Gibson Brands Forums

2019 Les Paul Tributes...Gibson, we have a problem

BenderOfStrings

On 9/13/2018 at 10:54 AM, BenderOfStrings said:

I'm not talking about ES guitars I'm talking about Les Pauls. The trapezoid is one of the trademarks of the Les Paul design. The only exception should be the block inlay on the Custom Deluxe.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, BenderOfStrings said:

LOL I sure hope you're not a Gibson representative. Because if Gibson thinks an 1,100.00 guitar is a "budget" guitar then they are more out of touch than I realized. NO guitar that costs north of a grand should be called a budget guitar...ever!

Okay, you don't like the word budget, so you want to ignore the point altogether.  Would you like to pick another word for "less expensive" and stay on topic? 

And speaking of words,  the trapezoid is not a trademark.   I can only guess you mean hallmark.   And even your "rules" apparently allow *you* to make exceptions.     No, I don't work for Gibson, but it is not too hard to see what they are doing.  And it just isn't what they should be doing according to you.  These forums are full of differing opinions of what Gibson should do (offered as facts, not opinions),   Everybody is an expert and few seem to realize their opinions *are* different, and Gibson couldn't do them all even if they were inclined to.

Sorry I havent read the whole thing ,but I just picked up a 2019 LP Tribute . I actually just bought it yesterday. Ive been through some LPs and 6 month ago let go of my Classic because it weighed almost 12 lbs and aggravated my pinched nerve in my neck. Ive been using my 335 as my lightweight Gibson option , but sometimes miss the LP body shape. Im not usually one to buy budget guitars , but this one caught my attention with the weight being less than 7 3/4 lbs. Also , yes it has Trapezoids . The thing came set up out of the box great without the nut binding that I have become accustomed to with many Gibsons I have owned. Fretwork was great and the build quality is great without any flaws. Love the pickups and the maple neck isnt an issue for me at all . I really like the feel of this . Loved the Rounded C neck as well. Much better feeling guitar than the Faded LP IMO. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm living on SS so thought that I'd never be able to afford a real Gibson unless used.  Saw many advertised but don't really know enough to buy a used guitar in the price range most were listed for.

Guitar Center showed the Les Paul Studio Tribute 2019 and I watched it for months.  The price got down to $929 (from $1200) and on a whim in June I called and talked with a sales rep.  He said yes I would get the 10% Veteran discount and they probably didn't have any new ones but a few stores showed more than one and a couple might still be new-in-the-box.  I ordered one and he attached a note to the order stating that I wanted a new one if possible.  They only had the Satin Iced Tea Burst left in stock but I like that finish.

The virus slowed things down as many stores were closed while I anxiously awaited word of what guitar I'd be getting.  I called to check the order about a week later and was told that there were no new ones left and I could cancel if I wanted.   The rep told me that many open-box guitars are like new, especially those hanging on the top rows where it takes a tall ladder to reach.  I decided to wait and see what I got, I could always return it if not happy.

I prepared myself for the worst when I drove to the store to pick up the guitar I had shipped in.  A generic box with no Gibson logo told me it wasn't new but I was speechless to find that my guitar was flawless and beautiful.  Not a scratch or mark on it, not even a pick mark on the plastic protecting the pickguard.  Came in the soft case with all the goodies including the bench pic, wow it is nicer than I'd dreamed!

I've had it a couple of weeks now and it is fantastic.  I have a dozen guitars to compare it to (no Gibson but Fender, Gretsch, G&L, Epi and Squier) and the build quality and fit and finish and fretwork are as good as the best I own, it is perfect.  It is a joy just to hold it in my hands and I love just looking at it.  But it also plays great and sounds fantastic!

Some here wouldn't like the dot inlays or satin finish or 490 pickups but I love it and it is still a real US made Les Paul with mahogany body and carved maple top.  The satin finish neck feels smooth and fast and I like the maple, it is likely stronger than mahogany and the headstock may not break so easily.  The body has been weight relieved and it hangs more like a Strat or Tele than my full-body Epi LP.  And it still rings forever, the sustain is amazing.

