overdrive. This is one hell of a pedal guys.

The Custom 7 was done by a guy out in San Diego named Randy Bemis...the amp and mod cost me around $500 and it was the best money I've spent on gear (excluding my Les Pauls). This is no $500 amp, Once I heard it I would have paid almost anythingfor it. It basically has one type of tone but it does this amazingly well for rock/hard rock. The overdrive is very smooth and in my view it is the best tone I've heard. It gets pretty saturated as you turn it up and the amp is loud enough for a practice/jam unless you play really loud, and sounds great at low volume, and sounds fantastic mic'd.

The soldano covers more ground though and more volume when i need it and the overdrive section is the same as that of the Soldano SLO 100 which sings. It compliments the VJ nicely.

I used to go through lots of gear in my quest to find my tone but now I'm super happy so hopefully my info helps.

I mainly use either my Blackheart Little Giant half stack, or my Marshall AVT20.

I also have a Fender 30 1-12 all tube combo from 1980. These amps were only made in 80 and 81, and not very many were made. Sweet, sweet Fender tone with an foot switchable gain channel, and push/pull option on the volume, gain, and all the EQ controlls. It doesn't get much use though, I was even thinking of maybe selling it and getting another LP. We'll see.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one, but for home use the Fender G-Dec is a killer. It's a modeling amp with your typical useless presets, however, you can tweak in virtually any tone you can dream up. Search You Tube for Eric Johnson's demo of the thing, sounds just like his stage rig. I got a blem from MF a coulpe years ago and use it all the time when I don't want to bug the neighbors. Blackface, tweed, marshall tones, all in the box. No tubes to service, either. I have this thing about burning up old stock tubes in an amp that I'm reigning in with an attenuator.....

I was just wonderin what kind of amps you all use for gigging or even just home/bedroom practice?

For quiet home/bedroom practice:

Korg Toneworks Pandora PX5D/headphones. Amazing practice tool

Pod XT/headphones

Amps:

Atomic Research 18-watt (works with a Pod XT) (www.atomicamps.com)

EVJr head and 4x10 cab

Carvin Belair with Stage II Hasserl mods and "attitude mod", Vin30's

'89 Carvin XV112B (100 W EL34's)

Carvin TS-100 stereo tube power amp (EL34's) with a pair of stereo 2x12's

etc., etc.

Honestly, the Pod XT gets the most use of anything; recording, bedroom, small gig, large gig...

I know it's heresy, but there is a benefit to solid state modeling amps since they will give you some overdriven tones at bedroom or apartment levels. Tube amps just don't do that unless they're hot and cranking. Having said that, you might be able to get away with a Fender Blues Jr. or any amp that's touted as a good "practice" or "studio" amp. Try the Blues Jr. or Pro Jr. (quieter with a smaller speaker) or the Champ alongside the GDec and the hybrid tube/digital modeling champ models.

Fender 57 Twin reissue. Very nice, clean.

For breaking up the tone, a tube screamer and a volume pedal.

For guitars - 2001 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe - goldtop

2000 Gibson Les Paul Standard - honeyburst - curly maple

2008 Gibson ES 335 - cherry dot - figured top

1995 Fender Am. Standard Strat - mod.

In the winter, because of the extreme cold in Calgary, I also use

a LINE6 AX212 with foot board.

Next guitar - 59 Les Paul VOS.

Hard to sneak past wife.

Well the best combo amp I've come across for home use would be the Carr Mercury. This is out of your price range, however. In the sub $500 range I think it would behoove you to check out Epiphone's Blues Custom 30. It is large and heavy but you can bring it down in dB's and get a real nice tone out of her. She operates in Class A @ 15 watts or you can flick a switch for 30 watts in Pentode mode. It is versatile amp and very inexpensive for what she brings to the table. I paid $425 for mine brand new out of the box! And when you feel the need to crank it those 15 watts are more than adequate!

My Amps: Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Fender Bassman, Fender Twin, Fender Vibroverb, Fender Blues Deluxe, Carr Mercury

amps.jpg?t=1235831990

Archived