Gibson Brands Forums

J 45 Tuner swap out

RHANK

I recently purchase a new 2018 J 45 standard at a great price and would like to change out the Grover tuners. The only thing that I can find that drops in place with the threaded bushing are the Grover Deluxe. I would only have to drill the upper hole because the bottom hole is a fit. I would rather use the Whit button tuners instead, but it would come with more work and more holes.

I would like a more vintage vibe if possible without a lot of work.post-84538-092877100 1536857968_thumb.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input

I recently purchase a new 2018 J 45 standard at a great price and would like to change out the Grover tuners. The only thing that I can find that drops in place with the threaded bushing are the Grover Deluxe. I would only have to drill the upper hole because the bottom hole is a fit. I would rather use the Whit button tuners instead, but it would come with more work and more holes.

I would like a more vintage vibe if possible without a lot of work.post-84538-092877100 1536857968_thumb.png

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input

You're correct about it being more work to convert to the 3-on-a-plate white button tuners because of the need to use conversion bushings. You'll have to just slightly ream the pegged holes when installing the conversion bushings because they are just a little too large to just press then in, otherwise you'll risk splitting the headstock. Then you're going to be left with the "raccoon eyes" from the Rotomatic washers and to do it properly should sand the headstock to get rid of those the best you can.

I'm actually going this route for my J45. Ordered the tuners and bushings and I'm just going to have a shop do the install. I'm actually super comfortable with reaming and installing the tuners, it's the sanding of the headstock to get rid of the raccoon eyes that makes me a little nervous. I did all the measurements and the 3-on-a-plate tuners will line up perfectly from post to post with the existing holes, you just have to use the 3/8 StewMac conversion bushings.

SB which 3 on a plate did you decide on? The ones that I was looking at on Stew Mac did not have the 1/4 inch string shaft. They were slightly smaller in diameter and I was afraid that they would be sloppy in the 3/8 conversion bushing offered there.

SB which 3 on a plate did you decide on? The ones that I was looking at on Stew Mac did not have the 1/4 inch string shaft. They were slightly smaller in diameter and I was afraid that they would be sloppy in the 3/8 conversion bushing offered there.

You are 100% correct, as all options on the StewMac website have a shaft diameter that's a little under 1/4". They will still work, you'll just have a little space around the opening the bushing. If you look at the photo below closely you can see a little gap on the G, B, & E tuners regarding the slightly narrower shaft diameter with the conversion bushings:

WnjT5iA.jpg

I ended up going with these Klusons I picked up off of amazon. The are listed as having 1/4" tuner shafts, and the StewMac conversion bushings say that they specifically work with tuners with 1/4" shafts, so we'll see once they arrive! If they truly are 1/4" it may be a very tight fit with little wiggle room, and I may end up needing the 3-on-a-plate tuners with the slightly marrow shafts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZPAEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

uMM8Ppe.jpg

Archived