Gibson Brands Forums

Dove Love

Brad2001

On 9/17/2018 at 9:51 PM, Brad2001 said:

As the thread title suggests, I really dig my guitar. I've played since 1979 but the Dove is the first and very likely only fine guitar I will ever own. I like others no doubt, but have no desire to possess them as I have exactly what I want. Built in 97' bought new in 2000 for 1200$ cash plus an Ovation, Ibenez 12 string and a laminated Tama drum set (hated to give up the new Zildjians), I felt I got the better side of the deal. I have come to the Gibson site looking for Gibson lovers, not bashers. To hear it on some other sites, every other brand guitar is crafted in heaven by angels and polished with unicorn tears whereas Gibs, well you know. I am aware of whats' happening in the business world and what quality concerns there have been, but my guitar is heaven sent. I played every fine instrument in town twice before I bought, it took me a couple of years to save the money, I'm now a semi retired working class guy. Once I decided on maple Gibsons, I had to choose between a SJ-200 an Everly Bros J-180 and my Dove. The Dove took it based on sound, not sight. Some say it's too blingy, I would have bought it had it been unseen, polka dotted and triangular shaped, it sounded that good. I've never experienced GAS. Enough is as good as a feast IMO. I'm not going to find a better guitar than what I own. I hope that everyone can feel as good about their guitar I do. I do have a question about something I've read here regarding label coloring in Gibsons. Mine is orange. Can someone elaborate on that? The other question is regarding pricing. In 2000 when I purchased, I think list price was somewhere about 2500$ or so, now I see MSRP at 4500$. Allowing for the passing of years and inflations et al., have prices risen so dramatically or did I just get a great deal on a fine instrument? Be well.

I  like you fell in love with my 1990 Dove that I purchased in 1991. I paid $1,175 with tax and never regretted the purchase. My son at the time was a teenager and been in many bands at that time loved the sound and playability of that guitar. I tried a Hummingbird first, and I was not impressed. It could have been not a good representative of the model, but as soon as I played a couple of songs on the Dove, I was sold. All the guitar players in my son's bands loved it too. It became the envy of everyone who played it. I had a stroke back in 2011, and had to stop playing her. But up till that time, I played her for a couple of hours every day after work. It definitely got better with age the 20 years I played her. My grandson will inherit next February when he turns 18. It is still in great shape because of the care I had given her through out the years. It is one of the seven Tabaco burst manufactured in 1990. There is absolutely no finish checking in the finish, just a bunch of dings in the finish. It is still in great shape for a thirty year guitar.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich H. said:

I  like you fell in love with my 1990 Dove that I purchased in 1991. I paid $1,175 with tax and never regretted the purchase. My son at the time was a teenager and been in many bands at that time loved the sound and playability of that guitar. I tried a Hummingbird first, and I was not impressed. It could have been not a good representative of the model, but as soon as I played a couple of songs on the Dove, I was sold. All the guitar players in my son's bands loved it too. It became the envy of everyone who played it. I had a stroke back in 2011, and had to stop playing her. But up till that time, I played her for a couple of hours every day after work. It definitely got better with age the 20 years I played her. My grandson will inherit next February when he turns 18. It is still in great shape because of the care I had given her through out the years. It is one of the seven Tabaco burst manufactured in 1990. There is absolutely no finish checking in the finish, just a bunch of dings in the finish. It is still in great shape for a thirty year guitar.  

Do post a pic - the t-bursts can be ultra-kool. Hopefully you'll return to some degree of playing. 

• 2 months later...

Mine became my #2 this past week, edging down my Hummingbird Standard and my D41. It happened a couple days, a day or two after putting on a set of Sunbeams. They seemed to complete that tonal balance thing for me.

One great thing about a Dove for me is that it leaves room for my vocals almost as nicely as an SJ-200(RW or Maple). One other great thing, in my book, is that it responds in a positive manner to whatever pick, set of strings or *playing style I try. It's as if it answers by saying, "Sure, I can do that!" It's even pretty sounding after a few humid days on the rack.

(fwiw - I have no idea about finger-style when I write "playing style I try." As Carl from Slingblade would say, "I never been no count at it. mmm hmmm.")