Gibson Brands Forums

Your PICKUP choice for the Les Paul

VBB

Hi,

looking to upgrade my pickups, and I like my bridge, but want a new Neck PU. What do you like for a bluesy sound. I like warm and a little note/string clarity while cording, but mostly want blues tones (almost p-90 or the 335 sound from a humbucker)???

thanks,

Val

Bluesy tones?

You can't go wrong here:

Gibson 57's and Burst Buckers

Lollar Imperial Humbucker

You should really hear how bluesy is my SG with the Gibson Burst Buckersin the neck position. Seriously, dude... it's creamy, warm, soft and round.

She can be much more bluesy than my Strat or my Tele if you got the right aproach.

Well the ES-335 is a humbucker.

I've been a DiMarzio user for about 27/28 years now and I've been happy with their pups.

I've recently added a DiMarzio Air Classic in the neck and so far, so good. Honestly though it's only been in the guitar for about 6 months and I don't think that is enough time to judge completly - I also changed pots and caps.

Why don't you look at Seymour Duncan P-rails? They can be humbucker, p-90, or single coil all from the same pup.

try playing (with your picking hand) a little nearer the neck p/up' date=' (with neck p/up selected) It may just give you the sound you're looking for? Just a thought...[/quote']

That helps a lot too. Experimenting with your right hand to see the tones you can achieve playing with different techniques and approaches. Picking harder, softer.

But I'm pretty sure you know this stuff =)

I do use the right hand technique.

I like the sound out of a 57 classic plus and the BB is pretty good too, but I have only played them for a few minutes. Which BB, I understand there are number 1, 2 and 3's?

Would the P-90 in HB form sound good with the bridge together (I often like both on)?

I do use the right hand technique.

I like the sound out of a 57 classic plus and the BB is pretty good too' date=' but I have only played them for a few minutes. Which BB, I understand there are number 1, 2 and 3's?

Would the P-90 in HB form sound good with the bridge together (I often like both on)?[/quote']

Extremely tasty and nasty stuff.

But it's extremely personal. You might like it or not.

BB 1 Lower output (excels in the neck position)

BB 2 hotter output (Excels at bridge position)

BB3 Even hotter (maybe too hot for blues)

Well, if you dig the middle position a lot then I recommend going for 2 P90's, for the best tone and volume balance....but a P90 in the bridge position might give you not enough output or the tone you're looking for.

Blues is mostly in the fingers. There's nobody who can tell you what the 'correct' hand technique is, cause there isn't any. If you have feeling/soul in your playing, then 'technique' doesn't matter at all (in my book).

I think Guitar Slinger is right about the Lollar Imperial humbuckers. They are great pickups with great character (for the purist), but those might not be the pups you're looking for.

There are so many pickups available; it's all taste and preference. I don't know anything about your Les Paul and set-up, so it's pretty hard to give decent advice.

I think P-90's are great for blues, cause there seems to be more 'room' and air between the notes + they're very touch sensitive. P90's really let you dig the tone.

Well' date=' if you dig the middle position a lot then I recommend going for 2 P90's, for the best tone and volume balance....but a P90 in the bridge position might give you not enough output or the tone you're looking for.

Blues is mostly in the fingers. There's nobody who can tell you what the 'correct' hand technique is, cause there isn't any. If you have feeling/soul in your playing, then 'technique' doesn't matter at all (in my book).

I think Guitar Slinger is right about the Lollar Imperial humbuckers. They are great pickups with great character (for the purist), but those might not be the pups you're looking for.

There are so many pickups available; it's all taste and preference. I don't know anything about your Les Paul and set-up, so it's pretty hard to give decent advice.

I think P-90's are great for blues, cause there seems to be more 'room' and air between the notes + they're very touch sensitive. P90's really let you dig the tone.[/quote']

+1 Well said

Wish I could hear an LP with a P90 Neck 57 Classic Plus Bridge. Would be cool but rather odd looking don't ya think?

Thanks guys, good info.

My LP is an Original Robot. I have the tail piece screwed down tight with bridge up, so the angle of strings between these is steep (great for sustain and sound like a solid body in a chambered LP).

I love the ebony fretboard, love the color (colorblind and can really only see blue) and I love the bridge pickup (498T)

I like the sound of uncovered PU's, but want to keep the look stock. I play combination of pick and finger.

Thanks much

I rarely change pickups and love the 490R in the neck of my Custom. If I were you, I'd try changing the height of your current pickup - lower for more mellow and balanced or higher for more focused - and see how that works out before bothering to swap in another pickup.

I rarely change pickups and love the 490R in the neck of my Custom. If I were you' date=' I'd try changing the height of your current pickup - lower for more mellow and balanced or higher for more focused - and see how that works out before bothering to swap in another pickup.[/quote']

+1. Lowering or raising the pickups will have more influence on the overall tone than switching to different pickups with the same type of output etc.

If lowering/raising doesn't help you enough to achieve what you want, then different pickups might be the correct solution.

VVB: You must know your guitar and set-up in every aspect before you're going to switch to a different pickup set. Ask yourself: 'What do I exactly need in the new pickups'? Different pickups aint gonna give you a different 'tone', they can only give the guitar its right balance which means that they can let the wood shine through in the right way when amplified. When I say 'the right way' I mean an optimal balance between lows, mids and highs. If the bass strings overpower the mids and highs, then there's something wrong. If there isn't enough bass while there's too much treble, then there's something wrong too. You might like a bass heavy or very trebly guitar, but I like my guitars to be as balanced as possible within their own borders.

I'll try raising and lowering the pickup.

Have any of you guys done the Kalamazoo mode (I think that's what it's called) It's just where you adjust the pole pieces in relationship to each other. I think it goes like this with the slots for the screws / / / Might be alittle more toward each other?

Thanks to some good advice on here, I adjusted the problem pickup. I raised the low E end and lowered the high E side of the neck pickup. Man what a difference. I can actually hear each string when playing a chord. It's not perfect, but improved enough to spend some time working with it.

Next, I think I'll experiment with the pole piece height.

thanks all,

Val

Archived