To sum it up this is a fantastic guitar for not much money and I recommend it highly.  I got mine for a great price ($831!!) and feel lucky to have found it.  Performance has always mattered more than looks or style so this model is perfect for me.  It's not got the expensive bells and whistles that add cost but the basics and heart are there and I can upgrade the pickups and electronics and tuners if I want.

These are still shown on the GC website today if someone wants one.  Hard to tell the condition you might get but maybe it's worth a shot.

Gibson Les Paul 3.jpg

Edited by Randy99CL

On 7/3/2020 at 3:56 AM, Randy99CL said:

I'm living on SS so thought that I'd never be able to afford a real Gibson unless used.  Saw many advertised but don't really know enough to buy a used guitar in the price range most were listed for.

Guitar Center showed the Les Paul Studio Tribute 2019 and I watched it for months.  The price got down to $929 (from $1200) and on a whim in June I called and talked with a sales rep.  He said yes I would get the 10% Veteran discount and they probably didn't have any new ones but a few stores showed more than one and a couple might still be new-in-the-box.  I ordered one and he attached a note to the order stating that I wanted a new one if possible.  They only had the Satin Iced Tea Burst left in stock but I like that finish.

The virus slowed things down as many stores were closed while I anxiously awaited word of what guitar I'd be getting.  I called to check the order about a week later and was told that there were no new ones left and I could cancel if I wanted.   The rep told me that many open-box guitars are like new, especially those hanging on the top rows where it takes a tall ladder to reach.  I decided to wait and see what I got, I could always return it if not happy.

I prepared myself for the worst when I drove to the store to pick up the guitar I had shipped in.  A generic box with no Gibson logo told me it wasn't new but I was speechless to find that my guitar was flawless and beautiful.  Not a scratch or mark on it, not even a pick mark on the plastic protecting the pickguard.  Came in the soft case with all the goodies including the bench pic, wow it is nicer than I'd dreamed!

I've had it a couple of weeks now and it is fantastic.  I have a dozen guitars to compare it to (no Gibson but Fender, Gretsch, G&L, Epi and Squier) and the build quality and fit and finish and fretwork are as good as the best I own, it is perfect.  It is a joy just to hold it in my hands and I love just looking at it.  But it also plays great and sounds fantastic!

Some here wouldn't like the dot inlays or satin finish or 490 pickups but I love it and it is still a real US made Les Paul with mahogany body and carved maple top.  The satin finish neck feels smooth and fast and I like the maple, it is likely stronger than mahogany and the headstock may not break so easily.  The body has been weight relieved and it hangs more like a Strat or Tele than my full-body Epi LP.  And it still rings forever, the sustain is amazing.

To sum it up this is a fantastic guitar for not much money and I recommend it highly.  I got mine for a great price ($831!!) and feel lucky to have found it.  Performance has always mattered more than looks or style so this model is perfect for me.  It's not got the expensive bells and whistles that add cost but the basics and heart are there and I can upgrade the pickups and electronics and tuners if I want.

These are still shown on the GC website today if someone wants one.  Hard to tell the condition you might get but maybe it's worth a shot.

Gibson Les Paul 3.jpg

Hi Randy,

That is a very appealing good looking LP. I much prefer un-figured grain for tops. Glad you are enjoying it. 

It would probably have been better to has started a new NGD thread rather than resurrect a 2018 one, but I suppose you found this on a search?

Congrats on the Tribute and thanks for the GC info.

• 2 years later...

I'm really really late 2 the party here but Google showed up this thread. Apologies. 

My wife bought me a 2019 Les Paul tribute 2 years ago.

Great looking and sounding guitar but easily the worst guitar I own.  And I own some $200 Chinese guitars and a Squier Strat. 

My Les Paul tribute needs the bridge JACKED up almost as high as she goes or she has major fret buzz everywhere. 

The tailpiece even when jacked as high as it goes needs the angle on the strings to be so steep that the strings cut HARD into the rear edge of the bridge.

Also the electronics are garbage.

When plugged into my amp the thing has 60 cycle hum LIKE CRAZY . All my other guitars are dead silent thru the same rig so it's not my cables/amp.

