Gibson Brands Forums

Broken neck

rage941

I'm looking at an SG special with a repaired broken neck. Is it okay if it's a quality repair job? Will I have any problems with it? I searched and I didn't find anything.

Here is a pic

99b9_12.JPG

Thanks

It should be ok if it was repaired correctly!Sometimes a repaired neck will be even stronger afterwards.

Okay cool. What would be a fair price for one with a broken neck? It's a 2006 Gibson SG Special.

I'm not real sure! BUt i would say somewhere in the $400-$600 range.Elderly Instruments had a 98 SG deluxe that had a busted body and neck and they were asking $600.Heres some pics of it.

30U-14659_front-detail-2.jpg

30U-14659_back-detail-2.jpg

30U-14659_heel.jpg

Specials go for a little over $1000 new, and you can find one used on eBay for a few hundred under that. That one should maybe be anywhere between $500 and $800. I could see it going for more if the neck was refinished to hide the crack afterwords, but it wasn't. It looks like a nice finish though, do you have any more pics?

yeah here are some more:

581c_12.JPG

6722_12.JPG

7b7f_12.JPG

8aea_12.JPG

9233_12.JPG

By the way, I have a White Gibson SG standard right now. I'm thinking about selling that one to buy this one(yes i Know I'm down grading). I wan't to downgrade because I need the extra cash, so if I can sell mine, buy this and still have a Gibson and get some extra cash, I wan't to do it.

How much difference will I feel/hear going from a Standard to a Special? A lot, a little?

Okay cool. What would be a fair price for one with a broken neck? It's a 2006 Gibson SG Special.

Check out the bid ending prices on SG Specials. Used SG Specials don't go for a lot.

SGs with broken neck on eBay rarely get sold. Hold out 'til the last minute. I wouldn't pay more than $400USD.

That sure is a pretty Sg i like the blue.

I asked him if he would be interested in my standard plus cash on his end. Let's see if he's willing to.

Would my white sg would go for more than a black or red standard because white is a rare color?

I asked him if he would be interested in my standard plus cash on his end. Let's see if he's willing to.

Would my white sg would go for more than a black or red standard because white is a rare color?

Yeah I've always wanted a blue SG.

Stay away from it-the guitar is basically firewood. You will always have problems with tuning,truss rod stability,etc. No matter how good the repair is, it's still a guitar with a broken neck,just like a car with a salvage title. ie NO RESALE VALUE!

Stay away from it-the guitar is basically firewood. You will always have problems with tuning' date='truss rod stability,etc. No matter how good the repair is, it's still a guitar with a broken neck,just like a car with a salvage title. ie NO RESALE VALUE![/quote']

:D

Stay away from it-the guitar is basically firewood. You will always have problems with tuning' date='truss rod stability,etc. No matter how good the repair is, it's still a guitar with a broken neck,just like a car with a salvage title. ie NO RESALE VALUE![/quote']

That is the same analogy that popped in my head..the car thing.

But everyone else seemed okay with it...have you had experience with one before?

The most I'd give for the Special would be $250. That's about half the cost of one that's in fair condition.

The broken headstock will always keep anyone from paying much for it, so you'd take a beating if you paid more and had to re-sell.

If it's fixed by a good luthier you'll have no problems.

Mate, it's almost common knowledge that a glued Gibson will be stronger than a stock one because of the angle of the headstock and the wood grain.

There is alot of people who'll defend strongly that position, including that nutcase Ed Roman who states that Gibson should first break the headstocks, repair it and then finish it so it will be stronger.

Slash's case is farily know in the guitar world because his main axe busted the neck during a show and after fixed it was stronger and ha a better tone than ever.

So I would say that you pay something around $250 or $300 and get yourself a fine instrument =)

Because I've heard it said so many times. All too often people let a good guitar go for various reasons and then regret it later. Good guitars are better than money in the bank ! It's easy for me to say this - obviously I don't know your situation, but I'd stick with what you have.

The bit about the guitar being stronger with a correctly repaired headstock is totally false. Reason it logically. Something is only as strong as its weakest link. So even if the glue joint was repaired properly, the guitar can alsways break somewhere else on the headstock,so even if the GLUE JOINT is stronger, it's still only as strong as the wood surrounding it. And psychologically,do you want a "repaired headstock" guitar? Checked out an original '61 SG/Les Paul in Jersey awhile back,with sideways vibrato that was for sale. The guitar was SO MINT that it looked like a brand new re-issue. The headstock had been repaired and finished over--the job ws SO immaculate you couldn't tell. If the owner hadn't told me,I NEVER would have known. The guitar would NOT stay in tune at all. BTW this particular in this post looks like it was repaired by a blind chimpanzee!

Archived