And to top it off when you touch the cavity covers while playing you get lots of loud static crackles and pops thru the amplifier. 

Worst guitar gear disappointment of my life.

Waited like 40 years to get a " real" Gibson Les Paul and I sincerely wish I had stuck with Squier as my Squier is 100x better than my Gibson POS.

Sorry 4 the rant but my wife paid $1500 For a guitar that easily gets it's *** handed to it by Korean copies costing under $300.

Never buying a Gibson again.

That's unfortunate that you got a guitar with so many problems. You've had it a couple years? Did you reach out to Gibson or the store where it was bought? Seems like those are things that could have been dealt with under warranty if you had made yourself heard.

The way you're describing the buzzing, the first thing I would be looking for is an improperly adjusted truss rod, specifically too tight. If that's the case, and there aren't any actual problems with the neck wood or defective truss rod, it could be adjusted easily, either by yourself or any decent technician.

As to the buzzing, you're right, it shouldn't do that. I would be looking for a (lack of) ground. The cracking and popping when you touch the cavity covers sounds like static from the vinyl material. I go through that with my Telecaster all the time and a simple fix is to rub a dryer sheet on the vinyl.

I have a tribute les paul which i love so much  and  i also think that the dot inlays   are much better than the trapezoid ones , indeed   i don't know why Gibson makes Firebirds  with trapezoid inlays  ,they are horrible to say the least  i just love  my own 64 firebird III with dots  in it !      

12 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

That's unfortunate that you got a guitar with so many problems. You've had it a couple years? Did you reach out to Gibson or the store where it was bought? Seems like those are things that could have been dealt with under warranty if you had made yourself heard.

The way you're describing the buzzing, the first thing I would be looking for is an improperly adjusted truss rod, specifically too tight. If that's the case, and there aren't any actual problems with the neck wood or defective truss rod, it could be adjusted easily, either by yourself or any decent technician.

As to the buzzing, you're right, it shouldn't do that. I would be looking for a (lack of) ground. The cracking and popping when you touch the cavity covers sounds like static from the vinyl material. I go through that with my Telecaster all the time and a simple fix is to rub a dryer sheet on the vinyl.

I had it back to the store ( long and Mcquade). Their tech said static was normal and they all did that. 

I've had it set up professionally 3x now.

The last time I paid large cash for a custom builder to give it a look.

He got the action down a tad but it's still * almost* slide guitar height.

Apparently he figures the neck angle is wrong as fret  buzz everywhere if he sets the relief lower than about 75-80 thou. 

He checked serial # and apparently she was made on a Friday. ( hard 2 believe)

YouTube videos show the static thru amp issue pretty clearly. I will probably swap the rear covers to deal with that.

The strings cutting hard into rear of bridge between the bridge and tailpiece I will " fix" by doing the tail wrap thing with the strings.

Not a huge deal as I was going 2 do that anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

you clearly seemed to have found a real dog.

sorry for all your troubles.

If you get the right one, (aka a real good one), there's really nothing that comes close to a well put together and setup Les Paul.

Edited by kidblast

• 1 month later...

It has been over 2.5 years since I wrote (above) about buying my 2019 Studio Tribute and it is still one of my favorite guitars.

I really like the dot inlays and uncovered pickups, I don't care for fancy or gaudy extras (like gold plating) that add cost but don't improve performance.  I am too old to care about impressing anyone.  It is great that Gibson went back to the trap inlays the next year, mine is now rare and unusual.

Mine is perfect, flawless build and plays and sounds great.  I have had to adjust the neck and file the fret ends (there is really low humidity here in the desert) but no problems. 

There have been a few times I've considered buying a higher model but mine is so good that spending a lot to upgrade really wouldn't get me a lot better guitar.  All my opinion, of course.

I bought a high-end Epi LP in 2018 that came with US-made Gibson Classic 57 and Super 57 pickups, both 4 wire with P/P pots for coil splitting and out of phase wiring.  I am going to transfer those (zebra) pickups to the Gibson, bought 4 P/P CTS pots and orange drop caps and will wire them with Jimmy Page wiring.  With those pickups this LP will be all that I need.

Edited by Randy99CL